Sign in to follow this  
Guest bigean

*practical* differences DX9 vs. DX10

Guest bigean

Hi there,many folks still don't see the difference betweend DX9 and DX10. Also I'm courious what's the *practical* difference. I'm kindly calling the people with good performing DX10 for some special screenshots:1 shot SP2 DX9 without bloom and without water 2.x compared to 1 shot DX10 *with* bloom and *with* water 2.x, also with the framerates result.Reason: Seems like these 2 features were somehow designed with DX10 in mind - now with DX10 there's in best case not much penalty anymore. So it's a fair comparison. It's like thinking these features came with DX10. I'm still not sure which water 2.x setting is possible in DX10 without penalty. So it makes sense to compare a DX9 water settings and DX10 water settings that both show the respective max without fps penalty.What I'm missing so much is the "DX10 bloom" vs. "DX9 no bloom" comparison in airport buildings, runway lights in dawn, mountains light in day and dawn and the like. I've seen some plane bloom, but what does bloom do to the scenery?? What surprised me was one existing shot when there was reflective bloom in downtown fassades, reflecting the sun. That's a nice thing, how comes?Anybody there who can show these differences?THX a lot, Bigean

Guest ashman

I second this request.Theres users like us that havent upgraded and really need to know what we are missing.. You Tube has no videos.. Microsoft hasn't shown any really good examples either.Send us some of your best shots!

I made a youtube video. It consist of many shots using dx10. I can't post the direct link due to music copyright terms but here is my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=joeysipos - Under my videos click on the "Flight Simuator X .... " one.Ya, not many people have made videos on youtube. It seems like I am the only person who has spent time to create a good video on the Acceleration pack.

Guest bigean

Joey,I've seen that viseo on YT just yesterday. It was wonderful to see how your Rig is working. Great overall impression, fluent DX10. Thanks, really.It's just that I still don't know the *difference* between bloom and no-bloom, and *where and how bloom works* *in FSX*. Would be great to see a two mode video for comparison ;-) , but screenshots will be a more than welcome start.To put it the other way: We know better about--> Water enhancements with DX10 - Water with reflections (which ones exactly?) don't hit the fps anymore. Water shows whitecaps in wind. Have seen some screens to start understanding what that is.--> DX10 Shadows in 3D Virtual Cockpit: There's that video from sebby's blog - understood. Though, different reports on fps hit.But then - everything open for me around--? Light bloom: One more feature that DX10 accelerates fps-wise. But apart from seeing a video with a glider plane (sebby again) illuminated by the sun with compare of DX9 bloom and DX10 bloom - not such a big difference for me non-expert. How's the difference with no bloom? And for anybody just flying and not looking at the own plane all the time, *what else does benefit* from the light bloom effect?At the end, some screenshots that give a one point source for compare will convince (or dissapoint) a large group of us, if it's worth to grab Vista/DX10 Hardware and what HW we really need.Bigean

Perhaps it is time for another "Reality Check." ;)Considering that FSX will never have more than the "DX10 Preview," which is indeed just a "small sample" of what can be done......unless there's some other reason why DX10 is important to you (other PC games maybe?), it seems to me that the most prudent course of action now would be to wait until around the time for either Train Sim 2 or FSX11 is due for release.By that time, third-generation video cards may be available, and for sure and certain second-generation cards will be a lot more affordable! ;)Add to this, Vista and video drivers may well be more stable... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It's really hard to show DX10, you really just need to experience it. Just let me say with my medium range system it performs quite well - so good I never want to go back to DX9 mode. DX9 looks so dull now. The lighting, the waves, the shadows and the bloom looks great and none really effect performace all that much. I believe this is the start of Amazing graphics. Man, I can't wait for the future!

Guest Lennyt

the bloom looks great and none really effect performace all that much. I believe this is the start of Amazing graphics. Man, I can't wait for the future!You mean performance for you. I've got very bad blurries, stuttering, and just worst performance overall. On the other hand DX9 with SP2 is a whole lot better although running it today I got another out of memory error. This is after installing the Vista patch.Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz, 3 gb ram, 8400GS 256mb, Vista Home Premium

Ya, I know there are alot of people out there not getting great performance. I not sure what the problem is as I started out with bad performance - then played around with the graphic setting a bunch and ended up with great performance. but I believe by the time the 2008 rolls around everyone with at least a high qualitly dual core CPU, Geforce 8600 and up, and 3GB ram will be able to run DX10 mode with out a big hit on FPS. We must wait for the graphic driver issues to iron out. Note: the 8400 is not that powerful, it may be the reason for your poor performance.

Joey,You are ONE very talented individual. I loved the video. It's quite professional in my estimation. Thank you so much for sharing that extremely artistic work.

Try this forum discussion (sorry not Avsim but these were Beta testers that posted first screens)http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index...howtopic=128136There are over 40 pages of discussion & screenshots some with DX9 and others with DX10. It helps a bit but not exactly what you are looking for.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Guest Surfstud31

Here are a few screenshots I took because I wanted to see the difference between DX9 and DX10 period. All these shots were taken with identical settings in identical conditions. 'Light Bloom' on, 'Lens Flare' on and 'Water Effects Mid 2.x' and Autogen at Dense and Scenery Complexity at Very Dense with most sliders 3/4 up or max.My system is a HP with AMD dual core 2.6Ghz, 2 GB RAM, and a new ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT PCIe 512MB GDDR3 graphics card.I thought DX10 looked pretty good but it cut my frame rates in some conditions by almost half (which was still 15 fps+ so not bad as these shots were taken just outside New York City). DX10 certainly is brighter and has crisper lighting I thought.Here are the pics (unedited and not resized, just cropped) - the first one is a DX9 example followed by the DX10 example:DX9 - 31.7 FPShttp://mysite.verizon.net/vze2vj37/sitebui...s/DX9_water.jpgDX10 - 16.3 FPShttp://mysite.verizon.net/vze2vj37/sitebui.../DX10_water.jpgDX9 - no fps infohttp://mysite.verizon.net/vze2vj37/sitebui.../DX9_lights.jpgDX10 - no fps infohttp://mysite.verizon.net/vze2vj37/sitebui...DX10_lights.jpg

I like the day shots. You can somewhat see how the lighting is more realistic in dx10. thanks for taking the time to post your pics.

Guest bigean

surfstud,surprising. Although I wanted something different, your screenies are very interesting. On your hardware there's a drastic difference even with same settings. Thanks for posting your HW specs. ATI Graphics boards reports were rare so far. You got the HD2600, so it looks like that model improves quality but suffers from fps hit. I think with DX10 we all need to build new knowledge and HW makes a bigger difference.Last post I said that picture is clear on water representation. And personally I don't care too much if lakes and oceans look better or not. But it came to my mind how do wet runways and aprons look like with water 2.x and 1.x? What's the fps hit there when using DX10 and DX9?Bigean

Guest Surfstud31

>I like the day shots. You can somewhat see how the lighting>is more realistic in dx10. thanks for taking the time to post>your pics.Yeah, I was shocked at the difference in daylight between DX9 and DX10. To me, the water does look more realistic and shadows are less prominent in DX10.The pics at night don't do the lights justice but in DX10 lights seem to be quite a bit brighter and crsiper than in DX9.The problem with DX10 is that ALL aircraft not in dds format are basically unusable. They show up as gray or white. It is a shame and must be why MS calls it a 'DX10 Preview' and not just DX10.So, in the end, I'll probably fly most of the time in DX9 but it is cool to see what is coming down the road as far as DX10 is concerned. There really is a difference.