Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gizmo

For Phil....

Please don't forget V-Sync either. The fsx.cfg entries to force it on are no longer working in sp2, and although Vsync can be forced on through the driver in both xp and vista DX9, it is totally non-functional in DX10. Driver forcing doesn't work.

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

That's fine, you don't like VSync. Others do I'm sure, and I definitely do. FSX has natural variability in its framerate even when hitting your fps lock consistently, always jumping up and down 0.1 - 1 fps and that leads to screen tearing without Vsync. Without VSync I end up with a headache in about 10 mins. ;) It's not about beating the monitor's refresh rate, its about having a stable image.Regardless it used to work and now it doesn't except for forcing through the driver in dx9 and it's totally gone in dx10.

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

My understanding is that with LCD monitors (which most of us have these days) VSync is irrelevant so why all the angst?Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

The original topic/question was for Phil, has anyone from Aces said something to Nvidia about their latest 160 series drivers that will not allow Anti-aliasing in FS2004 & FSX ? due to Nvidia changing the profile (AA flag set to "Enhance Only") in its 160 series drivers for both sims.

Forum member Tabs is the man who really knows whats going on with Nvidia and its drivers, he showed us how to get AA working with Enhancer but now even that doesn't work with the latest 169 drivers.

Guest j0nx

I ran some more tests and my results are still the same. Sitting at Dillingham with the megascenery and aerosoft addons i get very good framerates with the eye candy turned up in dx10. Load up a major city somewhere and the framerate goes south and stuttery regardless of the level of options. Water being the biggest frame rate killer. Overall dx10 is causing me to lose on average 50% of my framerate with the same level of detail as in dx9. I find it hard to believe that this is a driver issue but I am not a programmer so what do i know. Something is amiss is all i know and i would sure like to see it sorted.

Hi Bruce,"My understanding is that with LCD monitors (which most of us have these days) VSync is irrelevant"Well no, that's not strictly true. My LCD Samsung 226BW has a native refresh of 60 Hertz and I have noted distracting tearing with VSync off. Same with my previous LCD.I quote from Koroush Ghazi's very informative "ATI Catalyst Tweak Guide" : "Whenever you enable VSync in a game, you will get better image quality due to the removal of 'tearing', however if you enable VSync your average FPS also drops sometimes by up to 50%, because of the way your graphics card waits for data to be synchronized before displaying it on your monitor. The only way to enable VSync and be rid of tearing, yet at the same time not have to worry about reduced framerates in Direct3D games is to enable this Triple Buffering option (the main Catalyst Control Center Triple Buffering option only works for OpenGL games). However if you enable Triple Buffering on a graphics card with less Video RAM, you may experience mouse lag, so if you use VSync enable this option first, then disable it (and preferably disable VSync too) if you experience mouse lag."I could be wrong, but I think the triple buffering aspect may only be useful for games in which you are achieving frame rates well in excess of your monitor's native refresh rate.Mike

Phil,An aside. While you all are nudging nVidia about enabling AA/AF in FSX, might you also politely ask that they do the same for FS2004? (Or at least that they allow the "nHancer-type" workaround in their next set of drivers?)Thanks,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest j0nx

I agree. I have had no problems with AA in dx10 fsx with the newer drivers except for the aircraft chooser menu. I am having nothing but trouble getting the anatropic filtering working in fs9 though. AA works fine, but the filtering just wont work regardless if i use a profile or not.

Guest stpierce

V sync is needed in FSX and also with LCD monitors. If using TrackIR, you will get tearing in the image when looking from side to side. So just because it doesn't seem important to you, it is for some of us.