Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

F-18 in FSX

When I heard that the F/A18C was being added to FSX i was very unimpressed. as a long time F4/JF-18 pilot the thought of carrier ops and combat jets in FS was never a good idea to me. I still haven't seen one with decent avionics.Till now. I have to admit the pit in the F/A-18 is much better than I thought it would be. The working radar is very nice. No you can't lock up a bogey but if you have flown either F4 or JF-18 you will be right at home.One thing though it doesn't fly like a fly by wire aircraft. but that is a limitation of the sim. Forever non f-16's in F4 have FBW characteristics. You don't have to trim for power and so forthAnyhow good job Aces for putting a fast jet into FS that doesn't have a pit cobbled together from existing FS gauges.

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

>The working radar is very nice. No you can't lock up a bogeyYou *can* lock a bogey! It will not show up on the HUD, but the radar is able to lock to a single target, displaying additional infos about it. Just use the TGTDN and TGTUP softkeys on the right side of the screen, it will cycle UP/DOWN through all visible targets, locking each one in sequence.BTW, Acceleration's F/A-18 it's an "A" model, not a "C". How to tell them apart ? The fuel indicator on the C model is digital, the A has mechanical fuel drums with scrolling numbers.

Guest MikeMiraglia

Greetings all, With the ability to lock on to AI traffic, I would think a creative developer will be taking full advantage of this. I am all for being able to simulate a dogfight or taking out a ground target, at least as far as FSX will permit. -Mike

Yeah it's really nice except that issue you mentioned about the FBW...which isn't a limitation in FSX, as the default A321 has it. Also the exhaust nozzles don't change position and the outside sounds are pretty bad when in spot view. But the VC is great, HUD is smooth, external model detailed and its genuinely fun to fly.

The Acceleration FA-18 is the first military aircraft I have flown more than once. :) I don't have a clue if the flight dynamics are close to the real aircraft, but the gas mileage is terrible at full throttle. LOL. And I sure hope the 250 knot below 10,000 feet in the US is not a big deal for military aircraft. :) I am enjoying it very much. Bob....

>>And I sure hope the 250 knot below 10,000 feet in the US is not a big deal for military aircraft. I am enjoying it very much.:)Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

You are right Jeff! :) In my sim world I own the FAA! I need to find a larger gas tank. LOL.Bob...

I'm loving the CF-18. Having a great time flying over the Canadian north, setting down at isolated airfields. Good fun!

I love it too...here's a forum if you can't figure something out....which you prolly already know the 18 well...hehhttp://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/board,4.0.html

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

>>...if you have flown either F4 or>JF-18 you will be right at home.>As a former RF-4 driver, I thought the F-18 handled much as I remember the F-4 handling. I would have thought it would be a bit lighter on the controls?I love it too. Finally, a decent fighter for FSX.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

It's fun to see how high you can take this plane. If I point it straight up like a rocket and apply afterburners, I can get up to about 50,000 feet before it become uncontrollable, presumably because of the thin atmosphere.