Sign in to follow this  
vonduck

CTD's all the time now!

42 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Hi, can you explain specifically how I can go about doing this?

I took Landon’s advice last night and shut off the AI Traffic which I didn’t even know it was on.  Went to PANC and no CTD as it spawned there and flew to Homer as a test in the A2A and it was fine.  But I had no traffic because I already disabled FS Traffic.  

Thanks for any pointers.

Jack

I posted them just a bit earlier in this thread: 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

I posted them just a bit earlier in this thread: 

Much appreciated kind sir.

Jack Sawyer

On 11/17/2023 at 8:22 AM, sniper31 said:

So, an update on my CTD struggles...been a few days since I last posted on this subject. A bit of information to follow, so please bear with me 🙂

I went ahead and swapped out my hardware as I stated earlier in this thread, and even then, completely different PC platform with a fresh, vanilla install of MSFS with SU13 I was getting the exact same CTD's with the same error code in Event Viewer. So, I reinstalled my 7800X3D platform hardware and went back to the troubleshooting board.

Next step was do a deep dive on the official MSFS forum in the CTD thread that covers my same error code in Event Viewer. Looking at that thread, there are a ton of MSFS users suffering from this same issue, mostly since SU13 was released. I will say that in that same thread, in the earlier parts of it, there are many comments from users that started having similar if not the same CTD issues with SU12 release. But, it seems more started having it after SU13. After spending hours digging through that ever growing thread, some of the key takeaways I noticed:

1) Many of the CTD's referred to in that thread are a little different than mine, ie they were CTD's caused by the inflight VFR map, or the MSFS flight planner zoom crash, or they were various random CTD's due to something in their Community folder. 

2) There are some people in that thread that have tried the lowering their data speed on their high speed network cards, but by no means is it an overwhelming suggestion or proven fix. It does seem to work in some cases, for some users based on comments in that thread, but not enough for that to be a definitive answer to the general CTD problem, and definitely not for my specific CTD problem. 

3) Spread throughout the long thread, there are a few references to Offline AI Aircraft Traffic causing infight CTD's, which are the kind I have been having, even in a vanilla setup with an empty Community folder. The first mention I saw of it was a user who was having the same type of CTD I have been having but since SU12. He turned OFF his Offline AI Aircraft Traffic, and he never had another CTD. For whatever reason though, not many people saw or commented on his solution. Further down the thread, a few more people with the same CTD in SU13 tried that same solution with successful results. 

4) Now, on my system, prior to this CTD problem I have been having, I was using FSLTL and FS Traffic. Both worked fine, but as you all know, not much GA traffic with those. So, in an attempt to at least get the MSFS default GA traffic mixed in, I turned on the Offline AI Traffic around the time SU13 came out. I cannot say definitively that I had it turned on before or after SU13 was released, but it was around that time because I was transitioning then from flying airliners to more GA and helo flying, so hence why I wanted more GA ai traffic. So, after spending all that time digging into that MSFS forum thread, I gave that solution a shot. 

So, I started with a vanilla MSFS install and just the USA WU. I flew three full IFR flights in the default TBM 950 to and from default airports, with NO AI traffic of any sort. After three flights, not a single problem. In every past attempt at troubleshooting this CTD problem of mine, I could never reach more than two successful flights without a CTD. So, three successful flights is a great start. Of course, this solution is not definitive with only three successful flights, but I wanted to update you all and I will keep testing. I plan to add FSLTL for my next few flights and see what happens, leaving Offline AI Aircraft Traffic turned off.

Lastly, if this is indeed the reason for my CTD's, then it is a bug in MSFS. Based on the information in that thread, it will have been around since at least SU12. It also explains why so many people are NOT having this CTD problem, if they are not using Offline AI Traffic. Even so, maybe it only affects certain setups, although for me, I showed that I get the same CTD on two completely different systems. So, more testing and I will update with my results. More to follow 🙂 

So, you were running offline ga with online commercial traffic? That does explain quite a bit. No offense but its best to move all sliders to zero as well as removing ALL addons of any kind.

