Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

TUTORIAL: How To Create a Switch DX9/DX10

Easy and fun!Takes 2 minutes and saves hours :--)---------------------------------------------------------------------WHY A "SWITCH"?I love the "DX10 Preview" water but I don't like the DX10 bloom effect...So when I fly my ol' Goose in Alaska's lakes I want the DX10 Preview to be ON and if I fly the LDS767-300 or the PMDG 747-400X I want to see the nice DX9 bloom effect on the cabin so the DX10 Preview must be OFF.But I first have to launch the sim, check or uncheck the DX10 thingy and reload the sim. Same thing when I want to compare performances or try different drivers.And I am a lazy person. So...Here is what I have done and what you can do if you are lazy as well, and if you are running Vista and have a DX10 compatible card.HOW TO MAKE A QUICK AND EASY "SWITCH"I call this a "switch" but actually you will create 2 different FSX icons, one that will launch FSX with DX9 and an other one that will launch FSX with DX10 preview enabled.1) Backup your FSX.cfg2) On your desktop, create 2 new folders: DX9 and DX10.3) Load FSX, check DX10 Preview and shut down the sim(Your FSX.cfg is now

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest chinga

Great tip Dave....Thanx!!!Intel E6700 @ 3.8ghz2 gig Corsair Pc2-8500 @ 1066mhzEvga 680i nVidia motherboardXFX 8800GTS 640 mb 169.04 Drivers2 74gig WD 10,000 rpm Raptors Raid 0Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower PsuAcer 22" Widescreen LCD

You're welcome! :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest Dazzlercee_3

Great tip which works great. It also seems that any seetings changes made are restricted to whichever cfg file you are running at the time.I like to run with a LOD_RADIUS of 9. Works fine in DX9 mode and gets rid of the blurries. However this setting brings DX10 mode to it's knees. I can now have this set differently for both modes.Thanks.

Guest akashic flying

Fantastic David! Thanks so much. Works a treat! Bravo!

Whats wrong with DX10 bloom? I can't use the FS9 bloom at all... I get a white out on the whole screen when I am looing at a light source. Pre Acceleration I used to have that problem only when my visibility was set less than 10 miles or so.. Now, I have this problem at all time.I have the 8800GTXManny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

" I can't use the FS9 bloom at all... "Lol! and FS98's one, even worse!! :-)Yes there is something wrong with the new bloom effect.Look at this white halo.It might be a driver issue as wellhttp://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6094/2007...53531372ck6.jpg

Best regards,
David Roch

Guest Dazzlercee_2

To my eyes that is more of a BLOOM effect than that seen in DX9.I agree that the DX9 effect is more pleasing on the eye but in the context of the word 'bloom' I think the DX10 method is a more accurate representation.

If you want to make changes to FSX.cfg (like adding Buffer Pool line or modifying TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT etc...), be aware that you have to do that on the DX9 or DX10.cfg within FSX main folder and NOT on the original FSX.cfg which is now useless!!

Best regards,
David Roch

Guest Danko

Here is another tip that I have discovered.If you copy your fsx.exe file and name it DX10.exe. Run it. You will notice that application is started like you are running fsx for the first time.Thats because fsx is creating its configuration based on the name of the exe file. So you will find in your cfg location fsx.cfg AND DX10.cfg.This way you can have as many configurations as you like, and you just put shortcuts to right executable.Of course, whith this method you must take care of nVidia driver profiles. If you use nHancer just duplicate FSX profile and change executable. This way you can have diferent driver config too.Hope someone will find use of this.

DavidPlease would you clarify this. I don't have a .cfg file for dx9/10 within my main FSX folder. I must be mis-understanding your comment.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Hi Howard,This advise is only for the guys that have installed the "switch" DX9/DX10 as explained in this thread

Best regards,
David Roch

Hi David,

It appears that part of this post was lost in the AVSIM attack. Could I trouble you to repost your quick switch instructions? It's been so long since I even looked at doing it I can't remember what to do.

Thanks,

Easy and fun!

Takes 2 minutes and saves hours :--)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

WHY A "SWITCH"?

I love the "DX10 Preview" water but I don't like the DX10 bloom effect...

So when I fly my ol' Goose in Alaska's lakes I want the DX10 Preview to be ON and if I fly the LDS767-300 or the PMDG 747-400X I want to see the nice DX9 bloom effect on the cabin so the DX10 Preview must be OFF.

But I first have to launch the sim, check or uncheck the DX10 thingy and reload the sim. Same thing when I want to compare performances or try different drivers.

And I am a lazy person. So...

Here is what I have done and what you can do if you are lazy as well, and if you are running Vista and have a DX10 compatible card.

HOW TO MAKE A QUICK AND EASY "SWITCH"

I call this a "switch" but actually you will create 2 different FSX icons, one that will launch FSX with DX9 and an other one that will launch FSX with DX10 preview enabled.

1) Backup your FSX.cfg

2) On your desktop, create 2 new folders: DX9 and DX10.

3) Load FSX, check DX10 Preview and shut down the sim

(Your FSX.cfg is now

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Maybe that :

1) Backup your FSX.cfg

2) On your desktop, create 2 new folders : DX9 and DX10

3) Load FSX, check DX10 Preview and shut down the sim

(Your FSX.cfg is now "specific" to DX10, ok ?)

4) Copy now your FSX.cfg into the DX10 folder on your desktop

5) Rename it DX10.cfg

6) Load FSX, uncheck DX10 Preview and shut down the sim

(Your FSX.cfg is now "specific" to DX9)

7) Copy now this FSX.cfg into the DX9 folder

8) Rename it DX9.cfg

9) Now, take these 2 cfg files from the folders on your desktop and move them into your main FSX directory (yes the MAIN directory !)

You can now delete the 2 empty folders we have created one minute ago

10) On your desktop, right click and select "NEW SHORTCUT"

11) Browse to find FSX.exe

12) At the end of the line \fsx.exe" add a SPACE and write :

/cfg:DX9

(you will get something like .../Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe" /cfg:DX9)

13) Click Next, name the shortcut DX9 and you are done

14) Do the same for DX10

(you will obtain something like .../Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe" /cfg:DX10)

Before you fly just click the icon that will match your next flight.

That's all.

Enjoy !

IMPORTANT :

The only difference between both the files is D3D10=1 or D3D10=0 in the GRAPHIC section. But if you want, you can also change other parameters to match your taste and needs, for each one of the CFGs.

GTX 1660 Ti

Thank you, that was very helpful. :Applause:

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888