Sign in to follow this  
Snowfalcon

Landing the F-18 on a carrier is costing me a fortune!

Guest jprintz

As to the AoA bracket, there simply isn't one on the default HUD.As to navaids... the carriers now move, and there is (so far) no way to add moving navaids to the sim. However... there are lots of clever freeware and payware developers out there, and I suspect that someone will eventually find a way to SIMULATE a moving VOR, since you'd just have to compare the aircraft's lat/long coordinates to the carrier's, from which bearing and course deviation could be easily determined. It would be some pretty standard great circle trig. To simulate a moving ILS beam... the trig would be worse, but as long as very precise heading, position, and speed data were available for the AI carrier, I can't think of any reason it couldn't be done. (Sim variable update rates, or too taxing on the framerates?) Someone just needs to pull that data from the AI, which I know can be done for AI aircraft (as in some radar gauges), but am not sure how or if it can be done for AI boats. And I suppose there'd have to be a (simulated) radio frequency set aside or something, just for the carriers. I think someone will find a way to tackle this. Acceleration has only been out for a month, after all.>Does anyone know if you can bring up ILS data in the HUD in>the F/A-18 in FSX Acceleration? AOA bracket? I haven't seen>either, although it looks like you should be able to enter an>ILS freq in the UFC. I can't find any info on this anywhere.>>Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!>>Terry

Hi Bob.... Here is one of the simplest ways to land on a carrier. I will assume that you have a carrier with the arrestor cables installed. Here is what I do. First set the altitude on the autopilot system to 1500 feet. Set the rate of climb to 2000 fpm. Set the flaps to about 30 degrees. Set your heading control to 180 degrees less than where you are pointed. Set the radio NAV1 and NAV2 to the proper frequencies. Arm your launch speed to 170 MPH and set your aircraft speed to about 180 mph. Now the aircraft is ready to be launched. When you hit the period key to catapult the aircraft, immediately click on the autopilot and the altitude button. When the aircraft is airborne, pull the wheels and flaps up and then hit the hdg key for the heading control. The aircraft will fly parallel to the carrier under the automatic pilot until you are out about 10 miles, then set the altitude to 1000 feet, slow the aircraft to about 180 MPH and set the heading to 90 degrees to either the left or right of the heading. Look at the GPS map and try to intercept the glideslope at about a 30 degree angle to the feather by using the heading control and click on the approach button. When you are at 1000 feet you will be beneath the glideslope feather but you will be able to lock to the ILS for carrier alignment. Watch the distance from the carrier by the radio or some other means. When you are at 1000 feet, set the altitude to 900 feet and set your flaps and speed for proper landing, usually around 140 to 160 MPH. When you are at 900 feet, set the altitude to 800 feet and so on. When you get to 100 feet and are about half a mile from the carrier, disengage the autopilot and manually drop the aircraft slowly and aim directly for the arrestor cables. After a few tries you will become very competant at landing on the carrier. The reason we use the autopilot for takeoff is this, if you take the aircraft off manually and use the elevators or rudder, unless you set your rudder and elevator for level flight, the system will remember the last settings and when you switch off the autopilot for landing the aircraft wlll veer off in any direction, left, right, up or down. Hope this helps. George

I'm sure that Bob will appreciate your help - finally a solution to a problem he's been struggling with for almost four years smile.png

Let me add two additional points. These have nothing to do with airmanship, but the way FSX sets things up. 1. Be sure you're not landing over maximum trap weight. By default FSX gives you 100% fuel which usually places you over the maximum landing weight. The designed approach speed of 135 kts is for the maximum landing weight and at full fuel loads you may be up near 160 kts to maintain proper AOA. Carrier aircraft will refuel to the "ladder" which basically means they always trap very near maximum trap weight, but never over. 2. Turn off crash tolerances. MSFS has a default setting that a plane has "crashed" if the vertical speed at touchdown is >1,000 fpm. F/A-18's supposedly (haven't seen it in writing, but seen videos and been told by naval airmen) are cleared to touchdown speeds up to 1,500 fpm. You should be landing around 700 fpm, but a little less wind, needing to correct a little, etc can put you over the 1,000 fpm limit in FSX. That limit is all well and good for Cessna's and 747's, but has no place for the F/A-18. On this one you'll just need to be honest with yourself whether you were over or under 1,500 fpm (or other "crashes"). As others have mentioned, also make sure you have wind over the deck. Carriers will travel forward at 25-30 kts, so even in 0 wind conditions you still actually have at least 25 kts. This is about 20% of your speed and nothing to laugh off.

Eric Szczesniak

I am surprised that the VRS Superbug wasn't mentioned here. I haven't got it myself but it really looks good. I thought this was a PMDG level of quality add-on, so how come that so few people use it? Is it the performance hit?I'm interested in your opinions because I am looking for a really detailed fighter add on for FSX.Best regards,

Arjen Nederstigt

System:

Intel Skylake Core i7 6700K @ 4.0GHz / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme / Kingston 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz, CL15

