Sign in to follow this  
Chris_CYWG

Diamond DA-20 C1 or Cessna 152/172

Guest Veeswa

Hello there everyone,At my aviation class weve got this great debate goin on between the diamond and cessna, and i was wondering upon your opinions on this topic, what are the advantages you consider of each aircraft over the other, and which one give you a higher qualification when entering other aircraft types in the future.Thankyou hope this may be a solution for the short term to this debate down here.

Guest jrewing

I find the DA-20 is very pleasant, it's relatively fast, economical with fuel, and easy to fly. The disadvantages? It can be quite hot inside the cabin when flying in warm weather, the plane is not certificated for IFR flight, and there are some odd limitations you need to be aware of, like maximum airframe temperature. The DA-40 is a great plane, too. It's certificated for IFR and the ventilation is a bit better.The C152/172 are proven designs, they're reliable, and they commonplace. The C172 is not as economical with fuel, but is still a great airplane. The cabin ventilation is better than the Diamond and you have a wing to give you shade from the sun and shelter from the rain.Most any training aircraft can prepare you to fly more advanced planes, so there are not hard and fast answers. A lot depends on your personal preference.John

For where I fly a Diamond would never make it in the summer so the school bought some Warriors for the glass cockpits.There are so many different ways to compare the two.Diamond: DA-20 would compare to a C152 and a DA-40 to the C-172Cessna: reputation and such a large fleet you can't shake a stick at it's reliability and track record.

I did my primary training at my local airport in a 152 and enjoyed it very much. It is slow so you can get used to the reaction time it takes to fly an airplane. Also, it is incredibly easy to fly, and especially land. Right now I'm flying 172s and Socata Trinidads for instrument training at my college, the University of Dubuque. The 172 is also very easy to fly, and a very good instrument trainers. The Trinidad is a little more airplane, but still fun to fly. I've never flown a Diamond, but low wing airplanes do tend to heat up more than high wing aircraft. Hope this helps.

You received excellent replies from all. I work for Air Orlando www.flyairorlando.com . We have all the aircraft discussed in our training fleet except the C152 (destroyed by Hurricane Charlie in 2004).When I look at the cost of training, I look for the most economical approach to reach the goal. If you visit our website, you can get a flavor of cost vs aircraft. For instance, when I wanted to accomplish Air Orlando's G1000 training, I choose the DA-40 over the C182-G1000 (Note - we didn't have the C172-G1000's at that time). In fact, I accomplished two things; Glass cockpit transition and constant speed propeller training. The next step was Hi-performance where I used the C182-G1000.We have quite a few former student pilots now private pilot's who transitioned to either the Cessnas or DA-40 for further training, e.g., Instrument, etc.My next goal is the Cirrus SR-20 for my flight review due in February 2007. I am doing the Cirrus transition course and FAA Wings program to meet the requirements.W. Sieffert

>My next goal is the Cirrus SR-20 for my flight review due in>February 2007. I am doing the Cirrus transition course and>FAA Wings program to meet the requirements.Do you have all of your ratings?

Nope, just a PPL. I may, at some time, start Instrument. I have weighed this option for several years. I know the benefits of having the instrument experience but can't justify the cost since the flying I do with my family is always in good VFR. Secondly, the recurrency requirements for Instrument adds an additional cost.The reason I am doing the Cirrus SR-20 is because insurance doesn't require an instrument rating like the Cirrus SR-22. I do on occasion get to fly the Cirrus SR-22 with a flight instructor on post-maintenance check flights.W. Sieffert

I would just get an instrument rating then you wouldn't have to pay for this flight review if you can get it in time.

I started my initial training on a "Kraptana" back in 1999... its a glider with a snowmobile engine in my opinion... The thing likes staying in ground effect, and the T-Tail makes it incredibley SCAREY in spins... I hated my instructor and switched to a Buck Seventy Two at a different school and stayed on that through my Commercial License... If you're considering aviation as a career then I'd just find the cheapest rental with the best instruction and do it that way... When you're applying for your first job no one is going to care what your first 250 hours are on. I went from a 172 to a Cheiftain FO to Aztec Captain to Cheiftain Captain, and doing a Metro III Captain ride in a few weeks... no one cared what I did my intial training on.