Sign in to follow this  
Ramasurinen

Wave effect on screen redraw after Acceleration

Okay, installed Acceleration earlier this evening and whilst dissapointed with the Merlin VC (and lack of 2d panels) the biggest dissapointment for me was that my scenery redraws have changed.Before Acceleration my scenery loading was fine, no obvious blurries etc. I run across three monitors with a TH2Go and also use a TrackIR and so can move my view easily from side to side.Before Acceleration I never noticed any scenery issues. Now, the first thing I noticed when looking left and right was that scenery loading (particularly noticeable at these angles) now seems to refresh over my screens in a kind of wave from bottom to top, almost as if it's a vsynch issue or tearing.Nothing in my setup has changed so it must be the scenery loading changes made in sp2 with Acceleration. Is there a set of obvious changes made to the configs that I could put back to see if that solves the problem or is this change to scenery loading the 'fix' to the blurries that some people have suffered from?

Your absolutely correct. The tearing seems to be more apparent now. However overall I think FSX looks much better and is more fluid in DX9. If you enable vsynch it may reduce the tearing but more than likely it is going to introduce some stutters. Unfortunately at this time I guess you will need to decide which is going to be more preferable to you.

One of the other threads mentions that vsynch was forced on under the fsx.cfg prior to sp2 whereas this has been removed after sp2?If so, can I put it back in? In which case, what do I need?Thanks.

I don't think that it has ever been possible to control vsynch through FSX. You should however be able to control vsynch through your grahpics driver to enabled, disabled (force off) or application controlled.

It was in fact possible to control Vsync in FSX itself in Sp1, via these lines in fsx.cfg, in the Display section (provided your driver Vysnc setting was "application controlled"):{Display}ForceFullScreenVSync=TrueForceVSync=TrueVsync used to be on in full screen mode in FSX by default and had to be turned off if you didn't want it. Phil posted about those lines on his blog along with the other Sp1 tweaks. Those config lines no longer work in Sp2 in DX9 or DX10. The only way to force Vsync now is through the video driver in DX9, and there is no way currently to get it working in DX10 at all, driver or otherwise.And yes you can get stuttering with Vsync on if your fps is not a perfect factor of 60hz (if you use an LCD monitor). Set your fps lock to 10, 15, 20, or 30 fps (or 60 if you can manage it hehe) and see how it goes.

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

WOW, I just returned a GTX thinking something was wrong with it after seeing the waves....

>Those config lines no longer work in Sp2 in DX9 or DX10. The only>way to force Vsync now is through the video driver in DX9, and>there is no way currently to get it working in DX10 at all,>driver or otherwise.Thanks Haldir, that explains my DX10 tearing very well. I was thinking about vsync, but wasn't sure. Let's hope this problem get a fix soon.Heiko

I've forced vsync on in the FSX nVidia control panel profile (and also triple buffering since it suggested it). The question is, why did Aces see fit to remove this option from the sim itself in the first place... Your average guy on the street is not going to know anything about driver level graphic card specific settings or profiles and will be left with tearing.

Cheers Mango, but I wouldn't hold your breath on a fix for getting DX10 Vsync working anytime soon. From reading many threads on graphics issues with other DX10 games it seems that Vsync cannot be forced via video drivers in DX10 period, it can only be set by the game itself... and FSX just lost that capabiliy. If that's the case... ouch for us Track-ir lovers. I hope I'm wrong.

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations