Sign in to follow this  
ccaughie

do you miss flying when at work??

Guest davewins

all day at work i am thinking about landing an ils approach at some difficult setting with 155 passengers on board. i just can't wait to get home to fly every day!!While I am on the topic I wish for FS11 they would either just add more missions or add an ai copilot. It's much easier when you have someone handling the radios for you unless of course you are on autopilot. I know it's not needed for most GA flights but it could be helpful if you want to just turn it on. Also theres something about the atmosphere of the flight attendants telling the passengers to please be seated in the background. It just really gives it that feel of a real flight. Now add that to even better looking scenery and even more realistic landing (because I honestly think landing is a little too easy in the game). I have it on realistic settings and I can land pretty much any plane anywhere even if I am misaligned from the runway. now i'm rambling time to go to work and miss fsx.

Guest tcable

I have a number of issues :)I'm a PP-ASEL that has been inactive for some time (living in Boston is expensive! Owning a house in the suburbs more so, a new daughter!)My office faces south in Downtown Boston. When departing KBOS 27, the shadow of departing aircraft very frequently flashes across my windows.I got the bug as a child, and It's never let go. FS is currently my only means to a fix. It's far cheaper than $5/gal AVGAS too. I figure that fuel alone in a 172 these days is over $40/hr.

I think probably what's required to make landings more challenging is to punish you more if you get it wrong. I'm sure the actual flight dynamics are already fairly accurate. You'd probably find that you could land a real plane with roughly the same accuracy as you do in the sim, the difference being that if you let a real wheel veer off the runway onto the grass verge you'd probably lose control of the plane and do it some significant damage.Another thing I'd like to see (apart from better damage modeling) is some kind of feedback on the quality of a landing, and possibly other manoevres. For example if you land way off the centre line the ATC guy could make some amusingly snide remark about it. And if you land really smoothly you might hear applause from the passengers.ColinP.S. And yes, I do miss flying when at work... :)

Guest jshyluk

If you miss flying at work, then you should consider trying out as an AVSIM Product Reviewer. Then you can fly as work. Really, really fun work. Fifty times more fun than any other kind of work, and I have had some really fun jobs over the years, so I do know what I am talking about here. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, AVSIM

Guest davewins

I still think flight dynamics need to be worked on a little more. I have never flown a plane but on the sim I can fly the tough missions fairly easy. And I know if I got up there in the real world I couldn't do it. I think they have them down great but I think there should be more sensitivity if you will. Maybe it's that I am landing with a very low frame rate (8-12fps) that is causing it to be easier. I really don't know. I put it on realistic settings for flight and it still is easy. The tough part for me is the approach and knowing what to do and when to do it. I have to make too many corrections. I think it should be harder to keep the plane perfectly level for the actual touchdown. Like I said before I never flew before but I have been in small aircrafts and obviously jets and I know that the landing is NEVER as smooth as it feels in FS. I guess there should be more punishment for tougher landings. Can anybody see where I am coming from in the landings being a little too easy. I would love to hear from real life pilots. Maybe it's the low frame rate.

> Like I said before>I never flew before but I have been in small aircrafts and>obviously jets and I know that the landing is NEVER as smooth>as it feels in FS. I guess there should be more punishment>for tougher landings. Can anybody see where I am coming from>in the landings being a little too easy. I would love to hear>from real life pilots. Maybe it's the low frame rate.I've had many landings in FS where the visual cues (which are creating a sense of feel) seem very realistic. I'm precisely using throttle & elevator to get the perfect landing with the two mains touching before the nose wheel. I can sense and correct for yaw, thanks to added peripheral vision from the VC.Some models have a great sense of "feel" associated with them; but it's all visual, with a little help from the centering spring. This is where the real pilot part come in. Since a real pilot knows the "feel", the mind fills in the missing gaps, which adds to the sense of really being there.FS might not be as touchy as certain real life wind conditions, but the overall effect works rather well. For this reason, I enjoy the landing phase more than anything else. And BTW, rudder pedals are a definite must, to put the "virtual" sensation of "feel", altogether.I especially got a kick out of RealAirs Spitfire for FS2004, where proper power settings and airspeed means everything for the landing. If not done correctly, the plane can sink to quickly, or bounce, which can even lead to farther problems.L.Adamson

bit of an old topic now but, I Just saw a gulfstream 4 and a few citations take off a few hundred feet in front of me from my office.. now I want to go home and do a long haul in the pmdg 744. lol!Andrew

No, I don't miss flying when I'm at work. I've been so busy lately that I don't have time to think about anything else! :-)

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Why doesn't the original poster just go to pilot school and do it for real?The pilot market has never been hotter.With the way things are going in the US, you could conceivably get a right seat job in a regional with 250 hours. Of course the 16 year-old kid working the deep fry at your local Chicken D.O.A. will probably make more money than you, but the important thing is you're flying :-)Bryan