Sign in to follow this  
Tony P

Positive thread & TIPS for Dx10/SP2

Guest JeroenR

Hi David,Thanks for the quick reply on this!I did see the CTD topic, but since it only happens with DX10/acceleration I decided to put it here.I have been using FSX the last 6 months without any problems, just after installing the acceleration pack the troubles keep on coming.Anyway, i will try tonight (Im at work right now) your suggestions and install the latest visual basic.I will also find out what the latest DirectX end-user runtime is and install it.The problem concerning the ntdll.dll error, I did fix with tuneup utility's using the advanced mode, so I could see what the program was doing. I never use the one click maintenance because it doesnt show exactly what it is doing. After I fixed it, the ntdll.dll error was gone, so i did succeed on that one.Windows Vista was a clean stand alone install, so no upgrading from XP. It has become more stable since I did set up a clean install. And no, I did not install any antivirus software, because the only thing I do with this machine is playing FSX. It just has Vista and FSX without any add ons for now. Just a simple -out of the box- installation to elliminate all possible problems.One thing I also did notice is the AA controlled by Nhancer without selecting the AA box in FSX itself. As long as I don't activate the DX10 preview it can handle the AA trough Nhancer and is working fine. But right after I select the DX10 preview option in FSX I need to check the AA box in FSX to get the best AA quality.At this moment I only do fly missions for testing out. So I did not try with any solo flights. When flying online at the IVAO network I have the 'white AI plane issue' like Ultimate Traffic and MyTrafficX have at the moment as soon as DX10 preview is selected. We as IVAO are working on a solution, but it seems it has something to do with the old FS8/FS9 models wich are not compatible with DX10. If that is true, we need to repaint over 2300 MTL (AI) models/liveries to resolve the issue.....Anyway, thank you for your quick reply and I will try your suggestions tonight and report my feedback about this.Friendly regards,Jeroen

Guest JeroenR

David,After some more trial and error, I finally suceed to fly the complete mission 'resort supply', wich took me about 2 hours to complete. So far so good... I never could fly over 1 hour with acceleration and the directX10 preview option enabled, but now I did!I had followed your tips about updating the directX end-user-runtime, and the Visual basic. But right after that I was experiencing the msvcr80.dll error.I did try some tips. For example the modification in the display.cfg file. As discribed in the post http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...sg_id=574&page=Anyhow, I found it rather unusual to set the nhancer AA setting to 'overide the application setting', since you need to enable the AA setting in the FSX configuration itself. Right after you enable the directX10 preview option, FSX will ignore the driver setting about the overide the game AA setting.So I decided to uninstall nhancer and configure my FSX profile in my nvidia (forceware 163.75) configuration screen to 'application controlled', I did the same thing to the AF setting.I tried with AA on and filtering to trilinair, but after about 15 minutes I got a api.dll error and everything crashed to the desktop.(even with the newest directX end user runtime installed)I went back and set the filtering to aniostrophic and I left AA turned on in the FSX setting menu.After that, everything went out perfectly for now. At least I was able to fly for about 2 hours without any problems. Only problem occured was a failure on my left engine (but that was part of the mission :+ )My settings in FSX are rather high.. I turend all options on (lightbloom, shadows, etc.) and olmost every slider in to the right, exept the water slider I kept at 2.low ant he mesh complexity at 75%.Framerate locked at 24, and it keeps at 24 all the time. My resolution is set to 1680by1050x32.I also use the IRtrackerpro V4 (for those who don't know what it is, here is the link: http://www.naturalpoint.com), the new Saitek yoke system with an extra throttle quadrant and the pedals.If it will keep stable, I'm definatly happy and can say I now have a very good looking and smooth flight simulator with everything I need.From now on, I will try some more tests to make sure it works. After that, I will go on and try again to set up FSglobal2008 (for mesh), ActiveSkyX and Xgraphics using on a remote pc using SimConnect, FScommander8.2, VasFMC on remote pc using WideFS and so on.A long way to go, but I will keep you informed!Regards,Jeroen

