Sign in to follow this  
MatthewS

Holy smokes! 8800GT

Guest ianrivaldosmith

I will NEVER go back to fs9 again! Just got a new 8800GT 512mb card and WOW in DX10 mode! few flickering textures need fixed etc, but overall WOW! now considering i run a AMD AM2 3800@2ghz, going from an x1600x to this card has brought me 100% inmprovement!This is stunning with light bloom etc flying the extra with car traffic around innsbruck, granted i wont be able to fly the leveld 767 out of heathrow until i get a new cpu, but WOW i cant help but say it!I was told that getting a 8800GT with my cpu wouldnt do anything for me, boy were those people wrong!Ianps anyoen wants some pics later on? this thing is magical!

ya, I got the same cpu and my performance is great aswell in DX10 mode. The only thing that is not working for me properly is the cockpit shadows. Do the cockpit shadows bring your performance down drastically?

Well considering that an X1600 is even slower in FSX than my old retired X800, of course a fire breathing 8800 GT is going to make a difference! But in general, the CPU is more influential when the FPS hang low, so you should see another good boost in low end performance if you upgrade to a 3GHz+ C2D or quad.I'm glad that the 8800 GT is working out well for folks like you. It's certainly the price performance point of the GPU world right now.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest ianrivaldosmith

Joey what tweaks have you got applied with your fsx.cfg?IAn

I have to agree!I got an 8800GT yesterday (my old 7900GT died). I notice that the visuals are much better because I can turn up cards features eg,1) Antialiasing to 16x Supersampling, 2) Transparency AA to Supersampling3) Ansiotropic filtering to 16xI find I can run more autogen. I guess because the card has 512MB of DDR3 ram. Plus trees look superb with almost no shimmering.I also got Acceleration XPack today and I find more FPS and smoother (AMD3500, 1GB ram, Windows XP, DX9).The card (Inno3D 8800GT 512MB DDR3) cost $299 AUD.Superb!

Matthew S

Yes, it is not only the CPU. But with FSX, it is MAINLY the CPU that determines low end FPS.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Are all you guys using Vista with the 8800GT? My 1600 Pro is on its way out and I'm looking for a new card. I'm staying with XP right now.Jim

I figured out why i was getting low fps with VC shadows. It only happens when i fly with MAGA SCenery California. Any Other place it does not effect performace at all. Wierd I must say.

Guest Maul

Bring on the pics man!!! My 8800GT is in the mail and won't arrive until monday.Eric

I'm using Win XP and DX9. So I'm not seeing any new DX10 features. I just mean because the card is powerful (and has 512MB DDR3) I can turn up all the card based settings (AA, AF, TA etc) and run more autogen.With autogen tree's I dont get any shimmering because I'm using 16x AA with Supersampling and Transparency AA with Supersampling with no hit on the FPS. I could not have with my old 7900GT. I use nHancer to tune the cards settings.I'm also using the Acceleration XPack (with SP2 included), so I think that may be contributing somewhat to the smoothness.In anycase, the 8800GT 512MB is a knockout card at a good price ($299 AUD). Incredible value for money.:-jumpy

Matthew S

Guest Maul

Glad to hear you're having such positive results with the card. I also have a 7900GT 256MB card and don't use autogen at all because without it, I get 20fps all the time. Was this the same result you had? I have a similar system to yours, and every time I'd turn on aircraft shadows, bloom or cap the frames above 20, I'd get constant stuttering, sound familiar to you?Also, with the 8800GT (which I'll have on monday, which isn't soon enough:)) are you running max autogen and max settings within FSX? Also, what are your frames capped at? I don't mean to be so intrusive, but I'd like a rough idea of where I should start when I install this thing.Thanks for your answers in advance, I look forward to running this game in all its glory in a couple days!Eric

I run normal autogen, normal scenery, no ai or road/water traffic. I think everything else max, except water 2x low.I'm using the Acceleration XPack too (which includes SP2).I find 16x supersampling AA is good in the LDS 767 VC when you zoom out a bit. Still nice and crisp.Don't expect miracles, just that 8800GT and SP2 is a nice improvement.Get about 20 to 30 FPS in LDS767 VC.In the Mooney and XPack Mustang VC think I get around 35 to 40 fps.Oh... I did a defrag too, and don't run virus checking when using FSX.

Matthew S