Sign in to follow this  
Guest zelmo

Aperiodic yaw problem

Guest zelmo

Greetings:I've recently started to have strange yaw problems when flying.I'm unable to find any pattern, but especially when approaching dense autogen scenery areas, the airplane will yaw quickly and unexpectedly. The extent of the yaw varies between a couple of degrees, and maybe 20 or so degrees at worst.The airplane might yaw in either direction to start, and just as quickly returns to the original heading. FWIW, the heading gyro gauge reflects the yaw -- in other words, it's NOT just the view that's changing.I haven't done any add-ons, changed control yokes, or anything else, and I think my rudder pedals (Saitek) are working OK. It doesn't seem to matter what airplane I'm flying either.At one point, I thought maybe it had something to do with real world weather, but I disproved that theory last night.Has anyone else seen this, and is there a fix?BTW, all yokes, joysticks and rudder pedals are USB.Thanks,-z-

Guest phenom

I had this exact same problem the other day in the default Lear on an early-AM flight from Detroit to New York. Matter of fact, I was at 2000 feet to intercept the localizer at KLGA when my plane suddenly and unexpectedly rolled over and crashed. I didn't have my hands on the controls at all and tend to think it was another yaw anomaly. Weather was nice and didn't change during the flight, was on autopilot at FL400 for the cruise, Saitek 45 joystick via USB and FSX w/Acceleration on Vista Ultimate with current drivers.:shrug:

Guest YEGspotter

I've had a similar problem when using autopilot and time compression. It seems whenever I have the autopilot set and I go above 4x time compression, the aircraft starts pitching up and down, quite violently. This isn't a random problem for me either, it happens whenever I use time compression (over 4x) and the autopilot. I had a co-worker of mine try a similar scenario, and he too had the problem - so I know it's nothing related to my setup (FSX is pretty generic on my system - the only add-on I'm using is Megascenery Oahu.) If anyone else has experienced this problem, and found a solution - let me know. As it stands right now, I will be forced to uninstall FSX entirely, and reinstall without Acceleration....cheers

Guest zelmo

FWIW, this happens when flying real-time, not speeded up, and also when hand-flying (not autopilot).Additionally, I have not yet installed Acceleration, but I did install MegaScenery SoCal. I tried uninstalling the latter as a test -- it made no difference.-z-

Might also consider wind shear. FSX is known to not slowly shift winds but instantly go from one reading to the next. Of course, that's using real weather with download winds aloft turned on. I see this fairly ofter. Shift-Z lets you track the current winds.Phill

Guest YEGspotter

For me though, it's a constant pitch up and down - I'll drop about 500' then climb about 500'. There's too much of a pattern to it, for me to believe that it's shifting winds or wind shear.cheers

You're right, a pitch problem is not the same. The OPs is seen as a sudden yaw motion which I've seen since FS9 days with real weather.Phill

Guest zelmo

Ah, I hadn't thought of wind sheer between layers when using "real" weather.I did switch from "fair" to "real" at about the same time that I started noticing the problem, and thinking back, it does seem to happen when I'm descending from cruise to approach.I'll report back, and thanks all for the suggestions!-z-