Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

This is a sad day....

I just hope the OP doesn't feel like we're diminishing his post, because it was a good heart felt comment on his part.I just saw your edit above also....ROFL ROFL...huffing AvGas now are we?????

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest JIMJAM

People are accustomed to being able to throw money at a problem and make it go away.This does not work with MS flight sims. Never hasPeople read that the lastest greatest Nvidia HAL4000 can run the lastest shooter at 6 million frames per second so they race out and buy it.This does not work with MS flight sims. Never has.Performance increases in sims in measured in very small increments per very big $$$$.

>And simply put, due to the outright, pure volatility of the>topic, for those who are enjoying the new sim, it's still>pretty difficult to work up the gumption to post something>positive about it because it almost seems inevitable that such>a post would be greated with disparaging anti-Microsoft>comments, or that you'd be called an "FSX Elitist", "a really excited user">or "Apologist" - names I have seen here in the past, created>for and applied to FSX users who speak of having the fun you>mention. Or, more recently if one is lucky, it only might>degrade to another moot discussion about Crysis or Windlight.>So FSX has kinda become an illicit kind of enjoyment,>where it must be enjoyed privately behind closed doors, or in>the backseat of the family Buick parked out by the lake at>night. What we have here, is a failure to communicate. :) I am reluctant to express my disappointment in FSX for exactly the same reasons. I also need other people to share my experience. (misery:)). There must be a name for this social situation in which two people believe (for the same reasons) their opposite experiences will be belittled on the same forum. LOL.Bob...

While I had bought FSX about a week after release to market, and with a lot of other users, tweaked it to death on a machine that renders FS9 so beautifully...and finally not getting it to perform enough to suspend 'disbelief' I decided to sell it to a friend.This was the first time I have ever wanted to divest myself of software and of course take a loss financially for doing so.But hey, each to their own. There are many (Geofa for one) that simply love FSX and all the power to each and every one of them. Why shouldn't they have a blast, if their needs have been met? Unfortunately, for a lot of us, it didn't.Those are the breaks, and that's life.What is a sad day to me, is that past the release of FSX, there is no more 'energy' in the forums. I mean...quite positive, up-beat energy of:"Oh Wow....hey people, have you seen this? Have you tried that feature? Here is a tweak that makes it even BETTER!"Vibrant energy that ran through the FS9 era posts, as persons upgraded their boxes and then GOT the performance they had hoped for. Not one person couldn't do that by merely opening up his or her wallet/purse.Oh yeah...there was MAJOR energy at first with FSX's initial release. People saw sub-par performance on their present machines...and some early adopters went out and dropped THOUSANDS of dollars on a new system for the single express motivation of wanting one $80.00 program to run efficiently and smoothly. For most, even with spending that loot, ...it has been fleeting at best.Wait for DX10. Wait for DX10 enabled cards. Wait for the drivers to fire them up. Wait for SP1. Wait for SP2. Wait...wait...Acceleration was delivered not ten days ago, and the posts have trailed off. The excitement of the first day died on the stake as within MINUTES it seems, the bug and angst posts started appearing.For every one post discussing the new feature, or added feature that came with Acceleration, there were twenty that seemed to say; "that I can't even get this to work, by putting this on my system, things that DID work, preinstall, now do not", and on and on.Guys and gals...this is only one person's personal opinion, but in hindsight, I feel that FSX did more harm to the flight sim community then it did to advance the hobby. We have two camps now, FS9 and FSX that has never happened before! Never! All the energy in the past,was focused in the forums on the most **current release**.A sad day. Since Acceleration's release, and disappointments in the implementation of the long-awaited DX10 'promise' to those that early adopted the hardware for it, and all the other headaches for those that put it onto their systems, this forum has all the excitement of a morgue! I'm NOT talking about the amount of posts, but rather the ENERGY of the posts. It is simply and chronically--lacking.Many, MANY persons are totally dis-heartened now. Many are deflated. You can see this even in their choice of syntax within their posts. The DX10 bubble of hope has burst.I hope so much, that if the next release of FS indeed gets created and comes out, that it will be right out of the shrink-wrap---a working MARVEL, that within a month after release, MOST persons will be right on-board---totally enjoying, perhaps (as we all like to tinker)tweaking for this and that to EMBELLISH the already great performance on the user's high-end machine of the day of release!I raise a glass to that hope! We need the fun, and synergy back of the past releases!!!!!!!!Planes flying...people ENJOYING, and not a few, but for the most of us.Mitch

I'm really surprised you did that!With the brand new screen and all...I'm really leery that your 24" Samsung might have brought your FSX to its knees performance-wise, and I would hope that the LCD wasn't part of the reason for your FSX performance problems...because this would give me something to (not) look forward too if I bought one, too.At any rate, shocked you would go back to a previous ver...but good for you, whatever you choose to do, go for it full force!RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Rhett,Actually higher resolutions in LCD's affect performance in all games, it's just 10X more noticable in FS.Graphics card companies are able to overcome most of those issues with faster speeds, OC'ing, etc., to a point where most people don't realize that it's even an issue until they start running FS (any version).

