Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

What needs to be done to make the sim look better??

Guest davewins

What do you guys think needs to be done to make the sim look better. I for one think they need to work on ground textures and autogen. I think the detailed airports look great although the performance flying around them is kinda weak. There's just something about flying over 3d objects that are hand placed that really make a sim look that much better. I think they need to work on the roads big time. The roads are just a silver (grey or whatever you wanna call the color) line going across the land. Some areas apparently are not populated at all. Some towns and cities are inhabited by animal only if you will (it's all woods!! lol). I know it's a lot to ask for and it sounds simple. But I want to see the ground look great from 1000 AGL and below not blurry flat images that basically look like I'm flying over a photo. That leads me to a question:Are the landclass or at least some of it from photoscenery because if you look at it from a completley top down view some of the stuff looks really great but if you get any kind of angle on it it becomes more "flattened".

Better looking mountain textures. Even with Genesis mesh improving the elevation detail, the mountains look "bleah".

FSGenesis mesh, Ultimate Terrain and Adam Mills' textures for Europe and the USA (freeware)- it all looks pretty good now.NigelVancouver

Guest DanWalloch

How about we all ask: How can FS be made to run better without giving up visuals?

Guest davewins

>Hi,>>to me, I'd just sum it up to the thread I've started a while>back:>>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search>wow simply amazing. I was looking at some of the trailers and I paused it when there was flight over the city. The level of detail and the lighting was simply amazing. I really hope that FS someday and hopefully soon enough can get these graphics. I don't see why they can't. The technology is there they just have to do it.

Guest davewins

>How about we all ask: How can FS be made to run better>without giving up visuals?I'm afraid to say that I think we need both.

I am an avid supporter of the following products which transform the sim completely. Ultimate Terrain Can and US, Flight EnvironmentX, FSGenesis, ActiveSkyX and XGraphics, not to mention some of the amazing airports out there by co.s like UK2000 and simwings Heathrow. GEX is supposed to be released shortly which may take the sim to a whole other level. Flight Terrain X looks very promising but expensive. I would consider buying their life time membership but with FS11 being completely rewritten I not sure they could ever develop all the regions they plan to do before FS11 and probably won't be compatible with FS11 so my money will probably go to GEX. FTX look amazing, though especially if you want to fly VFR in a smaller region.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest jshyluk

A good solution to improving the look of textures in FSX is to go out and get a better landclass. The textures won't change, but how they are arranged will improve. SceneryTech puts out a nice set of landclasses, for example, but there are other great products as well. A good landclass should at least do the following:-get rid of the extra deserts!-break up forests in agricultural regions-include many smaller towns missed by FSX-make urban areas look more realisticThere are freeware tools available to create your own landclass, but to cover something the size of a continent, you will need a computer-generated payware landclass. Usually, landclasses are not expensive, they won't negatively affect your framerate, and the file size is small for downloading. Currently, without extensive tweaking or exotic hardware, I would suggest that the most cost-effective way to make the biggest change for the better in FSX is to buy an up-to-date landclass.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim