Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

XP for RW Trainning....

Recommended Posts

Thanks jcomm for showing us these videos. That's the difference between a real (good) flight simulator and a fine weather simulator.

RW pilots don't train "normal procedures" in "real (or fine) weather", as that's what they do in their daily routine, so no training in a simulator required. It's the emergencies what they train in a simulator - even level D (go figure 😄). That's the purpose of simulators, to train situations which are way too expensive or dangerous in real life.

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well I would rather say "good for screenshots" game (I would rather use (fine weather) simulator sparingly, because not even the “good” weather is represented “correctly” anymore! 😀), but please no discussion now, we had enough of them, that shouldn't be the topic and of course I don't want to take the fun away from anyone and and I don't want to tell anyone about it (what to do), everyone as (s)he likes of course - for MY PART I am completely back to XP12 (with the new updates, although also invested a lot in the MSFS) - initially positive, but if after 3 years you don't even manage to add turbulences in the clouds or rw values for the visibility but everything else is "amazing" : -) then I know where the journey is going...

Edited by AUA425
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jcomm said:

and... 

It only reminds you as to why having things done correctly in the sim that allows you to replicate what is done in real life and not have to 2nd guess and worry if even the sim is correct or not. Great video!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2023 at 8:07 PM, AUA425 said:

well I would rather say "good for screenshots" game (I would rather use (fine weather) simulator sparingly, because not even the “good” weather is represented “correctly” anymore! 😀), but please no discussion now, we had enough of them, that shouldn't be the topic and of course I don't want to take the fun away from anyone and and I don't want to tell anyone about it (what to do), everyone as (s)he likes of course - for MY PART I am completely back to XP12 (with the new updates, although also invested a lot in the MSFS) - initially positive, but if after 3 years you don't even manage to add turbulences in the clouds or rw values for the visibility but everything else is "amazing" : -) then I know where the journey is going...

Good to know that people with a deep understanding of flight simulation are coming back to X-Plane 😉
I remember you from back in XP10-times, when the cloud shadows which we were used to in XP 8 and 9 (possibly even earlier), weren't visible any more or only very faint. I was myself searching for a way to bring them back and searched for a way, however in the datarefs, from which I knew they can change the behavior of the sim. But that was the wrong place to search ... you found it in the art controls. Based on that several lua-scripts came up to influence the darkness of the shadows.
So, welcome back to X-Plane 😉👏.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Uwe - Thank you - yes the clouds shadow DataRefs :-), almost forgot about it! Yes, I wasn't really away, but since I was in the Alpha (MSFS) and the weather presentation and features convinced me at the beginning, I had changed all the hardware. But now I have to admit that the last X-Plane updates are getting better and better and especially the weather has become much better (of course with some "bugs" that will hopefully be less with 12.10) and with the new system the performance is so good that I am 100% back to using XP. (Apart from the flight model, simulation depth in general etc., of course, we don't need to talk about that)

Nice Greetings 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oof, I feel bad for the student for which the first video was based. That seems more likely a case of “checkride nerves” vs any G1000 gotcha. I’m sure his instructor emphasized the importance of tuning and identifying the navigation source during training, but the identify step can be overlooked easily in a high workload and stress environment. You look down and see “green needles” pointing in the general direction of the approach and forget to glance up to the identifier. Hard lesson to learn on a checkride but one I bet the student never forgets again!

  • Like 1

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2023 at 3:30 AM, flying_carpet said:

Thanks jcomm for showing us these videos. That's the difference between a real (good) flight simulator and a fine weather simulator.

RW pilots don't train "normal procedures" in "real (or fine) weather", as that's what they do in their daily routine, so no training in a simulator required. It's the emergencies what they train in a simulator - even level D (go figure 😄). That's the purpose of simulators, to train situations which are way too expensive or dangerous in real life.

LPC, OPCs, LOE’s are not that linear I’m afraid, then you have acquired learning skills which throws a new dimension to sims and training

 

From working in training delivery for over 10 years, for a well known legacy airline we would of never entertained using xplane for any groundschool training.

maybe some flying schools might, airlines no.

 

Edited by fluffyflops

 
 
 
 
14ppkc-6.png
  913456

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

From working in training delivery for over 10 years, for a well known legacy airline we would of never entertained using xplane for any groundschool training.

The Saab was used by 4 airlines for their ground school training when it was released.  2 of them were Aloha Airlines and Northwest.  The other 2 preferred to remain nameless.  We were also asked by Saab Fairchild to send them a license for their own use.

The CL650 is being used by several private business jet corporations.

Buffalo Airlines have used FSX to test their DC3 pilots.  There was an episode of Ice Pilots showing this.

Bridger Aerospace are using X-Plane 12 to train their helicopter pilots in fire fighting.

Beta Technologies have used X-Plane 12 to design an electric VTOL aircraft.

They're out there.  And they do use commercially available software.

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm aware people use commercially available software , that was the whole point of p3d.

My point is that big airlines (mine included) would stay away from xplane.

 

As I said your get some small operators and flying schools like the ones you mentioned might, legacy large carriers no.

If Austin was a bit more professional and corporate they might go for it 


 
 
 
 
14ppkc-6.png
  913456

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fluffyflops said:

I'm aware people use commercially available software , that was the whole point of p3d.

My point is that big airlines (mine included) would stay away from xplane.

 

As I said your get some small operators and flying schools like the ones you mentioned might, legacy large carriers no.

If Austin was a bit more professional and corporate they might go for it 

You forget that the "big boy simulators" at big airlines are a mere product of a supplier with a supply chain. So if the software supplier in said chain decides that something on an X-Plane basis works for them, gets their solution past the certification authorities and to the manufacturer of said simulators, the next major upgrade at any moloch with a tail logo might just as well use XP is some capacity.

Edited by Bjoern

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...