Sign in to follow this  
michal

speed feels a little too slow on landing

Guest davewins

to me it seems as if the speed is a little too slow on landing. It's either that or the braking is too fast. It seems like I can stop the plane in no time after landing and it just seems too slow. I would just like a greater sense of speed when landing on the runway and coming to a stop. Especially in a jet where it really looks like you are just floating down to the runway but once the wheels touch down you can really feel the speed.

Next time you are driving down a highway at 70-75 mph check the following:At 70 mph you are going about the initial landing speed of a c172/archer etc (in the flare you will be going even slower). As you look ahead-notice how the viewpoint looks rather slow. Now turn your head to the side-and notice that your sense of speed is much greater.I find the speed looks about right in the sim-and just like above-use a side view of the plane on landing and the speed will feel faster. As an interesting sidenote-my wife has travelled extensively with me in small planes-however since I switched to a twin she has only sat in the back seat. She keeps complaining to me that she feels like we always land too fast in the twin. Now the landing speed is 10 knts. faster than my single used to be-but it is primarily because she is now looking out the side window instead of the front one!In my case-whenever I travel commercially-I always feel like we are coming in way too fast-as I am looking out the sidewindow!Also realize-the winds (and your groundspeed) will have a great deal to do with your sensation. If you have a 30 knt. wind against you, you will feel like you are crawling...http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Try landing with tail wind!:)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest JIMJAM

Yes landing a plane on a runway long enough for the Space Shuttle gives the illusion of endless concrete ahead.Now go to a shorter runway.Shorter runway = higher blood pressure.Thats the allure of Bush Flying.Also, since we do not pay for burning up brakes,nose gear and having passengers that refuse top ever fly with you again, you tend to STAND on the brakes ALOT harder than in real life.

Guest JIMJAM

Wish I could find it but there is a vid....Looks like a Maule or cub with HUGE tires.He skims the river water and right before the plane starts to sink,slides up onto a rocky river beach.Real world.

Guest S77th-GOYA

The feeling of speed is often difficult to achieve in a sim. Zooming out does help though. An array of several monitors that includes peripheral vision would help too. It's just more expensive than zooming out. :)I assume this is what you mean rather than the flight model having too low a stall speed?

Maybe, but follow the suggestions given hereAs a real world example...When I soloed in the Piper Warrior III, my stall speed was just near 35kts....pretty slow hehe Granted, I weighed about 130lbs with no baggage except my flight bag....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

When I learned to fly in a warrior, I was shocked at how slow the approach speed seemed. At times it felt like it would take forever to get to the runway. There are few reasons for it, first you ARE going slower, second you are looking ahead and are far from reference points, third you are flying into the wind. Forth, you have no peripheral vision in the sim to get the sensation of speed during roll out. In fact, If you fly using a triple monitor setup, you will feel the speed more.

Guest Vilk

retracting flaps after touchdown could give you a couple of yards ;-)

You can always try landing at full throttle and no flaps. :-p

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

>Yes, there is simply no substitute for 180

Dave Taylor gb.png

Hi Dave- I dunno- GeForce FX5200 video cards and old CRTs are pretty cheap around here! Actually giveaways! That's what I use.And they need no head motion- just glance out of the corner of your eyes to the 48" wide panorama & ALL the panels/popups. Cheers Alex Reid CYYJ on the British Columbia Riviera !