I use AIG with the GA traffic mod without issues. Which maybe there is an old (as far as this sim goes) issue with liveries or textures regarding the GA planes? I know the FSLTL injector allows GA traffic (VFR) in the mix if you please.

Edited by Sonosusto
  • Like 1

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

On 11/17/2023 at 8:47 AM, sniper31 said:

Um, appreciate the suggestion, but as I am trying to troubleshoot and resolve a CTD problem that has been plaguing me since SU13 I hardly think introducing additional freeware mods is the best answer. I have of course heard of those mods, and maybe I will give them a try, WAY after I have confirmed I have solved my CTD problem first, which of course is the prudent course of action 😉 

I understand but I will vouch for this freeware mod https://flightsim.to/file/38966/ga-stock-aircraft-traffic

I have used this for well over a year without any issues. It allows you to use your traffic injector and this mod at the same time. Just a thought.

This really helped avoid conflicts.

• Like 1

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Dukes, Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

3 hours ago, Sonosusto said:

So, you were running offline ga with online commercial traffic? That does explain quite a bit. No offense but its best to move all sliders to zero as well as removing ALL addons of any kind.

I use AIG with the GA traffic mod without issues. Which maybe there is an old (as far as this sim goes) issue with liveries or textures regarding the GA planes? I know the FSLTL injector allows GA traffic (VFR) in the mix if you please.

Okay, another update. Turns out this was NOT a solution for my CTD's, which I say once again, ONLY started with SU13. I managed only three successful flights with the Offline AI Aircraft turned off. Fourth flight, same CTD, same Event Viewer error code. I am fast running out of options. I am now testing the lowering of my NIC bandwidth, as some of you have suggested worked for you, even though I abhor the idea of suddenly having to lower my data speed just because MSFS, after three years of being released, decides it doesn't want to work with high-speed data service. IF this turns out to be a work around, it does NOT give me a lot of confidence that the upcoming MSFS 2024 that is supposed to rely on more streaming and cloud service is going to pan out well. But I digress. Back to MSFS 2020 and my current CTD SU13 issue. I have a grand total of ONE successful flight running at 100Mbps, half duplex on my NIC. That was last night. Just having time today to try and get some more attempts in, so let's see what happens. More to follow. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

I just lower the network speed specifically when using msfs and turn it back up when not. Not ideal but seems to sort the problem while it gets sorted long term.

4 hours ago, sniper31 said:

Okay, another update. Turns out this was NOT a solution for my CTD's, which I say once again, ONLY started with SU13. I managed only three successful flights with the Offline AI Aircraft turned off. Fourth flight, same CTD, same Event Viewer error code. I am fast running out of options. I am now testing the lowering of my NIC bandwidth, as some of you have suggested worked for you, even though I abhor the idea of suddenly having to lower my data speed just because MSFS, after three years of being released, decides it doesn't want to work with high-speed data service. IF this turns out to be a work around, it does NOT give me a lot of confidence that the upcoming MSFS 2024 that is supposed to rely on more streaming and cloud service is going to pan out well. But I digress. Back to MSFS 2020 and my current CTD SU13 issue. I have a grand total of ONE successful flight running at 100Mbps, half duplex on my NIC. That was last night. Just having time today to try and get some more attempts in, so let's see what happens. More to follow. 

That is pretty odd. I am just thinking aloud here.... in order for us to really dive into what's the matter you must have everything....and I mean everything removed from the sim. First and foremost. I know you've already done this but I think it would be best to keep it completely vanilla until were (you) sure that it's not add-on related. If its the servers? Not sure. My internet bandwith is all over the place. Unlimited everything

Edited by Sonosusto

48 minutes ago, Sonosusto said:

That is pretty odd. I am just thinking aloud here.... in order for us to really dive into what's the matter you must have everything....and I mean everything removed from the sim. First and foremost. I know you've already done this but I think it would be best to keep it completely vanilla until were (you) sure that it's not add-on related. If its the servers? Not sure. My internet bandwith is all over the place. Unlimited everything

