Sign in to follow this  
Tony P

Positive thread & TIPS for Dx10/SP2

Hi there,I believe it's time to centralize some tips and tweaks for Dx10 in order to help those who are disappointed or frustrated by the new SP2's performances.Let's try to be positive in this thread :--)BASIC "RULES":- this thread is about the Dx10 preview rendering only. (please don't ask for Dx9 performances here)- we all know that Nvidia is still working on improving their drivers and there is NO perfect driver for DX10/FSX up to now.- we also know that Vista is not 100% stable right now and let's hope that things would be better with the upcoming SP1.- let's avoid from bashing ACES, MS etc.... there are enough posts on that subject already!- thanks in advance not to use this thread to speak again and again about our expectations according to the "magic screenies", (...) let's go forward! :--)PRE-REQUISITES:- no mystery here: if you don't have a dual/quad cores CPU, 2 to 4 Gb solid RAM and a 8800 video card, IMHO, stay away from Vista (and thus, from Dx10) and enjoy Dx9, the SP2 won't help you a lot and even worse, could lead to bad performances.- if you have the right hardware, be sure to have ALL Vista updates on your machine. (have a look at the Readme.html file in your Acceleration DVD)SETTINGS:1) I have found that the 169.01 beta driver gives the best results.2) I have fixed a lot of issues by following this routine when installing the driver: (nothing new here, I know....but it's soooo essential!!)-install "Driver Cleaner PE 1.5". don't run it yet-download the video driver from your favorite web site-uninstall the old nVidia driver with Windows uninstall-reboot in SAFE mode-in SAFE mode run the Driver Cleaner on all nvidia entries-go and have a nice cup of tea/coffee/beer...because it takes time for the program to clean the registry. wait until the end of the process!!-reboot and disable your anti virus-install the Video driver (mentioned above)-reboot3) because Nhancer doesn't work with this driver, go to your Nvidia Control panel and for FSX profile do the following:-anisotropic filtering = 16x-antialiasing gamma correction = ON-antialiasing mode = override

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest j0nx

Great post David! Unfortunately I do things very similar to that and have had terrible results with the 169.01 drivers and fsx dx10. I think they are the worst drivers nvidia has ever released. I am trying the 169.04's tonight after a friend told me that they increased performance for him on other games. I am not expecting miracles with fsx dx10 though as I feel the issues go further than a driver update. I thank you for putting together such a great post for all of us that are struggling with 50-100% frame rate drop in the dx10 preview.

Great post David !Me too I have good experiences with DX10 Preview.My tips :- Make sure Windows is running optimal.I use Advanced System Optimizer,Registry Mechanic and Diskeeper Pro Premier as my base for good performance.- Shut down services.- Use Windows in performance mode and not in visual mode.- Use the latest drivers- Make sure that Windows has all updates.- Use HitmanPro to eleminate Spyware.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Guest bigean

Very good post. I couldn't believe there's hardly anybody with DX10. David, here you start with hints for settings that gave you an perf advantage. And a complete list of settings. Let's see if we can find differences that make some PC's faster, some slower.I'm missing a systematic Hardware report from some posting here. Some people have it in the footer, some not. Please everybody add these information to your results:CPU: Model and SpeedMotherboard: (if available)RAM Size and Speed: ...Graphics Board: detailed pleaseGraphics Driver: ...Windows Version: i.e. Vista 32 or 64, any important updatesHarddisk Config: Raidx, CacheFSX: pure or with addonsHaving that we can possibly narrow down "good" and "bad" configuration, based on David's settings at least.Bigean

Guest Lith1um

My fav tweak. You can really cut some fat off here without reducing visuals much.http://blogs.technet.com/p-12c_pilot/archi...might-help.aspx Quote:Autogen tweak that might help Many of you have been frustrated that you can't control the density of autogen trees verses buildings because we only have one slider to cover both of them. Some have also been frustrated that our lowest autogen setting is more dense than FS2004 at max density.If you add these two lines to the [TERRAIN] section of your FSX.CFG, you can define the max number of objects in a terrain cell for trees and buildings independently. The slider will scale down from the numbers you set as the slider is moved to the left. The max tree value in FSX as released is coded to default to 4500 and the building default is 3000 (as shown below) and the absolute max FSX will recognize at all is 6000. Of course if you raise the values beyond the defaults, you will obviously be increasing density and lowering fps (so don't complain if you do this...). The point in sharing this information is that with these settings you can specify what the values are yourself. I had to edit this post because of a bug. Be sure not to set either number to 0 as that will cause problems, but setting it to a very lower number will give you nearly 0 objects.TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000I hope this is helpful!Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 5:35 PM by P-12C

Just to add a few SP1 specific tips and tweaks some could try here are some links to Phil's log:Blurries:http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...3/sp1-tips.aspxMulit core affinity mask, swap_wait_timeout for blurries, vsync, smallpartrejectradius for performance:http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...aks-in-sp1.aspxAnother performance helper is something called TreesX, allows performance autogen, search in the file library.