Hi JeronMy Traffic has got a fix for white liveries, it's called Mytraffic 5.1aabout 60 yo 70% of all models not show with direct X 10 preview.This is way ahead of UT and Traffic X. Who last I heard where skating around aknoedlging the problem was with the acft textures designs.If My Traffic can do it, then others can too.CheersPhil

Hi David, maybe you can help with a problem.I'm using my traffic 5.1aBut to get it's toolbox to work I have to edit the FSXdll.eml fileas per instructions others have given me in this forumhttp://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66325However we think my problem is, because I have FSX with Acceleration pack installed on a HD all on it's own and the SDK files are installed on my C had drive where the default directory for FSX normally goes, is causing them toolbox not to show with the game.Do you know if one can custom install the SDK's onto my G drive where I have FSX.Normally when you install software the installer gives you an option to custom install, so you can change folder to install it, but the SDK install program doesn't appear to.Thanks in advancePhil

Guest JeroenR

Hi again,It me again from the 'MS trial and error camp'x( trying to get acceleration and DX10 working on a clean Windows Vista 32bit system....Unfortunatly I was never able to fly for more than 15 minutes after I have passed the 2 hour mission, like I told before.It is keeping me the API.DLL error, everytime the same stupid error. I have done everything possible to eliminate it, by installing the latest DirecX End-User-Runtime from Microsoft, the Visual studio 2005 including SP1. I even tried to install another API.DLL wich I downloaded from bittorrent (sorry Microsoft, but had to try)I did format again the C drive and installed everything over again. Vista, FSX, Acceleration etc.So my system is clean from any add-ons exept Acceleration, clean from anti-virus software, clean of anything. But it keeps shutting down with the d-a-m-n API.DLL error (this file is located in the FSX root folder and installed by the accelerationpack)I'm not just playing arround with computers, I really know what I'm doing. Nobody touches my computer to screw it up. If the computer needs to be screwed up, I want it to do it myself (If you know what I'm talking about)And yes, If I pull back all sliders and turn off the DX10 preview it does not contan any errors, but will I be satisfied with that option with a videocard over 600 dollars? NO, definitly not. I bought it to have a good graphic experience, and nothing less than that.Maybe Nvidia is part of it, but please let Nvidia and MS pull their act together and help us with this high expensive hardware!I've had it with Microsoft for now. 'Error and trial' is the onlything I get here. Not even speaking of the G2D.DLL errors I'm getting when trying to load a mission with the RedBull air race.People... This is rediculous! A beutifull hobby is turning into a nightmare, even when using a computer over 2800 dollar with all the recommended hardware in it! Especially bought to run FSX including DX10 (as promised in the advertisement from Micro$oft.I'm sorry, but I will trow the accerelationpack in the trashcan, and never think about it again. Switching back to SP1 again....I appriciate the aces team is doing that much effort to try giving us the maximum effect in flight simulator, but right now my opinion is, they have failed on their promises for the most of us.Regards,Jeroen

Where do you have FSX installed? If you allowed it to default to your Program Files directory, it could be a simple permissions issue in Vista. The next time you install FSX clean, try forcing the install to C:FSX instead of those system protected folders. And try turning UAC off and see if that helps.It can be very frustrating after having spent a fortune on hardware, but hopefully, it will get better.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest JeroenR

Hi Jim,I will give it a shot.Thanks for helping me out this far, never thought of this before.I will let you know if it has helped.Regards,Jeroen

>Hi David, maybe you can help with a problem.>>I'm using my traffic 5.1a>But to get it's toolbox to work I have to edit the FSXdll.eml>file>as per instructions others have given me in this forum>http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66325>However we think my problem is, because I have FSX with>Acceleration pack installed on a HD all on it's own and the>SDK files are installed on my C had drive where the default>directory for FSX normally goes, is causing them toolbox not>to show with the game.>Do you know if one can custom install the SDK's onto my G>drive where I have FSX.>Normally when you install software the installer gives you an>option to custom install, so you can change folder to install>it, but the SDK install program doesn't appear to.>>Thanks in advance>>PhilHi Phil,You can't cusomize the SDK installation's path but I don't think your problem is coming from the SDK installed in the C drive.Could you post your dll.xml?