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 

I made a saved flight (Carrier_Training) with a F-14 ready for takeoff at NAS Oceana, Va. The date/time ia: Oct. 16 2010 11:00 Local. Takeoff and climb to 1,000 feet and turn to a heading of 158. In a few minutes a carrier will come into view heading North to dock at Norfolk Naval Station. Enter right downwind and trap. Taxi, or slew, to cat and try it again. If you crash, it's a short flight back. The best aircraft to use is the Dino Cattaneo T-45 V2. It has a great HUD with AOA Bracket, AOA Indexer and indicator. It has a great manual that explains the carrier landing procedure. Thay don't get any better than this one! Check videos at Youtube. Have funDaveIntel Core I7 975 Quadcore OC @ 3.75 Ghz (Air)Asus P6T DLX V2 X58 1366, BD Combo Plextor B310SA6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866C7GTHIS ATI 4890 1GB, Samsung 24", Saitek X-52 ProLogitech Z680 5.1 Speakers, G15 Keyboard, G5 MouseThermaltake Element S Case, Corsair 850HX PSUC: Intel 80GB SSD w/Windows 7 Home 64D: WD 300GB Velocity Raptor w/FSX+Accel+GEX, F4AFE: WD 1TB Caviar Black w/Data SH4

I am surprised that the VRS Superbug wasn't mentioned here. I haven't got it myself but it really looks good. I thought this was a PMDG level of quality add-on, so how come that so few people use it? Is it the performance hit?I'm interested in your opinions because I am looking for a really detailed fighter add on for FSX. Best regards,
VRS F/A18 surpasses PMDG in FS innovation--they're 1st with the best collimated HUD with NAVFLIR. Performance? Zero issue, runs better than RA turbine Duke. Carrier ops with Dino's T45C and the F/A18 totally justify the existance of FSX.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

VRS F/A18 surpasses PMDG in FS innovation--they're 1st with the best collimated HUD with NAVFLIR. Performance? Zero issue, runs better than RA turbine Duke. Carrier ops with Dino's T45C and the F/A18 totally justify the existance of FSX.
Thanks for the intel, I am glad to hear that there are no performance issues. Does the superbug come with its own carrier or do you need another add on for that? Regards,

Arjen Nederstigt

System:

Intel Skylake Core i7 6700K @ 4.0GHz / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme / Kingston 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz, CL15

Thanks for the intel, I am glad to hear that there are no performance issues. Does the superbug come with its own carrier or do you need another add on for that? Regards,
There's a freeware Nimitz carrier by Javier Fernandez (amazing). You'll also need do download 'aicarrier' utility that allows you to place this carrier wherever you want it (and land on a moving carrier or keep it static). Freeware support to enable carrier ops is just awsome. You have to install FSX acceleration pack to use the catapult, FLOLS, and arresting cables. The VRS site accesible to customers has all the info on these things, help is also there as well. You'll not regret getting the F/A18.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I have a good friend who is a real pilot, owns 2 ex trainer jets and a travelair, and he says on landing, just look at where you want to touch down. Another valuable lesson is pitch controls speed and speed controls pitch.

There's a freeware Nimitz carrier by Javier Fernandez (amazing). You'll also need do download 'aicarrier' utility that allows you to place this carrier wherever you want it (and land on a moving carrier or keep it static). Freeware support to enable carrier ops is just awsome. You have to install FSX acceleration pack to use the catapult, FLOLS, and arresting cables. The VRS site accesible to customers has all the info on these things, help is also there as well. You'll not regret getting the F/A18.
Thanks for the info, now I will definitely buy it, the screens and videos of this plane look truly amazing.The hesitations that I had that kept me from purchasing this plane (the performance hit) are gone, I think hat my computer (see specs in signature) should be more than adequate to run it with acceptable framerates.Can't wait to see this beauty spread out over my three screens (that sounds a little dirty...sorry) Best regards and good landings,

Arjen Nederstigt

System:

Haha old thread!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Bob.... Here is one of the simplest ways to land on a carrier. I will assume that you have a carrier with the arrestor cables installed. Here is what I do. First set the altitude on the autopilot system to 1500 feet. Set the rate of climb to 2000 fpm. Set the flaps to about 30 degrees. Set your heading control to 180 degrees less than where you are pointed. Set the radio NAV1 and NAV2 to the proper frequencies. Arm your launch speed to 170 MPH and set your aircraft speed to about 180 mph. Now the aircraft is ready to be launched. When you hit the period key to catapult the aircraft, immediately click on the autopilot and the altitude button. When the aircraft is airborne, pull the wheels and flaps up and then hit the hdg key for the heading control. The aircraft will fly parallel to the carrier under the automatic pilot until you are out about 10 miles, then set the altitude to 1000 feet, slow the aircraft to about 180 MPH and set the heading to 90 degrees to either the left or right of the heading. Look at the GPS map and try to intercept the glideslope at about a 30 degree angle to the feather by using the heading control and click on the approach button. When you are at 1000 feet you will be beneath the glideslope feather but you will be able to lock to the ILS for carrier alignment. Watch the distance from the carrier by the radio or some other means. When you are at 1000 feet, set the altitude to 900 feet and set your flaps and speed for proper landing, usually around 140 to 160 MPH. When you are at 900 feet, set the altitude to 800 feet and so on. When you get to 100 feet and are about half a mile from the carrier, disengage the autopilot and manually drop the aircraft slowly and aim directly for the arrestor cables. After a few tries you will become very competant at landing on the carrier. The reason we use the autopilot for takeoff is this, if you take the aircraft off manually and use the elevators or rudder, unless you set your rudder and elevator for level flight, the system will remember the last settings and when you switch off the autopilot for landing the aircraft wlll veer off in any direction, left, right, up or down. Hope this helps. George
I hope after 4 years Bob can now land on the carrier - George, this is a 2007 thread..