Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

This is a sad day....

Guest Stoopy

>It's pure coincidence that the DX10 patch was released at the>same time as the 'other' DX10 title (well demo anyway). Ooo! Ooo! I think I know this one!!!! (raises hand) Let me guess!! Puhhhllleeezze! Is it....is it......(queue dramatic trumpet music).....CRYSIS! Right?? Right???>FS always ran slow, but there something has changed in the>quality standards. The FS9 patch seemed to work perfectly>here. I couldn't remember anyone having a problem with it. Now>the testing model has changed and we are left with a slower>game and a lot of bugs. Somehow I doubt its the testers fault>though.Wingnut, is the SP2 patch really running slower on your system? In DX9 mode (if you have Vista)?? I'm curious because I get better performance but is it really slower for you on your system?

>And here I thought this was gonna be a "darn my computer>died" post.lolololol

Guest Lennyt

FSX is totally unlike any previous release of the fs series. In each of the series I would upgrade my system and then be able to run that version at virtually full tilt with high AI, numerous frame-hogging addons, etc. etc. This is what happened to FS9 as an example. I was running it with a 2.8 GHz system 533 fsb 1 gig ram, low level ATI card 256 mb. Clouds, addons, etc. took a toll on the system. So I dutifully upgraded to 3.6 GHz HT, 2 gigs ram, X800XT 256 PCIe card. I then could bump AI up to 80%+, every scenery setting maxed out, 1600x1200, 4AA, 8 AF, UT, PMDG 747,etc. and she ran beautifully.So when I first used FSX, wow, the hit was enormous. I thought my system could play but it struggled big time. So I dutifully just recently upgraded, this time, with more of a step then I had previously done: Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4GHz, 3 gigs ram, Nvidia 8400GS 256 mb PCIe (Vista Home Premium). With SP1 and SP2, and with full autogen I now get fairly smooth flight but at an enormous cost - AI down to 10%, I have had to remove UTX because it was too much of a frame crusher even with the bit friendly textures. I have no other addons except the upgraded MyTraffic X, ASX, XGraphics (which I was getting out of memory errors with even after applying the Vista patch). That's it. Cannot afford anymore overhead at all without ruining the look of FSX. Thankfully the addon aircraft are decent enough to get by.So I respectfully disagree with those who have tried to compare FSX and the reaction to it with other versions and the reactions to them. There is a significant difference which is why FS9 continues its strong popularity, and why comparitively few FSX freeware addons are being released (as compared to FS9). FS9 is looking to be the most enduring of the versions.Having said all that, when I bought my new system, I gave my 3.6 GHz to my wife and I did something I thought I never would do - I completely erased FS9 along with all the addons (must have been at least, conservatively speaking, a thousand $ worth of addons!!). I'm finished with it as painful as it is, lol! The way I see it, I've got to move forward and work with the new versions of fs. That's the way I've always operated ever since the Sublogic days. FS9 was a great ride. Probably the best experience I've had in flight simming but it's time to move on and accept the challenges of FSX and FS11....

Guest baksteen33

>>FSX is totally unlike any previous release of the fs series.<< Hi Lenny, so true, the first line says it all. There are much more interdependencies in FSX than earlier versions. Other than that, sound alone is worth the upgrade IMHO. Larry was already happy pre-SP1 - lucky duck! :-) - I'm happy since SP1. AI was a dog RTM. Kind regards Jaap

Guest dfoulk

Hey Mitch,I wanted to like FSX so badly that after I sent my first copy back to MS for a refund, I bought the blooming thing again!I'm twice as sad as you!!!If you ever change your mind and want it back, I will make you a deal!In the meantime, I fly X-Plane. Not to try and start a fire, but for goodness sake, this is supposed to be a fun pastime, and so whatever makes each happy, use it. Perfection is not to be found on this side of the pearly gates anyway:-) Den

>Hey Mitch,>I wanted to like FSX so badly that after I sent my first copy>back to MS for a refund, I bought the blooming thing again!>I'm twice as sad as you!!!>If you ever change your mind and want it back, I will make you>a deal!>In the meantime, I fly X-Plane. Not to try and start a fire,>but for goodness sake, this is supposed to be a fun pastime,>and so whatever makes each happy, use it. Perfection is not>to be found on this side of the pearly gates anyway:-) >I'd run X-Plane more often, but I don't like the percieved "feel", as well as I do, with my single engine aircraft in FSX. Of course, there are those on X-Plane forums who feel just the opposite..But as you say; it should be a fun pastime, & what ever makes you happy. :)L.Adamson --- FS9, FSX, X-Plane/Global scenery

Gotta tell you Mitch-after flying this tonight-doing some stalls and Chandelles that finally start to feel real, along with the incredible Fex clouds, asx real weather, and great scenery-I don't have much angst, I do find it mind blowing, and I am not feeling it is a sad day as I am smiling from ear to ear! :-)http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=265684&page=http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest jwhitton72