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Hi Jeroen,I understand your frustration and anger but don't give up, you'll finaly find the solution.If turning off the UAC doesn't help, here is something else you can try:(Beware, you are lowering your computer's level of security but you can really live with it!)Control Panel>System and Maintenance>System>Advanced System Settings>Performances>Settings>Data Execution Prevention>Check "Turn on....except", and here browse to FSX.exeApply + OKIn the meantime I will continue searching information about this %*

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest JeroenR

Hi Jim and David,Hmmm, while keeping my fingers crossed, I have actually flown now a mission with the F18 and made it all to the end until my first landing on the aircraft carrier.I have followed Jim's advice and reinstalled FSX including accelerationpack to the folder C:/FSX and turned off the UAC.One note: For now I didn't install Pete Dowsons FSuipc version 4. In the past when replacing the API.DLL FSX was asking me again to grant FSuipc acces to FSX and I did select 'yes'Right now, now things seem to work properly, I'm a bit scared to install this software. For now I will run some more tests and if that works out correctly, I will give FSuipc another try.Fair anough, I need this FSuipc software to cooprate with my other computers in my lan, when I switch back online at the IVAO network. All my navigation software is on my other desktop pc.David,I did also try your suggestion to exclude fsx.exe from the 'Data execution prevention', but unfortunatly it didnt allow me to. It give me the message, this file needs the DEP turned on, and thats it.For now, I will leave UAC turned off, while I will try all different kinds of scenario's where my FSX was crashing on the API.DLL error before.Thank you so far. Seems I have found my beautifull hobby back for now.Regards,Jeroen

:-beerchug Very good news!! :--))I 've also had a lot of problems at the beginning with Vista's security and have turned off UAC and DEP (through a command line for all programs) and it really helped.Enjoy and let's keep fingers crossed!

Best regards,
David Roch

Guest Lennyt

I've got some pretty simple advice. I was running a Quad core Q6600, 2.4 GHz 3 gigs, 8400GS 256mb PCIe, Vista Home Premium. This setup hated DX10, lightbloom, etc. but did ok under Acceleration and DX9. It took me playing Crysis to realize my video card sucked. I tried Crysis on my old system I gave my wife - 3.6 GHz single core, X800XT 256mb PCIe, 2 gigs - and it ran much BETTER than my quad core. I knew the bottleneck was the video card.I promptly went out and bought the BFG 8800GT 512mb OC PCIe card. And wow! What a difference. Not only does it rip on Crysis now FSX I can run full autogen, DX10, lightbloom, etc. with very good fps and smoooth. So some simple hardware changes is sometimes the only solution. I never thought I'd be running DX10 constantly on FSX but here I am.

Guest JeroenR

Cheers m8, and thank you again:-beerchug

Guest JeroenR

Hi Lennyt,Thanks for the advice, but for me personaly it is not applicable since I do own a Geforce 8800GTX videocard with 768MB DDR3 memoryOther specifications are Intel Core2Duo E6600 (2,4 Ghz at 1066Mhz FSB0, 4GB DDR2 ram dual channel @ 667Mhz and 2x SATA 250GB (7200RPM maxtor) HDD's in RAID-0 config.This machine can do everything in every game. Only FSX with SP2 was giving me complete nightmares. Then you can consider the question:... Is it the programming from MS, is it me, or is it the hardware what lacks? (Vista is giving me an performance number of 5,3. The CPU is the bottleneck here. Rest is 5,9)Well.. as long I can play every heavy game I own on this system with the highest resolution and every detail slider full open without any problems, it is definitly the programming from Microsoft. But hey, I guess we will need to live with that, aint we?Anyhow, FSX with SP2 is accapteble right now, after 3 weeks of CTD's and many more errors. Even have to modify Vista for running it properly. That's really getting me sad. You almost need to be a high-tech programmer to get it working right.Regards,Jeroen

Jeroen, I fully aggree and my copy of acceleration has already been filed as you have suggested. Don't really miss it but feel that we have been misled to believe that FSX was a DX10 product which it currently is not.Fly ever higher.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png