Sign in to follow this  
Pilot2PC

Consensus on Intel 14th or AMD X3D for MSFS

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my PC. I currently have a 9900K and RTX4090, with a 4K 120Hz Gsync monitor. I'm using the PC for MSFS (mostly airliner flying), gaming and music production. I'm going to keep the 4090 of course, but I was wondering about the CPU choice.

I've read quite a few articles about the new 14900K, its consumption and running temperature. Read a bit as well about the 7950X3D and the need to use the xbox gamebar to park the cores (the 7950X3D is more appealing to me than the 7800X3D given the music production needs)

Now that the 14th gen is released, has there been a general consensus about the best CPU in MSFS? Seems like the X3D still has the upper hand? Is that also the case for airliner flying? Any problems running gamebar and getting the right CCD to work in MSFS for users of the 7950X3D?

Cheers

All of the benchmarks I’ve seen give the X3D the upper hand in MSFS and other games that make use of its specific technology (L3 cache I think it’s called?)

I tried hard to find a way to convince myself a 14900k was an ok purchase rather than a 7800X3D to keep in my intel comfort zone but failed to make an valid argument to myself, the facts are just too strong the other way.  I’m just waiting on an AMD adapter for my CPU cooler to arrive and I’ll be building my 7800X3D system.

Now granted I was focused on MSFS as my most demanding game/use…if you do other things where the 14900k has the upper hand (and those do exist) you’ll still end up with a very nice upgrade in MSFS either way.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

21 hours ago, Pilot2PC said:

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my PC. I currently have a 9900K and RTX4090, with a 4K 120Hz Gsync monitor. I'm using the PC for MSFS (mostly airliner flying), gaming and music production. I'm going to keep the 4090 of course, but I was wondering about the CPU choice.

I've read quite a few articles about the new 14900K, its consumption and running temperature. Read a bit as well about the 7950X3D and the need to use the xbox gamebar to park the cores (the 7950X3D is more appealing to me than the 7800X3D given the music production needs)

Now that the 14th gen is released, has there been a general consensus about the best CPU in MSFS? Seems like the X3D still has the upper hand? Is that also the case for airliner flying? Any problems running gamebar and getting the right CCD to work in MSFS for users of the 7950X3D?

Cheers

Check this video out gives you a good idea of what the fps looks like with intel vs amd

Edited by Silverbird
  • Like 1

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Inte'ls power usage nowadays is almost criminal. Besides, the 14 series is basically the 13 with even less efficiency.

Good days for AMD.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

as long as MSFS is the main criteria, it's no question AMD 

• Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

For your usage, X3D is a no-brainer. Less power, heat and more performance. 

As said and I agree, the Intel power usage is almost criminal at this point and their desperation of staying competitive by just cranking the power dial is getting sad. 

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Sorry for stupid question, but is X3D overclockable? I’m planning to build new system soon on AMD base and slowly collecting the info. And if it is, what frequency I may expect?

Now I easily have 5.0 with old 9900k 

thanks 

Edited by G-YMML1

I have the same GPU as the OP but my monitor is a 60HZ 4K TV which means no matter what new kit I get I can only see 60 FPS and quite frankly if I had a system that never got below this in MSFS2020 and was very smooth with no stutters I would be more than happy.  In fact at present I get close to this with FG enabled and a 60 FPS frame cap and vsync on in the NCP - but I have to limit CPU intensive settings and I am leaving GPU performance on the table with a main thread limited 9900K. So I want to upgrade and if I go the intel route (probably I9 14700K) I can reuse  my DDR4 RAM (3600  CL16) and my Corsair 115pro AIO cooler meaning the upgrade would cost about 1168 AUD. On the other hand going the AMD route with kit as per the above vid means getting new RAM and a new cooler as well as the CPU/MB for an upgrade cost of about 1547 AUD - a 379 AUD premium.  The differences in performance in favour of the AMD platform compared to the Intel kit in the above vid are compelling although I have seen other reviews suggesting AMD's advantage at 4K is much less at about 3-4%.  I would be interested in seeing the same tests but with say the PMDG 787 or the Fenix A320.  The power usage and CPU temps of the intel platform are higher than the AMD one in the above tests but similar to what I get now with my 9900K and not exceptional.  So a bit of a dilemma and one option would be to kick the can down the road and wait to see what Arrow Lake brings to the table compared to AMD.  Reminds me of my Civil Service days when presenting an options paper to higher management - the do nothing option is often the most appealing.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

11 hours ago, G-YMML1 said:

Sorry for stupid question, but is X3D overclockable? I’m planning to build new system soon on AMD base and slowly collecting the info. And if it is, what frequency I may expect? Now I easily have 5.0 with old 9900k 

By and large, you cannot overclock the 3D VCache chips - the cache prevents thermal transfer to some extent.

Clock speed is like engine RPM, by the way. A Civic can rev higher than a Corvette. Doesn't mean it has more power.

Cheers

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

44 minutes ago, Luke said:

By and large, you cannot overclock the 3D VCache chips - the cache prevents thermal transfer to some extent.

Clock speed is like engine RPM, by the way. A Civic can rev higher than a Corvette. Doesn't mean it has more power.

Cheers

So...overclocked 14900k (and I don't see a reason to buy and not overclock) might be on par with 7950X3D, if I'm willing to spend some money on additional cooling and 1500W PSU, right? 

Just a follow up to this. I redid the test flights as per the above YT vid with my 9900KF/4090 kit and I get about 50 FPS.  So this implies if I upgraded to a 13900K I could expect a 50% lift in performance but almost a 100% lift with the 7800X3D.  Quite remarkable when looked at this way and certainly food for thought.  But if I keep my 60Hz 4K TV this all becomes a bit moot as I can only see 60FPS which will be dead easy to never go below with FG and just about any CPU upgrade.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Yeah the 7800x3d is THE best selling CPU across four major e-tailers... like amazon, BH, newegg, and one other I can't recall.

I wish I would have jumped on the 5800x3d which is superior to even my 12700k blah!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I use ECLK on my 7800X3D the max boost on std is 5050mhz you hit that with good cooling and or use undervolting (curve optimizer)

with ECLK set to 105 it  boost to 5300mhz that is 100% stable for me , have custom water cooling , when run Cinebench R23 multicore it boost 5070mhz in MSFS 5300mhz 

had a 5800X3D and that one only boost to 4550mhz with undervolting ( curve optimizer) ,.

the 7800X3D is a monster cpu compared to the 5800X3D  very happy with the uppgrade paired with a 3000mhz 4090 

at 4K ultra settings FG with a LG C2 120hz G-Sync i have 80-120fps a Fly tampa EHAM run PSXT ai and vram usage 19500mb 

Edited by westman

I have the 7800x3d and the 7900xt video card and am very pleased. Couple this with M.2 drives and 32 gigs 6000 ram and it works great.