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Is yours a P model or a peg leg? One of my all time favorites :-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

>I'm really surprised you did that!>>With the brand new screen and all...>>I'm really leery that your 24" Samsung might have brought your>FSX to its knees performance-wise, and I would hope that the>LCD wasn't part of the reason for your FSX performance>problems...because this would give me something to (not) look>forward too if I bought one, too.>>At any rate, shocked you would go back to a previous ver...but>good for you, whatever you choose to do, go for it full>force!>Mitch got rid of FSX a long time ago...Never gave it a real chance :D Of course, all the time he was hating it, I was finding some great finds in the product; but still use FS9 too. FSX just can't cover all the bases, IMO; but that doesn't surprise me. L.Adamson

Guest Eislinger

We use to hand the freshman at my old high school a bucket and then tell them to fill it up with prop wash..whiffing it here!

You know... The way, I look at it FSX is getting better.If we did not have this incremental patches..instead if we had what we have now as the RTM version, I think we would have been impressed. Particularly with the FEX amazing clouds and the FSX water.There is the blurries issue and the addon airport issue (FSX airport addons being of a lower eye candy than the FS9 versions. Other than that, I am ok with FSX.FSX release got hit with the OS change (XP to Vista 32 and Vista 64 and the DX10) so it got a double whammy right there.BTW, if we replace the entire ground texture with a low resolution FS9 like texture would that help performance? The reason I am asking is, I generally do not fly default (no matter how good they are, they repetition kills it for me. So I like the idea that FSX can use high resolution texture. But I really do not want it as a default if that would help with performance.I like FS9 still in the sense that all the addons seems to sit nicely and work well together. But my FS9 is limited to flying the top notch add sceneries like Flight scenery Portland, Providence and Aerosoft Mannhatten. and I particulalry like the Ultimate Traffic running at 100% bringing the addon airports alive like nothing else in FSX. ...But I can't stand FS9 water and FS9 clouds after FSX water and FEX Clouds.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

>>I like FS9 still in the sense that all the addons seems to sit>nicely and work well together. But my FS9 is limited to flying>the top notch add sceneries like Flight scenery Portland,>Providence and Aerosoft Mannhatten. and I particulalry like>the Ultimate Traffic running at 100% bringing the addon>airports alive like nothing else in FSX. ...But I can't stand>FS9 water and FS9 clouds after FSX water and FEX Clouds.>And thats the key!Unless flying with specialized scenery such as Flight Scenery Portland; FS9 is so UGLY, and shows it age, when it comes to ground textures and water!!!!! :-hah L.Adamson

>Yeah I know...shocking and actually it's rather embarassing>for me to admit, but since we're being candid and>all.....OK.....here goes.......>>(takes a deep breath)>>...sometimes, I....ummmm.....I enjoy flying FSX>while.....ummmmm (blushes)......while wearing men's>underwear......underneath my clothes of course!>>;)>I heard that Senator Larry Craig from Idaho, prefers FS9! :-lol L.Adamson - the Gin has kicked in...edit: It's the gin and watching too much Jay Leno... :)

Guest Stoopy

>What we have here, is a failure to communicate. :) I am>reluctant to express my disappointment in FSX for exactly>the same reasons. I also need other people to share my>experience. (misery:)). There must be a name for this social>situation in which two people believe (for the same reasons)>their opposite experiences will be belittled on the same>forum. LOL.>>Bob...Understood, Bob. I don't know what you'd call that social situation either (other than maybe just plain "awkward"?). But I do believe there's not much chance of miscommunication on the disappointment-with-FSX thing, I mean I think there may be a post or two about that around here somewhere....I'm also not sure what you call it when it has to be said more than once unless this is the first time for you, in which case I hope you find it cathartic and just, well, get it all out and then find your happy place.:-beerchug

Guest Stoopy

>I just hope the OP doesn't feel like we're diminishing his>post, because it was a good heart felt comment on his part.>>I just saw your edit above also....ROFL ROFL...huffing AvGas>now are we?????Certainly, I didn't want to skew the OP's point at all but felt he may appreciate it since he hinted at some lighthearted good times of the past...I may have left the cap off my internal fuel tank too.... :)