Sign in to follow this  
polosim

SimWorks Studios Pilatus PC-12 released

18 hours ago, JYW said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm flying sideways 😄 

1 hour ago, pinepix62 said:

even with no wind the plane was sliding / yawing all over the place on finals approach.

It doesn't fly like a real airplane on a handflown approach. It took some effort over on their discord to prove that something is wrong and a pilot with some irl PC-12 time to chime in and confirm a "screwy" yaw behaviour, but it is acknowledged. Fixes didn't make it into ver 1.1.0 though, as to my understanding there are several areas to be worked on, and it will need quite some testing to keep the balance with the otherwise imho very convincing behaviour of the flight model. I expect some significant improvements when they are back from their holidays in January.

3 minutes ago, regis9 said:

This one seems to be polarizing, some seem to be having a great time with it, and others still have a lot of issues even after several patches.

I usually tend to buy airplanes later in their development process, and the experience with the PC-12 makes me think about going back to that habit. On the other hand doing some flight testing was an interesting change in sim routine, and I deem SWS a developer worth of support. Having issued several patches in a short period of time shows dedication and the willingness to get it right. If you're on the fence, I'd wait until the next patch, then it should be good to go and well worth the money.

• Like 3

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

50 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

I expect some significant improvements when they are back from their holidays in January.

I trust that you are right. I like the Kodiak and thought that that would have been a good learning experience for the developer and based on that I was looking forward to the PC-12. Will have to wait I guess

I flew 12 circuits with the Comanche just now to confirm that I can still do some good cross wind landings. 😄

• Like 1

Johan Pienaar

1 hour ago, Tom_L said:

It took some effort over on their discord to prove that something is wrong and a pilot with some irl PC-12 time to chime in and confirm a "screwy" yaw behaviour, but it is acknowledged.

Just to clarify this, there is method to the madness. 🙂

The reason it takes time to acknowledge a problem has to do with bias and testing.

Bias means that we are "used" to the quirks of the plane and can't see the problem, while a customer is not used to them and may see an issue where there is none. You must follow procedure, then see where it is good and where it isn't to be able to narrow it down. We also need to probe you in order to get ourselves over our bias and see the problem. This takes time and always happens when you've worked for so long on a plane.

Then comes testing. We take both sides and throw them to the SMEs to try and distill the actual truth. Finally we consider how to fix it and what will bite us if we move something else. It is slow, but helps avoid more mistakes down the road.

• Like 5

This is very disappointing.  I was sooo looking forward to getting this airplane.  I'll keep flying their Kodiak with no reservation though!  

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

Despite all problem with yaw I still love PC-12. Even with all quirks it reminds me flying real airplane more than for example FSR500 (which I also like).

Yes I think some  yaw effects are overdone still if you have basic stick and rudder skill it's not that bad. For those who fly sideway step on the ball you will be surprised!

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

They way I see it, it's already a fantastic aircraft addon in so many areas.  I do certainly feel - like others - that the behaviour on approach and finals feels very odd.    But the devs (as we can see on this thread) are responsive, listening and improving.  It will only get better and, for me, has the potential to be one the best planes in the hangar.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

I can live with waiting on fine tuning the handling, as I have no problems with controlling it at all. What I really dislike is the engine characteristics. In comparison to the turboprops in XP12, (which are perfectly modeled), the black square king air comes the closest. I haven’t flown the piper M500 which I hear is very good. Without accurate throttle response, beta and reverse, it just breaks the immersion- but other than that, an excellent plane.

3 hours ago, steves53 said:

. What I really dislike is the engine characteristics. 

Do you have turbine time IRL? If so I curious to hear what is wrong with SWS PC-12. I talked to  the guy who SWS used as consultant ( he is PC-12 pilot) on discord he assured it almost like real airplane.

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

No PIC time on a PT6 turbine, no, just going by the other highly regarded models in XP11, that I’ve been flying for a few years now, TBM850, Kodiak, King Air 350, and MU-2. So as far as the lag feeling extreme, I can’t say how real it is, but beta and reverse don’t seem to exist at all. I haven’t flown the SWS Kodiak in a long time but I thought reverse works on that. Maybe it’s Asobo’s problem? I know there are still quite a few of them.

There's a heck of a lot of liveries already for this so I'm assuming it did pretty well!

They've addressed some of the bugs already and are hard at work ironing out a few more.  

It's shaping up to be a real quality addon!

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 12/23/2023 at 8:27 AM, Tom_L said:

I'd wait until the next patch, then it should be good to go and well worth the money

Thanks for that info. I'd like to pick it up but will wait now until they have a chance to look at things again. Hard to tell sometimes whether a new release is bug-free with all the instant reactions flying back and forth 😄

ASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE Z270, i7-7700K OC@4.8, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, VKBSim Gladiator joystick, CH Pro pedals, Razer Orbweaver Chroma Gaming Keypad, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (main drive/sim drive), WD Black 1TB HDD

10 hours ago, steves53 said:

I haven’t flown the SWS Kodiak in a long time but I thought reverse works on that.

It does (works great actually). If reverse isn't available at all in the SWS PC-12 maybe it's coming in an update? If it should be there (haven't read their docs) it might be a control binding issue.

There's a good walkthrough in this clip on using reverse. Sounds like it's not used all that often in the real aircraft:

ASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE Z270, i7-7700K OC@4.8, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, VKBSim Gladiator joystick, CH Pro pedals, Razer Orbweaver Chroma Gaming Keypad, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (main drive/sim drive), WD Black 1TB HDD

11 hours ago, steves53 said:

reverse don’t seem to exist at all

Reverse works.

Flew in it an hour ago and definitely had reverse on landing.

I have it set up as a button on my Saitek Throttle Quad.  It's assigned in MSFS to DECREASE_THROTTLE.

Edited by JYW

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Reverse works very well. I use the thrustmaster airbus thrust levers and 0 to 100 percent in the control settings. 

18 minutes ago, JYW said:

Reverse works.

Flew in it an hour ago and definitely had reverse on landing.

I have it set up as a button on my Saitek Throttle Quad.  It's assigned in MSFS to DECREASE_THROTTLE.

Reverse works for me too, using Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant

• Like 1