Sign in to follow this  
Tony P

Positive thread & TIPS for Dx10/SP2

Guest phpdk

David,I also checked with the Acceleration terrain.cfg - same problems. Btw: as far as I can see Acceleration did not make any changes to that file, it just reinstalled the RTM/SP1 version. Btw(2): The scenery works fine without the modified terrain.cfg. You will miss the coastlines, but not much else.And btw(3): I noticed the obs light problem almost everywhere I looked at default towers.Peter

Thanks for the information about Feroe Islands Peter, I will reinstall it.You are surely right about the modified terrain.cfg, I remember that Vancouver+ (FS Addon) had to be repaired after installing Accel because of the changes made in the terrain file but I didn't understand it was just a roll back to RTM/SP1 versionVery weird... I have double checked in many places: no problem at all with obs lights.Regards,David

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung curved 49" TV monitor 4K.
Honeycomb Alpha Yoke & Beta Throttle + Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder.

David... (and others)This thread has been incredibly helpful. I have significant real world experience with airplanes, but not so much with computers. Because of your suggestions... such as ... doing a thorough driver cleaning, and using the original cfg., it has given new life to my hopes for SP-2 plus DX-10 preview.I am a happy camper with both (DX-9, SP-2 AND DX-10) with one exception. I am plagued with a wavy screen. I have VSync enabled in nHancer as you directed... before I reverted to the original cfg and used the nVidia control panel, I had vSync forced on (without application control) and my wavy lines evaporated. I also use a Samsung 226W monitor. I read that the frame setting needs to be set at 30 because of the 60hz sync in the flat screen monitor. So I tried both 24 (as you suggested) and 30 as a lock, but I STILL am getting waves (I think it is termed "tearing"?) even with vSync forced on.Could it be that I don't understand how to make nHancer work? I have fsx.exe in the executables box for the profile. If there is more than that to making the settings of nHancer work, I don't know what it is. If I just start nHancer with the profile suggested... are the settings automatically overriding what the nVidia control panel has?I sent an e-mail with these questions. But I thought I would go ahead and post. I know how busy you must be. I'm not familiar with your system specs, but I am using E6700 at 3.6 ghz, evga 680i mb, evga 8800gtx, 4 gigs of Crucial Ballistix ram (not sure of the DDR PC desgignation).Thanks again for all of your work and help. I am very close to the end of tweaking, thanks to this thread. Can't wait to simply ENJOY some things in the sim.Take care,Steve

Hi Steve,Your kind words are very much appreciated, thanks.I already sent you an answer. you should get it on your mailbox soon.(we have few internet problems here in Jerusalem right now)best regards,David

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung curved 49" TV monitor 4K.

:-beerchug Yep.I've moved over many countries in my (long) life and I always have this book in my bundle!Together with K.Gibran's "The Prophet" :--)Now with Phil Taylor's wonderful glasses (lol) I can read them again!

Best regards,
David Roch

To cure the "tearing", try to set Vsynch to On instead of Application controlled.

Bert

Hey David (an if Phil Taylor may be reading)Have you noticed with Direct X 10 preview turned on that the yellow taxi lines and also the progressive taxi arrows ( not that I use the later much)display and then flicker and do not display and then come back.Now is this a fault of FSX and Direct X 10 and hopefully will be addressed with SP2 due out soon ( I notice from Phil's blogs, beta testing has started on Sp2Of is this a driver issue?I currently have Nvidia 8800 GTX drivers Version 163.75 WQL installed.Dated 4 Oct 2007Phil M ( customer)On a side note, My Traffic by Aerosoft has relased a patch which means 6o to 70% of the AI afct textures will show with Direct X 10Pity their compieitors are so far behind.Traffic X has something due out soon but not approx date and Flight One UT have no news of any update.Guess I know which one I'll be using for the next few months til others get their act together. If one can do it, then others can too.

Hi Phil,This is a known driver issue with Dx10 preview and there is nothing we can do now than wait for better drivers from Nvidia.The SP2 due out soon you are talking about is the free version of the existing SP2 included in the Acceleration package you have.There will be NO changes, ACES just work on delivering this SP as a download version in different languages.Thanks for the info regarding My Traffic :--)Best regards,David

Best regards,
David Roch

Hi David, thought it might be a driver issue from how it was behaving or the fluttering effect. So the sp2 freeone, is nothing new for those who bought the accelation pack.Hmm, I don't think a lot of people are aware of that, I guess they will find out.Your welcome re My Traffic.Nice to be at my home airport and see all but one afct now showing liveriy and I think it is only because it is a 757 afct.CheersPhil

