Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYURDRMS

Acceleraton Mission problem

Guest NYURDRMS

I was trying to fly one of the first missions in the new expansion pack the Resort Resupply mission (fun mission by the way). However while flying to the third airport in the Beech Baron, I was climbing up through the mountains then all of a sudden my manifold pressure started dropping to nothing. I tried adjusting the mixture to no avail, and I was only around 5000 feet, so I don't think that would have been a big factor. All other guages read OK, fuel was ~85% full, and fuel flow was fine. Both Magnetos were on. I couldn't find any kind of carb heat, but I believe the Beech is Fuel injected, so I don't think that was it.And the mission didn't seem to respond like there was a problem, so I think it must be something I could have done.Anybody have any ideas?I am going to try the mission again in a little while.Chad

Sounds like icing, what was the weather conditions and OAT? If it was icing try turning on the prop ice and pitot heat.

Guest NYURDRMS

Thanks for the quick response, I meant to mention that in my post, it was flying in the snowy mountains. Not sure the temp, but snow everywhere, so I am sure there were icy conditions, however, I did have all three of the anti-icing switches on, I think they were, Prop, Pitot, and Boot. So I don't think that was it, unless, I am missing another anti-icing switch.

It just sounds like something screwed up to me. The Baron has an automatic spring door that will pop open in case you got induction icing-so even if fsx was modelling induction icing (which I don't know if it does) -that should not have been a problem. However-since it is a "mission" who knows what was programmed (and I suppose the spring loaded door could malfucntion). I'd try it again and see what happens-looking forward to hearing your report.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Yeah,This mission drove me nuts! As fun as they are at times... they would be a lot less frustrating if a little more guidance was provided on what actions need to be taken. I believe the drop in manifold pressure is an attempt to simulate structural icing... not sure why they chose to do it this way and why I'm getting icing in clear air with no precip - but I won't go there. Here's how to complete the mission: fly back down the valley (the way you came in) and stay at or below 4500' - the power reduction kicks in at 4500 MSL. Check the GPS and once your back in the MOA (the magenta border) start turning right (west). Straddle the MOA border (or just inside it) and the terrain should be low enough to fly over. After a few minutes (you'll know when because the terrain starts to rise again) you should notice that you'll be able to climb without losing power. Climb up to around 9000' and weave your way through the Mountains toward the airport (be careful about weaving too far to the east or you'll hit the icing zone again and lose power in some very unfriendly terrain). Hope this helps.M.D.

I had the same problem with icing and out of habit, hit the "h" key for carb heat. Worked fine and the engine gained RPM. BTW this was after turning on the de-ice switches. Interesting, huh?

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Guest NYURDRMS

I noticed another de-icing switch located in the VC, just to the left of the yoke. Seems to be able to turned on from the VC, but isn't modeled in the 2d cockpit. Weird thing for MS to design in a mission, without any dialog to help, or any real obvious solution. Very frustrating.Anyway, I ended up flying the rest of the mission on the regular route with that switch turned on, with no problems.Thanks to all of you that completed the mission already for not giving away the ending and ruining it. Fun mission. I really love this part of FSX.

I did this mission last night. I did get a dialog from the co-pilot telling me we were starting to build up ice. I turned the pitot heat on and that solved it. I enjoyed this mission and actually all the missions in FSX. I hope they continue to include them in future releases. Jim

Guest NYURDRMS

I guess maybe I didn't get that dialog as I already had the pitot tube heat already on. Just a wierd catch.

Guest ZAZZ

I've been having problems on this mission too. My problem occurs at the third landing when I taxi up to the Maule. Nothing happens. I have tried circling it and stopping in various positions relative to it, I've tried rasing the flaps, turning off de-ice, etc. Any ideas?Thanks,-ZZ