Sign in to follow this  
Guest slydon

FSX startup time

Running vista premium with 1 gig ram. FSX takes forever to load. Will upgrading to 2 gigs ram make fsx start up any faster? I find vista to be slow at start up and resuming. Seems the hard drive is always busy. Is it worth it to upgrade my ram?Thx

Guest slydon

I have 2.5 gig and it is very slow loading. I don't know how slow you mean but mine will take on average 1-2 minutes to load.

Guest n99wb

"Running vista premium with 1 gig ram. FSX takes forever to load. Will upgrading to 2 gigs ram make fsx start up any faster?"I can not imagine running Vista on less than 2 gigs of RAM. That must be painful.

>"Running vista premium with 1 gig ram. FSX takes forever to>load. Will upgrading to 2 gigs ram make fsx start up any>faster?">>I can not imagine running Vista on less than 2 gigs of RAM. >That must be painful.>>Yes it is painful. Personally I hate vista and would go back to XP if I could. FSX takes 2 minutes to get to the main screen and another 2 minutes to load a flight. Of course when you are sitting there waiting for it to load it seems longer. Is it worth it for me to spend $75 for 2 gigs of ram, more then the software costs, to maybe save a minute loading time? Some how I doubt it. I wonder if it takes this long to load in XP. I long for the days of XP and fs9.

Yes, I believe you should add more RAM.You will be astonished how much more you will like Vista.Vista alone needs more RAM then XP, just like XP needed more RAM then windows98, etc. Nothing new here.Jan

Guest DiNozzo

Hi,As others have recommended, adding RAM can only help. Also, make you that you defrag your hard drive. I am using the 30-day trial version of Perfect Disk 8.0, and the FSX files were heavily fragmented. In fact, most of the fragmentation was due to th einstallation of FSX. At the end of the defrag, you get a report detailing which files were the most fragmented.Hope it helps.Dell XPS 410Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.66GHz3.0GB RAMnVidia GEForce 8800 GTXVista 32-bit

Yes for sure go to 2gb, that will help a lot in all-around performance in Vista.To give you some sense of perspective, on my system:7200 rpm drive FSX flight load time = 65sec10000 rpm drive FSX flight load time = 53 secAnd I have 2 gb ram in XP and a 3700+ cpu running at 2.585 ghz.The load time varies depending on where you are going to fly, too. It takes a little longer to load a flight at Heathrow than it does at a small strip in rural Mississippi. In my test, above, that is at Heathrow with sliders turned up pretty high (my FSX benchmark torture test flight).RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Daniel42

AI Packages like MyTraffix also greatly increase the load time of FSX as all Aircraft and all paints are parsed.Daniel

Guest slydon

I am running xp and just ran a time check to load fsx. It took 2min 15 sec right to ready. This is probably not much different than vista. I am running completely defaultGateway fx 400 windows xp 2.5 ram dual core