Sign in to follow this  
Guest jprintz

FSX Acceleration F18 flaps

How are the flaps supposed to work on the Acceleration F18?Are they supposed to extend all the way when I call for full flaps?The reason I

Guest JIMJAM

Simular to the f-16, the 18 has alot of automated systems including the flaps/slats. These can be overridden and used manually. I would be surprised if this is possible but seeing there is no manual for the plane, Im not sure.Just as you want to throw out the flaps to slow it down, in real life they are ripped off the plane.Thus the idiot proofing.

Guest jprintz

There's nothing wrong with using the anticipated drag from extended flaps as a tool in planning your airspeed, descent profile, etc.... Of course you should just be careful about not having them extended above their max airspeed. Yes, the FSX Acceleration F/A-18 does not slow properly, and has an amazing amount of excess energy even with cut throttles. This is one of my only complaints about the plane. (Love it overall!) If you want full manual control of the flaps, go into your aircraft.cfg and change "maneuvering_flaps=1" to "maneuvering_flaps=0". I've done this with no problem. I was afraid it would mess with something else, but the law of unintended consequences has so far been pretty tame.

IIRC in the F/A-18 Flaps will not extend until airspeed is below 245 kts. Also gear and Flaps automaticlly retrace at a certain airspeed to protect the airframe. Many of the systems in the F/A-18 and F-16 are pilot proof. The C/D and E/F versions have G limiters, just as the F-16 has a CAT I/III switch. In both cases the ammount of G's the pilot can inflict on the airframe is limited by the FBW system. You simply cannot "just rip the wings off the aircraft."The posts in this forum regarding this aircrat are interesting. You can tell who has been flying Mil sims and who hasn't. Didn't take me long to figure out how to tweak the F-18 for a trap. (hint, no speedbrake, ride the ATO, and call the ball. )It's still not JF-18 but it's way way better than Flightdeck. This is the first modern fast jet that has been acceptable in FS. Pretty much all the other HUDs and pits have been unrealistic crap till now. Older "steam gauge" fighters have been OK.

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

It might not be as real as it gets, but that is what I was looking for.Flaps work great now, Thank you!!

Guest jprintz

Agreed. Except that I don't think that the Acceleration F/A-18's HUD is realistic at all. I LOVE the new Hornet avionics in general... brilliant work. And I'm really pleased with the value from this addon package. But the HUD is my one real disappointment. There's no AoA Bracket, first of all, even though it provides what is easily one of the top 3 most critical pieces of info in the carrier pattern. And probably most importantly, the ladder and velocity vector are not even close to being accurate, they're not scaled to the scenery, and the vector can at times even be on or above the HUD horizon when the plane is losing altitude.... i.e., they're not calibrated to one another. And that's pretty critical. (See the attached screen for a quick example of the disparity between VSI and the velocity vector. I've seen much larger ones.) If this kind of disparity crept in in real life, the HUD data would be ignored, it would be considered a minor emergency, and the pilot would be doing a straight-in approach to the carrier. I love the way carrier landings can be conducted now, with a good meatball and a moving ship. It can be very realistic. With an improved HUD, and with FSX's much better flight modeling and fidelity, the flying portion of the carrier landing can be far more convincing than anything else ever mass produced for a PC. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/179992.jpg