Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gizmo

For Phil....

Why does nVidia keep pushing these borked FS9 and FSX profiles on us anyway. I'd be happy if they never included them in future drivers again!Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

>Phil, has anyone from Aces spoke to Nvidia about their latest>drivers (160 series) ?, which will not let us set AA in FSX &>FS2004, so far the only way to use the AA setting in the>Nvidia Control Panel is to use the Nhancer utility which with>the very latest driver (169.01) will not work now. I've read>where the problem is Nvidia set the AA flag for both sims to>"Enhance Only" in the profiles for both sims in its latest>drivers, any help Aces could provide to get rid of the jaggies>would be great, thanks.I have used quite a few of the 16# series drivers and AA and AF always worked ok in FSX. When I use the 169.01 release I loose at least 15 frames.I am currently using the 158.27 release. It has always been the best for my setup.

Enabling VSync was always a recommendation for TrackIR4 users and with my old CRT monitor this certainly reduced tearing during panning but then I read somewhere that this setting didn't apply to LCD monitors and in fact I now find no difference in tearing with my LCD Samsung 204b monitors whether or not VSync is on or off. I guess as in most things IT YMMV.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I think it really depends on your framerate. If you're running at 20 fps or less your LCD monitor has a chance to get at least 3 refresh cycles of the screen in per frame in the game. That will generally reduce tearing. The next factor up is 30 fps (where I am) and you only have two refresh cycles per frame, so tearing is quite visible. CRTs are a lot better in this regard, typically 90hz refresh or better, so screen tearing is less visible. I'm actually starting to miss my old 50lb sony 20" for precisely this reason, for colour depth as well. ;)It also depends on the pixel latency of your LCD screen. Fast ones in the sub 5ms range will show tearing more readily. Older 8ms LCDs will hide it a bit due to their natural latency/ghosting.And yes this is more of an issue for track-ir users, myself included. Those without them won't notice it as much in normal flight, the panel takes up half the screen and is static, so it won't tear. Those without track-irs will probably notice it in aerobatics or races though. Some people are extremely sensitive to the screen tearing effect and I'm one of those. I'm not kidding when I say it gives me a headache.As for the nHancer thing, my basic understanding from spending a few days on the guru3d forums is that Nvidia isn't exactly fond of its existance. There seems to be a bit of contention between the two camps, hence the constantly changing profile protection built in to the Nvidia drivers. Nhancer isn't working because that profile system changed yet again with the 169 series of drivers. Eventually the nHancer guys will beat it of course with a new version and the cycle will continue. Telling a tweaker not to tweak is like telling anyone else not to breathe. ;)

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Here's the current situation best as I can tell with the 169.04 betas:This is the line in the nvapps.xml under the "MS Flight Simulator 2004" file that's the cause of a lot of the AA problems:nHancer calls this xml flag "AA:Enhance Only".The idea behind this setting is that you check the AA box inside FS and then use the driver control panel or nHancer to basically apply AA at the level you choose but only to the things the engine deems necessary to have AA on them.I don't personally like this setting because I want the option of AA'ing the entire scene with the 8XS mode, which helps to eliminate a lot of the alpha texture (trees, power poles etc) shimmering that people often complain about it. A few revisions ago, Nvidia made the driver hash check nvapps.xml and it no longer allows you to change or delete these "predefined" flags in the profiles. I'd developed a workaround using nHancer which I posted at the nZone forums - this however no longer works because nHancer doesn't work with these drivers.-------So - the current situation:FSX - everything works fine in DX9. The profile for FSX does NOT have the prevent_cpl_aa flag, and AA works fine both in Windowed and Full Screen mode. I do not have a DX10 card yet, but people have reported issues with it.FS9 - the prevent_cpl_aa flag IS in the profile. I currently cannot enable AA in any way with these drivers. The AA checkbox in FS does not work and neither does setting an AA level in the control panel. nHancer does not work with these drivers.nHancer - Nvidia keeps changing the structure of nvapps.xml and each time they do this it breaks nHancer. The author is working on a new version but who knows if they're gonna change the file again etc...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I also keep trying all the lastest drivers for my (2) EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB Cards.In all cases I continue to roll back my Vista 32 to the original NVidia Video Drivers shipped with this Computer which are158.247.15.11.5824 NVidia has updated my EVGA nForce 680i MB 2 times in the past several months and my computer manuf (which is a new Alienware Area 51 ALX Intel duo core extreme) recommended not to use any new Video Drivers yet but only update the drivers for the NVidia Control Panel Container. Their research continues to show unstable performance for FS9/FSX using 16# Series Drivers pertaining to FS9/FSX but not the OS of Vista.

Thanks for that elaboration I'm certainly no expert here. I'm fixed at 30 fps and 8ms latency and there is still some minimal tearing with vsync on or off. I would like to have no tearing at all but as I said vsync setting makes no difference on my rig.Just on this nHancer thing, I ignore the profiles and use my own global settings (162.18 drivers).Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

>Phil,>>If you guys can, can you PLEASE ask Nvidia to fix that>ridiculous windowed mode AA bug that's been around forever>where if a tooltip or anything 2D gets overlayed on the sim>the whole screen below it turns into an old frozen image from>when you first loaded the sim?>>The only ways to fix it are to turn AA off, size the window to>something other than maximized, or run full screen.>>I can provide them with exact steps to reproduce it if they>need them.>>It would be absolutely huge if they could fix this, the bug's>been around since the FS2002 days.hey, Ryan, you should be able to fix it (temporarily) by turning off tooltips....that's what I do...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I must say that I think this is a really important feature and I would hate not to have it. But I've owned several nVidia cards in the past, and a couple of ATI cards, and I've never run across it(?). It definitely exists as it is well documented, but I wonder what the difference is?You didn't mention what your hardware was. I own an 8800 GTS 640MB now, plus for FS2004 I've had a GeForce3 128MB, and whatever top of the line was for Dell C840 and D800 Lattitude laptops was (4400 Go or something, I forget), plus I've had a couple of ATI cards, 9800 Pro 128MB and X300 mobility 64 MB.For FS2004, I always used the AA on the card and set it to around 4x or 8x I think. For FSX, I've been using application controlled. I don't have Acceleration loaded on the 8800 yet, but I am using it on the X300.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest JIMJAM

Mine is getting worse.I stopped using the menus so I can at least fly.Now when I try to do a mission, CCCRRRAASSSHHHHH

For the menus, I was having a problem that my menus would get all jumbled up and I couldn't read them, and they looked almost totally transparent. Then somebody suggested a fix, and it worked!I went into the display properties/settings/advanced/Direct3D tab and I moved the MipMap Detail level from Performance to Quality. I also changed the Texture Preference from performance to Quality. I'm not sure which it was that fixed it, but it worked! Granted, I wasn't getting crashes, and I'm sorry but I haven't read the other thread since I'm not getting crashes, but maybe this might help for you?Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg