Sign in to follow this  
Guest jcmckeown

Blurries and contention (round 2)

Ok maybe if FSX wasn't too busy checking to see if its activated the blurries would dissapear. That's alot of wasted energy I.M.O.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Thanks Jaap,I have tried lowering the Global Texture but can not see any difference. I just finished starting with a new FSX.cfg. That started with global at minimum. So far I have gradually started moving sliders up and getting a mixed bag. Will keep working with it and see what happens. I guess what you mentioned is why if I am in blurry state and pause the flight I can see the textures sort of "pop" in place making very clear and detail textures. When I unpause the blurries will normally come back gradually but not always. ( very confusing) All I know is scenery is really great when there are no blurries. I have set autogen anywhere from none to medium and do not see any more or less blurriness. Carl

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

>>I'd be curious if you get them with those exact settings..>>The results are in!Ok I set all settings to the min/zero value except for the ones noted above, though I had to set LOD Radius to max otherwise it was a blurry mess. So mesh is at 38, textures at 1m, LOD Radius at max, and global textures at max. Everything else was far left. The resolution is 1152 with AF, locked at 21fps.These are all full speed in the SF260. The first two are after I isntalled SP1. I deleted the cfg and the results did not change. http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/SP1.jpghttp://sio.midco.net/FTP4/SP1d.jpgThis is the same test after uninstalling SP1, all settings are the same. There is a resolution transition line where the red mark is, and while it would get a little bit closer, it stayed about the same distance out. With SP1 that line soon passes right by, and then the next wave of progressive blurr might even move in.http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/SP1c.jpgAnd just to show how good the RTM version works, here are my normal settings, and the normal texture clarity of FSX. The RTM version is still the best in my opinion, though if I stick with it I'm left out of many add ons. I hope the problem can still be found.http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/RTMa.jpghttp://sio.midco.net/FTP4/RTM.jpg

Guest jcmckeown

How interesting, I am also using France VFR and the only fix so that textures are OK is to revert to RTM. SPI/SP2 are a disaster. Something is broken in SP1/SP2 with the texture engine although nobody has ever found what is wrong. Default textures BTW are OK in SP1/SP2 however there are much less of them in a standard scene than when one is flying with photo real sceneries.The thing that really bugs me is that something changed between RTM and SP1, surely it must be quite simple for the ACES team to determine what was changed. Phil has already commented that the code that deals with the scenery texture loading has not changed significantly between RTM/SP1 but the simple fact that when we revert to RTM all works well is a tell tale sign that something has changed and is not yet fixed in SP2. SP3???Regards,JC

Guest h9000

Just one info I would like to add, which could help Phil to understand what happens. I really have the feeling that it is not a question of texture loading speed or updating speed.In RTM, you have blurries when you go to fast with too many details, then you pause and blurries disappear, first close to you, then further and further. Fine.In SP1/SP2, it is very common that some close textures are more blurry than others which are further. Then when you pause, these textures takes forever to refresh, and during this time nothing happens (nowhere in the scene), a bit like if they were refreshed after a timeout, and not after some higher priority computation.Another interesting point is that it is common that some textures are blurry close (like 1km) to the starting point, where they should obviously be loaded and displayed in full details when the simulation begins.So here is my theory: some textures are "forgotten". The system believes they are loaded but they are not. When they are finally displayed, it is after a timeout, when the system has made an update and decided to redisplay them.This could be completely wrong, but I hope that it will help people at aces to figure out what is wrong and to make a nice patch for us.

Guest jcmckeown

There has been much speculation on what could be happening and I provided Phil and the team with quite some detail in the previous threads. Unfortunately the problem was never really identified. Christian has more or less confirmed the same with Tileproxy, i.e. RTM is the only real option at the moment as something is wrong with texture loading in SP1.JC

>In SP1/SP2, it is very common that some close textures are>more blurry than others which are further. >>I have noticed this as well.

Guest Beetle

>There has been much speculation on what could be happening>and I provided Phil and the team with quite some detail in the>previous threads. Unfortunately the problem was never really>identified. >Christian has more or less confirmed the same with Tileproxy,>i.e. RTM is the only real option at the moment as something is>wrong with texture loading in SP1.>>JCwhat i find most frustrating is that in a thread full of (mostly respectful) folks searching for answers to this problem, the only response here from aces is a wikipedia definition of what RTM means. the blurries issue that arose from changes made initially in SP1 is one of the most talked about technical issues with FSX on this and other FS forums, yet it was never directly addressed or even really acknowledged by the developers. its bizarre.

JC,OK, how about some blasphemy - I have a high-end system similar to yours and I've never had any blurries. I don't think it is the CPU, nor the graphics card, nor the settings.The only thing that is different from your system to mine is the amount of memory and maybe the quality of same. Yes, that goes against all you've heard from gurus and so-called gurus.Here's my system:EVGA 680i moboIntel E6700 CPUEVGA 8800 Ultra graphics card4Gb RAM - Corsair (bought in 1Gb matched pairs - not individually)2 Sets of RAID 1 disk drivesLiquid cooled CPURunning FSB @800 to match memory speed - no overclockingFSX Acceleration w/o DX10 PreviewFSGenesis LC and meshPayware aircraft such as PMDG and LVLDMultiple heavy-duty scenery packages - Mega Airport Budapest, Zurich, Heathrow, etc.I don't know what your situation is but if FSX was my primary use of my computer I would do the following - purchase 4Gb Corsair memory and check to ensure your CPU is running specs with regard to heat. Note: I do not use the 3Gb switch. Check your BIOS to ensure everything is set to specs.It is impossible to match systems and get the same results. But, if I'm not getting any blurries then I believe you have hope to eliminate yours. You just need to find the right combination (probably not settings/tweaks) of components.fb

Guest jcmckeown

Well Beetle, I didn't comment but was effectively surprised to see that Phil commented on RTM but not the core topic. The chap does have a day job though. Indeed, if you go back to the original thread, you'll see that at the time, we managed to have a "reasonable" discussion between "reasonable" people.At the end of the day FS is a hobby, a game or whatever each of us wants to make of it but it's not a life or death matter. I am disappointed that this issue didn't get fixed with SP1/SP2 but it's up to the ACES team and Phil as to whether they want to follow this up or not. In the same way as with the original thread I started several months back, I'm ready to help troubleshoot but I didn't write the code and the decision as to whether this should be followed up or not is not in my hands...JC

Guest jcmckeown

Hello fbass,Thanks for your advice. I would really like to think that upgrading to better/faster/more expensive RAM would solve this but I can't afford throwing any more money at my rig. The simple fact that uninstalling SP1 fixes the issue makes me doubt that upgrading will help.BTW, check the original thread that I linked to. You'll see that this issue is mainly with FS9 photo scenery in FSX. I don't have issues with the default FSX scenery either.France VFR photo scenery is made of 1000's of small BMP files (44K) each, that are originally FS9 format. Works superbly in FSX RTM but broken in SP1/SP2. People playing around with Tileproxy are experiencing similar issues with SP1/SP2. I've spent days tweaking but the only fix is a simple revert to RTM.We'll solve this one day though...Rgds,JC

Guest jcmckeown

Oh and yes, I agree it is bizarre that this was never formally acknowledged as a bug.JC

Just one question before you give up.. 1000's of bmp files-if you have a virus checker is it checking each one of them as it loads the individual files? Would it be worth looking here?I used to just disable/exclude my virus checker when I ran fs-but I found that was not enough. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I will shut down McAfee virus, which is furnished by Comcast and see if there is any change. You mentioned that our systems were similar except for Vista and video. FB mentioned using 4gram. I have 2 gram, which I really didn't notice much change from 1gram. If you also have 4 gram, that would be a consideration if I really felt it would cure the problem. Also I am curious on why my blurries will go away if I add a line in the FSX.cfg under Display.Device.Nvidia for MipBias=6 or any other number. Unfortunately "shimmering" will show up but the blurries are gone. This was done back in the days when FSX was first out. Regards,Carl

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks Geofa! You're absolutely right.I closed my virus checker - got increased fps! Won't need the deletion step, yet.Cheers!Peter Sydney Australia2 Core E6600 8800GTS 320mb 4gig ram Vista SP1 32bit