Sign in to follow this  
GoranM

X-Plane just keeps getting better and better!

15 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

FG

Fantastic Graphics? Already in there!

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

1 hour ago, blingthinger said:

Fantastic Graphics? Already in there!

Frame generation or an alternative. Graphics are fantastic yes, other than the ground scenery. Once these two things are addressed, I would use this one more than the other one... 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

6 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Frame generation

Here's the big reason why this isn't as big of a deal as the vendors keep making it: in order for fake frames to look good, it requires high FPS already. You need 60+ before artifacts really go away. 60 FPS is tons. Steady 60 FPS is also a bit of a self-own by XP at the moment because most folks can't get there (yet). It doesn't help VR because VR already has it via async reprojection. If it happens to appear in the future as a byproduct of current efforts, great. I'm glad fake frames hasn't made it in yet.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

6 hours ago, blingthinger said:

in order for fake frames to look good, it requires high FPS already. You need 60+ before artifacts really go away. 60 FPS is tons.

Absolutely not true. FG is a life-saver in scenarios where I would have less than 30 fps.

Taking off from EGLL, EDDF or KJFK with tons of AI traffic is much more enjoyable in MSFS compared to XP precisely because of FG. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

38 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

Every review I've seen of it very clearly shows and complains about artifacting below 60. Maybe that's less of a problem with a relatively low-action, low-detail title as a flight sim?

Yes it is. Only artifacts that I see are in the engines. The flight-deck experience is pretty much flawless.

• Like 3

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

8 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Absolutely not true. FG is a life-saver in scenarios where I would have less than 30 fps.

Taking off from EGLL, EDDF or KJFK with tons of AI traffic is much more enjoyable in MSFS compared to XP precisely because of FG. 

I agree. FG makes a huge difference, even if the FPS is low in the 30 FPS range. It's badly needed in XP 12.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GCBraun said:

Only artifacts that I see are in the engines

So there are artifacts. That's an interesting case study for when it fails: fast rotation of a very simple geometry pattern.

I won't be surprised if it makes it into the sim at some point in the future.

But I also think there's a good reason why it might not be a priority. With an algorithm like FG, visual glitches are non-deterministic. You don't have full control over when they might appear. That's not an option for the pro market, particularly the levelD world. LR's first focus is pure (non fake) render at high FPS that isn't going to have even the slightest chance of glitching like FG is known to do.

Don't get me wrong. I fully respect the tech and wizardry that conjure these tricks up. It's very interesting to read about what makes FG tick. And maybe I'm wrong and LR has simply chosen to remain totally silent. They've declared TAA will be there. FG isn't too far away from that and maybe they've ironed out all the rendering kinks.

• Like 1

Um well first time I have actually seen this - jet eflux heat and smoke out of exhaust pipes on the L188.  Neat touch of realism.

dI1MBAl.jpg

And lose an engine get then get smoke in cockpit (extinguishers did not solve the problem)- so this is what it XP throws at you!

dIVB5Sr.jpg

And it was all going so nicely!

sICOTrj.jpg

Edited by coastaldriver
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, coastaldriver said:

And lose an engine get then get smoke in cockpit (extinguishers did not solve the problem)- so this is what it XP throws at you!

IIRC, if the aircraft has opening windows, the smoke will disspate. I haven't found any alternate technique to that other than resetting the dataref though.

Edited by Bjoern

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I just came across this post.

@Ianrivaldosmith @GCBraun 

This seems like a pretty serious bug to have with FG, and I'm one who would almost definitely turn it off or disable it if this was the case.

Genuinely interested in any thoughts either or both of you have.

11 minutes ago, GoranM said:

This seems like a pretty serious bug to have with FG, and I'm one who would almost definitely turn it off or disable it if this was the case.

This issue is not related to FG, but rather to Asobo’s DX12 implementation.

I have experienced this, but there are known workarounds to either get the textures back, or to not have them disappear at all in the first place. 

2 hours ago, GoranM said:

As said, that's not an FG issue. Frame generation won't cause specific issues within a game or simulator itself, it's merely an interpolated frame.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

13 hours ago, GCBraun said:

This issue is not related to FG, but rather to Asobo’s DX12 implementation.

I have experienced this, but there are known workarounds to either get the textures back, or to not have them disappear at all in the first place. 

11 hours ago, Sethos said:

As said, that's not an FG issue. Frame generation won't cause specific issues within a game or simulator itself, it's merely an interpolated frame.

No, I get it.  The scenery problems are a result of how DX12 works with FG.  But from my understanding, with FG off, DX12 running, the scenery will have no problems.  

Still not ideal, but I guess with workarounds, it can work.  

I think I'm more excited for the release of 12.1 then I have been of any previous release going back to when I started with XP10...even with the release of XP12 itself.  If they address the MSAA and all the other visual goodies in the 12.1 preview notes, and with all the underlying flight dynamics and excellent aircraft we already have, this has the potential to be an absolutely epic experience.

• Upvote 3

Ryan