Sign in to follow this  
Guest Calb

$70 for an ALPHASIM aircaft?!

Since when is bottom of the barrel payware with an extra selection of liveries worth as much as a PMDG level aircraft? I mean if they actually built a VC which is on par with other payware, and included the extra liveries, I'd give them $40; but $70? I don't think so. When they started charging $40 a pop, I decided I will no longer support such a business, and now that they are charging $50, plus more for some skins, I have to wonder what in the world they're thinking. Why drive people away with insane prices?

Guest fsxmissionguy

Yea, that was a bit surprising to me. This is the most expensive Alphasim product by far (judging from the prices in their Shop) and the most expensive single aircraft add-on I've seen.What's interesting to me is that just a few minutes later, came the blurb for Flight Deck 5, at $29.95 for 6 arrested/launchable aircraft, a carrier, 5 missions, etc.?) I'm sure there are quality differences between these two packages ... but it's an interesting look at what the producers think the market will bear.I wonder if anyone has yet purchased the Intruder from Alphasim, and can tell us if the VC is worth the cost. Surprisingly, there is zero video in the marketing plan for this aircraft (yet) at Alphasim.

>Yea, that was a bit surprising to me. This is the most>expensive Alphasim product by far (judging from the prices in>their Shop) and the most expensive single aircraft add-on I've>seen.>-SNIP-Well, considering the abysmal state of the US dollar these daysversus the British pound and the Euro, I'm not surprised thata UK company has "adjusted" their products pricing strucure vis-a-vis the US dollar.The slide has been going on for five years now and it's onlyvery recently that anyone ( other than those of us whotravel to Europe or Canada ) has taken notice :( Paul

Wide-5.jpg

"What's interesting to me is that just a few minutes later, came the blurb for Flight Deck 5, at $29.95 for 6 arrested/launchable aircraft, a carrier, 5 missions, etc.?) I'm sure there are quality differences between these two packages ... but it's an interesting look at what the producers think the market will bear."Just an FYI here...just in case you might get the wrong impression.;-).There are several news editors/writers such as myself that receive all press releases and announcements as they come in; all at the the same time.Different people may post different items at different times depending on what is going on at that particular moment.We don't really care or choose who posts what or in what order as long as it gets done in the most timely manner possible. And now you know....the rest of the story :-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Unless I'm on the wrong site their prices didn't seem to bad in USD.Their default currency on the page is in NZD.After I changed currency it looked alot better.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Guest JeanLuc_

I concur. Reality XP is loosing 30% revenue just because of the USD/CAD exchange rate compared to just 2 years ago... Makes one think twice about the "price of addons". However, we try to still deliver higher standards anytime we release a new product, despite the 30% loss. Let's hope economy and exchange rate will permit to sustain the quality/price ratio further.

According to a PMDG post concerning their (PMDG's) conversion to a "foreign" currency :), the US market is no longer a majority market. Ah well..... it was great being a valued customer while it lasted. LOL. And my comment was not directed at any one developer, just lamenting the hit the US dollar is taking. I of course had no problem when the reverse was true. :)Bob..

Guest fsxmissionguy

Jeff,Just to be clear ... I wasn't so much commenting on the fact that these items were posted next to each other ... but rather the different marketing approach taken by two different companies almost simultaneously.The first offers a single aircraft for $70 USD. The second is offering 6 different aircraft, a landable carrier, and 5 missions, for $29.95 USD.That's quite divergent.Cheers,Kevin

Guest fsxmissionguy

Daveo,You may be on the wrong site (following prices from Alphasim's site):Price Main Package :approx. $49.75 USD,

It's all good :-) I should have used the term 'everyone' instead of you.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest JIMJAM

I use to buy everything Alpha came out with.Mostly impulse buys.Easy on the fps,jump in and go.Im guessing I have 2 dozen of their planes/sceneries.Then the prices started hitting $30.Then I started buying the ones I REALLY liked anD started to have to think about each purchase..Then their last big helicopter was over $40.I posted on their forum expressing my concerns about them pricing themselves out of the mainstream.I was brutally atacked and I will tell you what I was told.If you think it cost too much, DONT BUY IT!Here is the deal. If you love flying military aircraft, where you gonna go? Abacus? HA HA. Cloud 9 has 2 of the best ever made,the F-104 and f-4. Problem is they are falling apart and stagnant.Where else you going to find the cold war era jets. They have a incredible collection of aircraft nobody else dares to make.They also do not take 3 years to do it.I am not a systems nut or need to have each and every knob,switch to be clickable.The debate of are they OVERPRICED really depends on which side you are on.I mean, I own 4 pairs of Crocs. Nothing but light foam rubbery crap that cost $30-40 a pair.You can get a nice name brand leather pair for not much more.But I wear them more than any other shoe I own because they are easy to get on,confortable and I,well just like em.

I think Jimjams analogy with the crocs is spot on. Whether you feel an addon is expensive or not depends on how much you use it...and how much you like it. The best addon I ever bought was the Cloud9 F104, when it was first released. As I still use it for 95% of my flying...and have done for over two years...it works out to be also the cheapest. I bought the Alpha Sim F104 less than two months ago. It turned out to be so inferior(IMO) to the Cloud9 model..it spent less than 30 minutes on my computer..so worked out to be the most expensive. I think they should all give you a "try before you buy" option. I see where you're coming from Jimjam..concerning C9..and could'nt agree more. But for me..Alpha Sim just is'nt an option.Hahaha. Had to laugh when you said you were attacked for expressing an opinion on the forum. The mod. said he was in a mind to delete my post because I said I was surprised their F104 did'nt have a brake chute.Russell.

Guest MikeMiraglia

Greetings all, I have always felt that the increased sales from reducing prices would more than make up for the price reduction if the cost was balanced correctly. Maybe this is true in some cases but not in others. Either way, AlphaSim would have my money now if they brought the price down to $25.00. My company tried the idea of reducing our fares without making cuts and it worked very well for the past two quarters. Our profits increased by about 17% Q1, and 14% on top of that for Q2. But as I said, I suspect this is not always the case. -Mike

So is this a case of a compnay making an addon more expensive or is it just a case of exchange rates going against the customer?If the former then, yes, maybe you do have a point. If the later then why criticise the company? You'd be well pleased if the exchange rate was in your favour.

For $70 that add-on better cook, sew, and do the dishes as well as fly. That's an insane price. I've bought high-quality planes for less than half that. I think AlphaSim is simply fishing. See how many (insert unflattering adjective here) people fork over the dough, then laugh about it and release another plane twenty-four hours later.AlphaSim is the McDonalds of add-ons.