Sign in to follow this  
Guest United

What is in SP2?

Guest United

OK, I just saw the performance analysis that another poster gave of SP1 vs. SP2, I am not impressed. I did buy Acceleration and all it does is crash FSX and I cannot utilize it. Is SP2 going to be released as a separate entity? If so, just what is so special about it other than DX10/Vista stuff, which quite frankly I am avoiding Vista at least another 6 months. Windows XP Home SP2FSX SP1Nvidia 8800 GTS 163.XX4 GIGS RAMMatrox TripleHeadRandy Jura, KPDX

Guest United

Jim, I uninstalled Acceleration. It crashes FSX. Are you saying SP2 is still on my machine?Randy Jura, KPDX

Guest United

Yes, it is. Now I'm wondering if SP2 will crash FSX in December. Randy Jura, KPDX

I was wondering the very same thing. First, can some one explain what will SP2 do for Vista users. Will we expect a dramatic increase in performance? When will it be out? I hear so much about it, it seems so many people got it, but I feel left in the dark. Can someone be kind to explain this? I am sure I am not the only one looking for this answer.

Paul Gugliotta

But you didn't tell us why it's being 'held back' until December?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Hi Phil and thanks for answering so quickly.I have read both url's you sent me but am still confused as to the content of SP2 alledgedly contained within 'Acceleration'?You state that SP2 has gone out to beta so, what is the SP2 within Acceleration?Is it defective or, is the beta SP2 an improved 'SP2' to be ready for download before Xmas?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest deadly

Acceleration "includes" SP2.If the latest effort involves "separating" the DX10 graphics "update" and Acceleration content, it could be termed a separate "SP2" download.If a single change is added to fix some of the problems then it is not "SP2". That code would be different to the "SP2" in Acceleration! It would be like releasing another version of flight simulator now and calling it FSX! Not possible.

It is really very simple.Acceleration has SP2 built-in to it.SP2 will also be available separately; with the features I mention and without the new planes, missions, scenery areas, or sim features that are the meat of Acceleration. It is the same SP2 as contained in Acceleration. Noting more, nothing lessAny separate product has to validate the build. In the case of SP2, we also have to validate the same set of fixes are indeed in the build. And we need to validate the setup for SP2, which is completely different than the one on DVD. And there are 8 separate languages to validate. There is actually quite a lot of work to accomplish. That is why reaching SP2 beta is an important milestone.Nothing happens by magic.

>It is really very simple.---------------------------------1.Maybe for you to understand but not for the majority of us simmers who were born way before computers were even dreamt of.........----------------------------------------------->>Acceleration has SP2 built-in to it.----------------------------------------------2. So, I'm assuming that the only section that works with SP2 is, Acceleration and the missions and aircraft contained therein?-----------------------------------------------------------------. It is the>same SP2 as contained in Acceleration. Nothing more, nothing>less-------------------------------------------------------------3. So, why did you not individulize it before you released Acceleration? Was it not to become available unless, we bought Acceleration?-------------------------------------------------------------->>Any separate product has to validate the build. In the case of>SP2, we also have to validate the same set of fixes are indeed>in the build. And we need to validate the setup for SP2, which>is completely different than the one on DVD.---------------------------------------------------------------4. You have just stated that it is the same previously, I'm very confused now.---------------------------------------------------------------- And there are 8>separate languages to validate. There is actually quite a lot>of work to accomplish.---------------------------------------------------------------5. For what, is Acceleration not available to everyone?------------------------------------------------------------- That is why reaching SP2 beta is an>important milestone.>>Nothing happens by magic.--------------------------------------------------------------6. No one would expect that would they? I just fail to understand the logic apart from a marketing ploy to force everyone interested in having SP2 as soon as possible?Phil, thanking you in advance for your answers.

Dave Taylor gb.png

I fail to understand why when I try to talk about product team "stuff" elements of the community continue to treat it as "propaganda" ( direct quote from another thread ) and "a marketing ploy". (direct quote from this thread ).As that is the level of discourse in this thread, I am done with this thread.