>Very good post. I couldn't believe there's hardly anybody>with DX10. David, here you start with hints for settings that>gave you an perf advantage. And a complete list of settings.>Let's see if we can find differences that make some PC's>faster, some slower.>>I'm missing a systematic Hardware report from some posting>here. Some people have it in the footer, some not. Please>everybody add these information to your results:>>CPU: Model and Speed>Motherboard: (if available)>RAM Size and Speed: ...>Graphics Board: detailed please>Graphics Driver: ...>Windows Version: i.e. Vista 32 or 64, any important updates>Harddisk Config: Raidx, Cache>FSX: pure or with addons>>Having that we can possibly narrow down "good" and "bad">configuration, based on David's settings at least.>>BigeanVery good point Bigean.generally I hate them: ("my car/house/wallett is bigger than yours") but it might be useful indeed to add these information. -CPU: E6850 o/c @3.81-Motherboard: Asus Blitz Formula (Intel X35 FSB1333)-RAM: 4x1Gb OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 -Graphics Board: EVGA_8800GTX_KO_ACS3 (626/2000 MHz, 768Mb DDR3) -Graphics Driver: 169.01-Windows Version: Vista 64, ALL updates-Harddisk Config: 3x Raptor 150 Gb 16 Mo, no RAID-PSU: Tagan 900W -FSX: FEX, ASX, LDS767, PMDG747-400, latest FSUIPC

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

You're right Ian but maybe let's concentrate on new hints for this specific "Dx10 Preview" issue, assuming that general tips are already widely known by the folks here :--) One could say that "how to install a new driver" is not a new tip!!:-)But when I first installed Acceleration my driver was the 163.69 WHQL and I just replace it quickly (without SAFE mode and just using Guru3D-Driver Sweeper) and the result was dramatic!! (stutters, fps drops etc....) that's why I wanted to emphasise this point.

Best regards,
David Roch

I tried the steps for the install of 169.01 and to be blunt, DX10 is a failure.allenE6600 quad/8600GTS

Sorry for you Allen.If you haven't too many addons and some free time, I suggest that you do the following:1) uninstall FSX & Acceleration2) disk cleaning (TuneUp is nice and they give a free month trial)3) defrag (same thing with O&O, perform a NAME defrag, long but worth it)4) install FSX5) install Acceleration (the SP1 is included in the X-pack)You have nothing to loose :--)best wishesDavid

Best regards,
David Roch

Guest Surfstud31

Excellent thread. With all the negativity going on regarding DX10 this is a breath of fresh air. I run Vista with an ATI X1650 Pro 512MB GC, 2 Gigs RAM, and dual core AMD 2.6 Ghz. I noticed the fonts in Vista got quite crisper after installing DX10 and the graphics seem better in general.In FSX, my graphics also seemed to improve a bit in that they are crisper, sharper images. The only problems I have discovered so far with DX10 and SP2 are propeller texture issues on some aircraft. Being a bit if a texture guru, I have been able to solve all but one of my prop texture issues for all my planes by altering the alphas.I have payware planes from Eaglesoft, Carenado, Aerosoft, Shockwave, AlphaSim, etc. and only one had an issue with textures (prop texture of course). Not sure what all the negative fuss is about.

Guest j0nx

Surfstud, maybe you are a bit confused as to what is dx10 and what isnt? If you are running an ati 1600 card then you arent running dx10, you are running dx9. In order to get dx10 you need vista and an nvidia 8800 card or ati 2900 card. Those are the only cards that support dx10. I think maybe this might be why some people are claiming a performance increase when in fact they are running dx9.I installed the 169.04 drivers tonight and it made no difference. I have a 24" monitor at 1920x1200 and i noticed when i dropped the rez to 1280 that the frame rate shot up to 20% and it smoothed out a lot. I am wondering if those of us that are getting poor frame rates are all running very high resolutions and those with good frame rates are running smaller monitors at the 1280 rez? In dx9 it doesnt matter what rez i run the frame rate is always the same but with dx10 it appears that the frame rate is dropping dramatically as the rez increases. Even at 1280 i still wasnt getting the same frame rate as dx9 at equivalent options but it was within 3 fps and not 10-15 like it is with the higher rez.

I have a 22" monitor at 1600x1200 which is not a low resolution.Here are some pics showing FPS (very weird, with DX10 the FRAPS counter turns black (?))

Best regards,
David Roch

I've been enjoying the DX10 preview, regardless of some texture issues (some flashing jetways and the occasional, ephemeral flashes off of light bloom highlights), and my frames are better and smoother than before. First, my specs:Abit I35 Pro MBE6600 Core Duo CPU (oc ~3 GHz)2 GB Crucial Ballistix PC2 8500EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX (stock speeds)Corsair 620HX PSU1 WD Raptor X 150 GB SATA HDD2 Seagate 320 GB SATA HDDsSoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty ProPioneer DVR-111D DVD-RW PATALite-On LH-20A1S DVD-RW SATANEC MultiSync 90GX 19" LCDWin Vista 32-bit Home PremiumForceware 163.69 32-bit video driverI have my driver settings as David posted at the top of the thread with the following exceptions:AA setting at 8XLOD bias CLAMPIn FSX, I have filtering set to Aniso and AA checked...light bloom and DX10 preview are checked.Nick N at Simviation (sorry if anyone's offended by the competition...) posted this (pre-Acceleration), which I've found very helpful:QUOTE ONI can make some suggestions for FSXThe poster above is correct about TFT and frame lock. 30, 60 or unlimited can actually work better for TFT and FSX. I run UNLIMITED with perfect results. I know others do better at 30, which defies the FS9 logic of frame-limiting, but in FSX unlimited or 30 works better as long as you have the drivers/config file set up correctly using a TFT.VSYNC should always be APPLICATION CONTROLLED in the Nvidia or ATI driversYour best bet with a Nvidia adapter is to use the information in this post to DELETE all the profiles http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...um=1183998514/0Nvidia places profiles in their drivers that override anything you set in FS9 or FSX. You should delete them and rebuild using the settings provided in that post. And then use the following scale for SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULTIf you set TBM to X, set SWTO to YTBM(x)

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

That some very good fps and great screenshots. However, I doubt that that configuration includes traffic - meaning Ultimate Traffic, MyTraffic X or any other traffic add-on. Those are usually huge fps hits for me and eat up easily 10 fps per 20% of traffic.Personally, traffic is a must for me, because flying without traffic is just a little lonesome and boring, no?Pat