Sign in to follow this  
BobP

Aircraft Carrier nav aids?

Can a beacon or VOR be placed on AI? I would like to be able to locate an aircraft carrier via radio navigation. Or does that feature already exist? If so, where can I find the frequencies and type. Thanks.Bob..

You can place any type Navaid anywhere in the world and on anything that is stationary (Carrier cannot move).To place a VOR or a NDB using different type='s for NM range on a Aircarft Carrier you need to know what the Lat/Lon is and the Region the Carrier is sitting in. Also give the VOR or NDB a unique Ident/Freq and Name.The following is the XML that will compile which places both a VOR and NDB on top the Super Structure on the antennas for the Carrier that sits off the coast of SFO. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>TcalX for FSX works very well for determining the Lat/Lon in accurate decimal format and will also read the DIR#/File# that the current/default Carrier is nesting in. This info also allows you to find the Region/magvar the Carrier is associated too.Once the XML has a file name and compiled with the FSX BGLComp compiler the GPS Receiver will show the correct symbols and location of the Carrier. Place the new compiled bgl into the Addon SceneryScenery folder or the SceneryGlobalScenery folder.

Hi Jim,Thank you for the detailed information! I was hoping someone had found a way to place a nav aid on moving AI. I assume I can use FS Commander to see the carrier (as AI), but would prefer radar or radio navigation to find it. I think the real US Navy did master the technique of placing nav aids on moving carriers!! LOL..Bob..

A real carrier is an EMI radiation source which is visible far over the horizon by any decent receiver.Yes they do have navaids, but more importantly they have active defensive ATC which doesn't let aircraft get close without permission.The question for FS though is how much does the carrier move? In a limited area, or all the way across the oceans?The NAVAID system in FS is designed for fixed locations. Because while a terminal Navaid is an integral part of the airport scenery - it is referenced by a fixed location.If you know the carrier is going to remain in a relatively small area - place the Navaid in the middle of the area - the way an NDB or VOR is used at land based airport.

BobAfter I wrote the above I got to thinking you probably wanted a moving Navaid.Maybe it can be done through a mission build but I can't make a Navaid attach to something that is moving just yet. The navaids in FS are based on a stationary Lat/Lon so I am digging back into the SDK's to see if a reverse effect can be applied simular to tracking a AI Plane with radar. Sorry Reggie I posted at the same time

Thanks Jim. I have always been amazed at the "discoveries" made by my fellow simmers and appreciate you efforts! :) I want to carry out carrier ops "somewhere" off the southern California or Oregon coasts. (Sorry, I can't disclose the nature and exact location). And I would like to be able to track the carrier as it moves along while I'm out on patrol. BTW, the FA-18 in Acceleration is great fun! Bob..