Guest Neville van Eerten

Thanks Dave for your thread and advice.Well I'm not there yet but at least I had a 13 hour flight with PMDG and ASX running, which was an impossibility before now.I have used the Drive Cleaner you suggested and it won't allow me to install the 169 series nvidia drivers so I will have to wait for other versions to come before I can try them.I did other things recommended on this forum like Windows Updates KB933590 KB938194 KB938979 KB940105 and KB932249. I am using FSX Accel and Vista 32 bit . I did not use Dx10 but got it going with Dx9 as long as I don't add in the ASX textures. I am also running MyTraffic 5.1aBy using msconfig to ensure nothing starts at start up including my virus checker which will still do background checks if turned off after startup (NOD32). It is my opinion (and that's all) that this may be making a differenceSome may want to try the msconfig and see if that helps as it may have with mine. Type in msconfig on start search Go to services and Hide all microsoft services then disable what is left. Then go to start up and disable all. Next step for me is to try Dx10 without the ASX graphics and see if that will work.Will keep you informed if I have any success, because 13 hours of PMDG was an impossibility until now.I am using nvidia 163.75 as I can't seem to load the 169's yet2 core 6600 Nvidia 8800GTX. Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 mobo. I am a little scared to put the latest mobo driver on in case I have to reinstall other things.RegardsNeville

Hi Neville,I use FS Autostart with Vista 64 and closing services and programs helps for sure. (it does the msconfig job)If I could give you an advice, stay with the WHQL driver for now because the feedback from Guru3G's forum is very bad with the 169's.As for your mobo, "don't touch if it works"!Best wishes,David

Best regards,
David Roch

Guest JeroenR

Hi David (and others),With full interest I have read this whole threat and tried everything possible to get my hardware working with DX10.Firstly let me introduce myself...I'm Jeroen from the netherlands. I'm in the beta test team for the IVAO software development department, and thats mainly the reason why I went to this topic.Besides being a betatester @ IVAO, I also am the owner of http://www.klm-va.nl wich is active with many pilots on the IVAO network.About 6 months ago I bought the folowing system especially for FSX and all the announced features like DX10:Core2Duo E6600 FSB 1066Mhz4 GB RAM @ 667 mhz DDR22 SATA 250GB hdd's in RAID0 configNvidia Geforce 8800GTX 768MB DDR3Windows Vista home premium 32bitThis system together with FSX including acceleration pack and activating DX10 brings me insane!It is very nice to see all those nice graphics, altough, I never had so much CTD's in my whole flight simulator carreer:-mad Honestly I am not somebody who is giving up soon. I even did do a complete reinstall of Windows vista, FSX and acceleration.A complete clean install on the computer with only a fresh install of Vista, FSX, acceleration and all the updates for Vista of course.Well... Even when setting things up like this (cleaner than this is just impossible) i have also CTD's.The first CTD was a ntdll.dll error after about 4 minutes flying some mission in fsx with DX10 activated.Second ctd was a api.dll error after over one hour flying the same mission.The ntdll.dll error was something to do with windows vista (even when setting up a clean install of Vista it contains a lot of errors), i resolved that one, using 'Tuneup Utility's 2007'But the api.dll error is a mystery to me. I searched by google over the internet, but only thing I see is cracksites to steal acceleration pack from MS.To make myself clear... Everything I have is legal...I did setup the videodrivers, nhancer and the settings in fsx excactly like you told us here. At least I got rid of the Nvidia errors for now, but now I have the api.dll errors wich causes the CTD's.I would be very greatfull to you if you can help me out with this one here.Right now, I feel like being some betatester for microsoft with all these troubles when using DX10. Exept I have payd a lot of money to buy this software, neverless speaking of my computer wich is especially bought to play FSX :-( Maybe MS was not ready to release this software, who knows....A little disapointed right now, but I'm sure there will come a solution some day, whenever that might be....Thank you very much in advance.Regards,Jeroen

>Hi Phil,>>This is a known driver issue with Dx10 preview and there is>nothing we can do now than wait for better drivers from>Nvidia.>The SP2 due out soon you are talking about is the free version>of the existing SP2 included in the Acceleration package you>have.>There will be NO changes, ACES just work on delivering this SP>as a download version in different languages.>>Thanks for the info regarding My Traffic :--)>Best regards,>DavidHi David, you'll know I assume the answer to this.This affinity job scheduler thing some have mention, see posts earlier in this thread.Does it help?I assume one has to actually put the wording in as typed into fsx.cfg oneself and then adjust values allowing for how many cores one has.Cheers Phil

Hi Jeroen,I am sorry to see you have so many problems with FSX.CTDs are so frustrating...I am not sure I have the skills to really help you but here are some ideas.You have a good machine and I don't believe you have any hardware issue.In order to try to fix them you have to isolate the problem:1) Vista?2) FSX DX9?3) FSX DX10?4) Only missions or any flight?5) any software you installed together with Vista (anti virus or other)?I have no clue why this api.dll is causing CTDs in your PC.But generally it has something to do with Visual Basic.Try installing the latest version you can find here:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa975050.aspxLet me ask you few questions...- there is something strange: you say Tune Up helped fixing Vista errors. Which functions of TU2007 did you use for that? Did you have to clean the registry or was it a simple "One click maintenance"?.- did you upgrade from XP or is it a full Vista install?- have you installed the latest DirectX End-User Runtime? (which is not a part of Vista's automatic updates)Maybe can you also post at the Hardware Forum, there is a CTD thread with lot of people helping each others.Keep us informed.Regards,David

Best regards,
David Roch