Already there my friend. When I reinstalled MSFS a several days ago, I have since kept it completely vanilla for troubleshooting purposes. As in, nothing, no addons, nada, nix, zip. I did mention that I was going to add FSLTL yesterday, but that was only IF the Offline AI Aircraft potential solution worked, which it didn't. So, I never reinstalled FSLTL yet. I have still, a vanilla install of MSFS. To that end, I have installed the USA WU just so I can at least have a few more Asobo updated airports do vary my testing out of during this troubleshooting process. But, otherwise it's default everything....default scenery, default weather, default planes, default flight planner, you get the idea. And, I don't use FSUIPC, SPAD or anything software like that either. My Windows install itself is pretty vanilla, because in general, I don't like bloatware and I don't like a lot of apps running in the background. I've also not installed any new hardware peripherals in the last 6 months.

I am about to start my third test flight with the 100Mbps Half Duplex work around, so we'll see what happens.

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

Since you have such a fast internet speed, I am going to assume you have rolling cache turned off. I only mention it since I had an intermittent CTD issue and went through much trial and error only to eventually find that turning off the rolling cache made it go away permanently. It also made the annoying intermittent stutters go away.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, rjquick said:

Since you have such a fast internet speed, I am going to assume you have rolling cache turned off. I only mention it since I had an intermittent CTD issue and went through much trial and error only to eventually find that turning off the rolling cache made it go away permanently. It also made the annoying intermittent stutters go away.

I have not used the Rolling Cache at all, besides testing it for about a week or two back when MSFS was first released. It made no difference on my system, so I have never had it turned on for over two years. Good thought though.

Edited by sniper31

15 minutes ago, sniper31 said:

I have not used the Rolling Cache at all, besides testing it for about a week or two back when MSFS was first released. It made no difference on my system, so I have never had it turned on for over two years. Good thought though.

A frustrating issue to troubleshoot. I would suggest perhaps trying to find out what you can do. Like fly between some remote airports in the Sahara and/or aircraft with simple avionics like the c152. If you can find something you can do consistently without a CTD, you can start changing things up to find out what your system doesn't like. If you can't fly around the Sahara in a 152 with all traffic turned off, something very basic is wrong. I wish you the best in trying to get it sorted.

30 minutes ago, sniper31 said:

Double check and make sure it is indeed off.  I had to reinstall.  Afterwards had CTD and stutters... finally found that it had been turned on (I guess during the reinstall).  Turned it off again and boith went away.

4 minutes ago, tubbsds1 said:

Double check and make sure it is indeed off.  I had to reinstall.  Afterwards had CTD and stutters... finally found that it had been turned on (I guess during the reinstall).  Turned it off again and boith went away.

Double checked that it was not turned on a few times already. Good suggestion though. I wish it could be something so easy. 

11 minutes ago, sniper31 said:

Double checked that it was not turned on a few times already. Good suggestion though. I wish it could be something so easy. 

Ok I have read this entire thread but can't remember your display driver version.  I am on 531.29.  An old one I know but have found it very stable.  Whenever I try and update to the newest, I seem to induce CTD.  I have a 4090.

I feel your pain man.  I have been there many times over.  Sorry if I'm suggesting things you've already tried.

1 minute ago, tubbsds1 said:

Ok I have read this entire thread but can't remember your display driver version.  I am on 531.29.  An old one I know but have found it very stable.  Whenever I try and update to the newest, I seem to induce CTD.  I have a 4090.

I feel your pain man.  I have been there many times over.  Sorry if I'm suggesting things you've already tried.

No worries, I know you and others are just trying to help. As for drivers, I am currently on an older one that someone else in this thread suggested, but I have tried new, old, in between with no difference. The error code that I get with my CTD's is always the same, and it is not indicative of a GPU error code. Besides, when I updated to SU13, I was using the same GPU driver before and after that (before I started to troubleshoot and test other drivers when the CTD started), so I don't suspect the driver to be the problem anyway.