Sign in to follow this  
Guest dswo

Can I eliminate Tower & Aircraft Views?

Hi George,short answer: add the the "CycleHidden=Yes" to EVERY CAMERA DEF' you don't want to see and leave only the default VC and SPOT without it.If you disable, by your preferred method, all cameras except spot and VC then you will in fact, toggle only between these two cameras with the "S" key or a button mapped to do the same thing.All default views - those not found in the aircraft config file - are in the cameras.cfg file, as you found.Default views in the Cameras.cfg consist of:COCKPIT views - 2D and VCOUTSIDE views - spot, locked spot, flyby and top-downTOWER views, AIRTRAFFIC view, MULTIPLAYER view, RUNWAY viewsand I indicated them in UPPERCASE to emphasize that these are the CATAGORY namesAIRCRAFT catagory views are the Left wing, Right wing, Tail and/or undercarriage and all extra inside views such as right seat, instruments, rear seat, etc are additional COCKPIT views customized for each aircraft and are found in EACH aircraft.cfg.In every case, (as illustrated in the cameras.cfg) if that camera definition contains the line "CycleHidden=Yes" then you CAN NOT select that view by cycling through the buttons. The camera still exists and can be reached by hotkey or menu but not the buttons... or so the SDK says of the function of that line.Note, the default OUTSIDE views always face the user aircraft. The additional unique AIRCRAFT views can be positioned anywhere and look in any direction. Now, the default setting on my stick was for button 2 to cycle views; This is equivalent to pressing the "S" key. BUT "S" key cycles only between CATAGORIES. I would think you could set any button to be equivalent to either the "S" or "A" key. If I only had two reachable views like SPOT and LOCKED SPOT, then the 'S' key wouldn't do anything for me because these views are in the same catagory; only the 'A' key would do anything. If I had a single AIRCRAFT view and a single OUTSIDE view, then only the "S" key would do anything -- switch between these two catagories. You can change the catagory name in a camera definition to make things group differently if you want but still, so long as there is more than one catagory name, then the "S" will rotate between them - whenever there is more than one view within a catagory, the "A" will rotate between them.I hope this clarifies well enough to get you where you want to be, if not, you can email me back and we can dig into it again. Hopefully, you don't have to edit a whole bunch of aircraft config files; regardless, be sure to back them up first!Loyd

Loyd, Thank you for your detailed reply. I went back and used your "CycleHidden=Yes" on the Cameras.cfg and then did the same for the Aircraft views on the 172 aircraft.cfg and everything worked as I wanted. Now with just pressing 1 button I can cycle back and forth between cockpit and spot views. I thought that I had tried this except for remmimg the views out instead of using "CycleHidden=Yes", but I must have missed the aircraft views from within the aircraft.cfg.I will have to modify each aircraft.cfg but actually I

Good idea.. I need to do the sammething.Here is an opportunity for addon vendors to build tools like this. To manage sceneries....to manage aircrafts and views etcI need to hide a bunch of paint jobs when selecting aircrafts. Too many pains that I don't want get listed, crowding the page. Its either 1 aircraft are all aicrafts for that model. I don't want to delete them frm the aircraft.cfg file either.. I just want to suppress them for the moment.And the views too.. Too many views that I don't need... would like to cut it down to a 2 or three that I need for each aircraft.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest slydon

Well I don't know what you use for control but I have ch yoke and pedals. On my ch yoke on the left side is a rocker switch. I just programed that to cycle forward and the other end to cycle in reverse. Then a button beside it for A. That way I have all the views in any order that I want them. Hope this helps.

Hi Manny,There may be a utility that does what you want with the many texture sets but I've done it a few time "manually".So now maybe another "secret" is about to be let out...Rarely do I fly an aircraft long without editing the cfg file. So I almost ALWAYS start by making an initial backup - even before I know for sure that I'll even keep it.Technique: ( .cfg files default to notepad)1. open aircraft.cfg2. save as orig_aircraft.cfgDang! this thing has 10 repaints!3. open aircraft.cfg (this is the only one the sim sees, remember)4. cut out unwanted versions of aircraft. RENUMBER remaining.5. save as favorites.cfg6. open favorites.cfg save as aircraft.cfg, fly favorite 47. get bored8. open orig_aircraft.cfg save as aircraft.cfg, fly all.9. terminally dissatisfied10. open orig_aircraft.cfg cut out different set of A/C11. save as favorites2.cfg12. repeat until fed up and A/C removedThis switching of cfg files can be done while flying! just reload aircraft - I have CTRL-F11 set to this assignment ( and CTRL-F12 set for scenery reload) it does speed up the process.Using multiple config files is not just for paintjobs; I'm tweaking the Ducati performance and I have several cfg's that save the incremental changes; if I mess it up, I just reload the previous saved version and start the last series of changes over again... did the same with smoke effects while I was experimenting last night. Could an all-purpose config manager meet all these needs?Loyd

Thanks Loyd.Great idea.. I am starting to do something like that. It is a little tedious to do it manually. thats why I mentioned its a great opportunity to build a tool.:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest dswo

Thank you, Loyd, for taking the time to write this out. I'll be using this as well.