>So when I first used FSX, wow, the hit was enormous. I thought>my system could play but it struggled big time. So I dutifully>just recently upgraded, this time, with more of a step then I>had previously done: Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4GHz, 3 gigs ram,>Nvidia 8400GS 256 mb PCIe (Vista Home Premium). With SP1 and>SP2, and with full autogen I now get fairly smooth flight but>at an enormous cost - AI down to 10%, I have had to remove UTX>because it was too much of a frame crusher even with the bit>friendly textures. I have no other addons except the upgraded>MyTraffic X, ASX, XGraphics (which I was getting out of memory>errors with even after applying the Vista patch). That's it.>Cannot afford anymore overhead at all without ruining the look>of FSX. Thankfully the addon aircraft are decent enough to get>by.>Nvidia 8400GS is not a graphics card to run games on. I made the mistake of putting an Nvidia 8500 in my new Q6600 system, ugh, it actually managed to make FSX GPU locked. The Nvidia 8400 and 8500 are so cut down compared to the 8600 series (let alone the 8800 series) that you would be better off with a mid to high end Nvidia 7xxx. (I accepted I purchased a dud, and spent some more money on an 8600GTS.)My name is Justin ... and I like FSX.Intel Q6600, 4GB Ram, Vista 64 Ultimate, NVidia 8600GTS 512MB

Guest DK8290

Putting it on the shelf for a year or two until the next computer would have been another option. You may decide to buy it again in the future when you get other technology.

You're right, I may, that is always an option. When there is the equipment that requires no 'tweak' compromise to run FSX as my present system runs FS9 full open, that option will be considered. I think though that FS11 or 12 would be upon the shelves.Cheers,Mitch

IMO FSX was developed so that you would go out and spend thousands on a new system along with its operating system. Don't be fooled its about the money. These people don't care if you enjoy it or not, they want you to spend your money.The flight dynamics of FSX should of been in FS9. I played Battlefield and the fluid motion of these aircraft are just as good.regardsNoboru

For the 1st time since 1981 I haven't felt a need to do that. I am running on a four year old system and enjoying myself greatly. I did upgrade to Vista-but I have always upgraded to a new operating system when available.Every other version of fs including fs9 I did upgrade my system immediately and felt a need to. Whether "they" care if you enjoy it or not is a moot point for me-because I am enjoying it. Seems many others are too.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>You're right, I may, that is always an option. When there is>the equipment that requires no 'tweak' compromise to run FSX>as my present system runs FS9 full open, that option will be>considered. I think though that FS11 or 12 would be upon the>shelves.>So really; what is "FS9 -- full open"? Isn't it kind of like saying FS4 "full open" compared to FS2002. FS9 is just TOO graphically inferior, even at it's highest settings. :-hah No wonder it can run faster! :-lol L.Adamson

Ok Larry, ;0FS9 'full open' with all the add-on's that are ALSO running concurrent with it, and still producing clean 30 FPS on my present system. I look at FS9 as it is on my system and certainly don't personally see anything of an inferior nature as compared to FSX.My point though for starting this thread was not another FS9/FSX comparison thread. It was that there seemed to be no POSITIVE energy, or energy of any kind for that matter in this forum.I was most happy to see Dave's 'Positive DX10' thread started. Now THAT is what I am talking about. A bunch of users deciding there is a problem, there is a feature that they really like, and or want to see come to age, and are starting a 'think tank' on the issue. How they can help each other to better that issue.That is a breath of fresh air!I may not use the program for my own reason(s) to date, but do enjoy seeing others that still do and 'think tank' issues for the benefit of all.Cheers,Mitch'er

Hi Noboru,"These people don't care if you enjoy it or not, they want you to spend your money."Hey, steady on! I think you ought to qualify that statement by indicating which group of people you are referring to.I think we have established many times over that those who really care about delivering the best that they can are often, if not always, constrained by time frames that are far too restrictive. This is hardly their fault and is merely an unfortunate sign of the times where the chasing of targets and ever-increasing profit margins imposes often intolerable pressures on those tasked to deliver.The impression I get while reading these forums is that there are a significant number of individuals who blithely feel the need to mump and grump without first reflecting on the complexities of this issue. I doubt there is a software developer out there who doesn't wish that he or she had more time to get it right and finish the product to their satisfaction while, at the same time, meeting the consumer needs of the day. Instead, frequently they are found facing those financial realities which dictate otherwise.Pressures on time are inevitable in any competitive economy, but perhaps it can be argued that nowadays things are moving just too fast for everyone to keep up. Competition is good and encourages the march of progress and we, as end users, are the beneficiaries. However, spare a thought for those who, by their efforts and dedication, are genuinely doing their utmost to please us all, but instead often receive scant praise on those occasions when they are perceived as having failed. The cost can be high indeed.Mike