Sign in to follow this  
Guest bigean

*practical* differences DX9 vs. DX10

I am getting consistently higher frame rates in DX10.DX9 windowed 52.4 full screen 54.8DX10 windowed 56.9 full screen 68.9DX9:dx92qj5.jpgdx91fm9.jpgDX10:dx102sv1.jpgdx101ev0.jpg

Guest fsxmissionguy

That's a nice Cray you have there!

Nice screenshots, thank you!I just don't notice any (not a single) bit of difference of the DX9 screenshots compared to the DX10 one. I am not a graphic/pixel guru, but they do look identical to me. Or is it just me??Can someone point out a specific difference/improvement to me, because I don't see any?Pat

Thank you for those shots.Would you please post your system specs?Thank you,Jeff

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I see that the wave action of the water (ocean) texture seems to be or show more animation in the still shots (screen shots).For myself, that is about the only difference other than the lights at night seem to be brighter, but..but..I can get that exact same effect by running my DYNAMIC CONTRAST circuit/feature on my Samsung 245B LCD monitor. In fact, I use this feature all the time as it makes night flying and twilight/dawn simply awesome to behold!Bottom line, you can get the exact same 'look' with processing by 3rd party electronics (ie Samsung 245B monitor). For those that own a 22 or 24 inch Samsung, try flying with the D.C. on and you'll see what I mean about how contrast and lighting looks when rendered in DX10 preview mode, and then your D.C. and DX9.c mode. As far as bloom, try the D.C. as you climb up through various clouds layers at dawn or with a setting sun, and TELL ME, (I know some will, lol) that it doesn't mimic the DX10 shots! :) Good stuff.Mitch

Nothing special:Case: Chieftec Mesh120mm fan4x92mm fansPSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850WMobo: Asus Striker ExtremeCPU: Q6600 G0 @ 2.87GHzCPU cooler: Zalman CNPS 9700 LEDRAM: 2 pairs of 2GB Corsair Twin2X 800MHzXFX GeForce 8800GTX 570MHz 768MB3x 150GB Raptors750GB SATA 300Floppy driveDVD R and R/W

Guest bigean

GHD, thanks alot. Every side by side comp is valuable. Again seeing these shots, for most people it's hard to tell the difference. Meanwhile I can at least tell the difference with water ...... BUT THAT'S NOT MY POINT ;-)Maybe *you* are the one willing to give a different view (please :)):1. We all look at, say, your 3rd pic (DX10 window) and we note a framerate of 68.9 avg.2. now you would make the same shot with DX9, water 1.x (or the highest setting with no fps drop) and bloom off. Then we will note those fps (similar ones?) and see what quality we gain with DX10 at no fps penalty.THX, really!! Bigean

I don't understand. The DX9 and DX10 shots were taken with the exactly same FSX settings.

Guest bigean

>I don't understand. The DX9 and DX10 shots were taken with>the exactly same FSX settings.>I know! Most people do that in DX9/DX10 screenshots. I'm begging you, use ***different*** settings in DX9, so you get the same framerate. Then we compare the real thing: Same performance, DX10 with more features!!!!!!!!!!Imagine somebody had 20fps in FSX SP1. He had to switch off Water 2.whatever and switch off bloom, otherwise it was less then 10fps.Now with DX10 he can suddenly switch both on, because these very two features seem to be faster in DX10 mode. What does he win? He has now 20fps WITH Bloom and WITH Water 2.something. I want to see if that is how we could look at this. For me personally I will really dump my plans for DX10 HW, if bloom doesn't convince me. Bigean

That is his point : he wants to compare DX9 and DX10 shots with approximately the same frame rates, but to achieve this, obviously, you will have to sacrifice some eye candy, for example, DX9 without bloom, without autogen, maybe even water turned down to 1.X high, running at 40FPS, then see what you turn on under DX10 until you have 40FPS.(warning : previous numbers were just an example).Summarized, his question really is : what do we win in eye candy without loosing performance ?I am still waiting for my acceleration pack to arrive, so get those virtual camera's ready and shoot away !Jan

>>I know! Most people do that in DX9/DX10 screenshots. I'm>begging you, use ***different*** settings in DX9, so you get>the same framerate. Then we compare the real thing: Same>performance, DX10 with more features!!!!!!!!!!>Well, I see what you're saying, but wouldn't comparative screens with identical settings showing about the same framerate accomplish the same thing?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

No, what you get is with the same eye candy, what you win in performance.I myself always crank the eye candy up as much as possible, and then turn things down again so the sim stays enjoyable.So what he (and me also) would like to see is how much cake (eye candy) we get now for the same money (FPS).What you are doing is offering us the same cake for less money.I hope you understand the difference ?Thanks, Jan*** Edit : did Phil not promise to explain the improvements of DX10 over DX9 to us ? I would expect it to be something like what is requested here. (flaming shield on) And guys, I am really thankful that a guy like Phil is still participating here (flaming shield off) ***

Guest bigean

>Summarized, his question really is : what do we win in eye>candy without loosing performance ?EXACTLY, Jan! And 2 functions should greatly benefit from DX10: bloom and water. Having a normal DX10 PC, these are now functions we can switch ON (if my impression is true?)Bigean

Guest bigean

Reminder ...anyone willing to contribute some shots in the style1 shot SP2 DX9 without bloom and water low 2.x compared to 1 shot DX10 *with* bloom and *with* water medium 2.x, also with the framerates result.???I heard that bloom is not only effective on the sun itself, also on reflective material (glass, ...), lights (rwy lights, how do they look in HDR???) and emissive textures??? Can we see some examples, please? Most people with DX9 seem to have to switch off bloom because of fps hit. In DX10 it seems possible now, how is the difference having bloom? Pleeease?Bigean

Guest bigean

Reminder ...anyone willing to contribute some shots in the style1 shot SP2 DX9 without bloom and water low 2.x compared to 1 shot DX10 *with* bloom and *with* water medium 2.x, also with the framerates result.???At least theres a dev blog showing the differences in all 2.x water settings. I could sort out what I would win with SP2: Clouds reflections in water. If someone could prove that 2.x high doesn't put a fps hit in DX10 over 2.x medium, then we win terrain. I heard that bloom is not only effective on the sun itself, also on reflective material (glass, ...), lights (rwy lights, how do they look in HDR???) and emissive textures??? Can we see some examples, please? Most people with DX9 seem to have to switch off bloom because of fps hit. In DX10 it seems possible now, how is the difference having bloom? Pleeease?Bigean