Sign in to follow this  
Guest United

What is in SP2?

The service pack 2 fixes come already in fsx acceleration built in now Phil and his team have to build a version of sp2 without the acceleration stuff like aircraft, gauges, sounds, scenery, etc etc. And then have that tested over some systems which are also in different languages, and they also have to make sure the installer works good and detects if you have sp1 or if you don't have it so it can properly install everything, makes sense that it takes time for all this to happen.The fsx acceleration add on for fsx contains service pack 2 with service pack 1 in it also, and the dx10 preview it is not the full directx 10 its just a preview the separate service pack 2 which users will able to download and install includes fixes which are in service pack 1 and of course the fixes and updates from service pack 2 with a direct x 10 preview, It is not the full directx10 and of course it wont have all the aircraft sounds scenery from fsx acceleration nothing has changed in sp2 the fsx acceleration is the same as this sp2 that is gonna be available to all of us for download.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Guest deadly

It's surprising it can take a couple of months to release a patch for features which are already final and beta tested. If the program was designed into components you could have separate modules for the graphics engine, languages, ui, atc, flight modelling etc etc.It would be a lot simpler to handle these updates, as currently it seems like a big mess.

I will try one more time to explain, although I dont know why I bother, and hopefully no one will persist in being rude and insulting. Once per thread is enough for me.While the features may have been final, they have not been tested. So you are dead wrong there.Since SP2 as a web download is a separate product we have treated it as such. SP2 is in a separate source tree. That is really the only way to be sure about what you are developing and building. Trying to build 2 products out of 1 tree is inviting disaster.Because it is in a separate source tree, it requires a separate build process. Any separate build requires separate testing by definition.That is how the "form" of SP2, in that it is a separate product in a separate tree with a separate build process, dictates future actions. Because it is a separate product and treated as such, the bits are most decidely not "just sitting on the shelf".On to the rest of what has to happen before we can ship. Once all Acceleration languages were finalized ( and it took a couple weeks to do that after Acceleration RTM for all additional languages ), we could then turn our focus onto SP2. The single setup developer we have had to then write the setup for SP2. Without a setup, we have nothing. Then we had to validate the contents of SP2. To do this, we then had to go back thru the bug database and checkin mails and validate all fixes that should be in both trees where. And we found a couple that, in the heat of trying to finalize Acceleration, were indeed not checked in both trees.Once that process was complete, we then could kick off SP2 builds. And start the localization process for SP2, since we have a shared Loc team in geographically dispersed areas ( Dublin, Tokyo, Taiwan, Korea ) we direct that process but do not own it and have our hands tied as to how fast things progress.Once the SP2 builds got to a certain stability, we could then post an SP2 beta to validate:1) setup, 2) the required fixes are indeed in, and 3) that free flight multiplayer between SP2 and Acceleration is indeed compatible. That is all important testing and cannot be skipped.So reaching SP2 beta is an important milestone and one which justified my blogging about it to inform the community as to progress.Back-seat engineering is just as useful as back-seat driving.

I really do not know why some of the forum members come down on the Aces team like this. They have just delivered a really superb add-on, Acceleration, for one heck of a good price and they are in the process of releasing for free, the SP2 portion of this add-on.They are actively participating in these forums to help and explain where they can. They deserve some credit and thanks IMHO, instead of having us second guessing them all the time.

Bert

Could not have said it any better Bert! Mega Thanks to ACES for being involved in the community.

Guest Jimbofly

It's because some people on this forum have no life and nothing better to do than to whinge and complain.(before anyone points it out I can see the irony in my post)I personally have a lot of respect for the ACES team - thanks ACES for working tirelessly to provide such a great product!James

Geof, next time, look me up !I live on the coast, 10 minutes from that hockey stick.My local GA airfield is CAM3 which is lovingly recreated in the Victoria+ scenery. Don't take your Baron there though, the runway is neither wide nor long enough :-)

Bert

Hi Phil,I understood from the getgo why there were separate trees for the Acceleration and SP2 and why you did what you did. But it was still cool to hear the details of the steps involved.Thanks!Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest United

A superb add-on you say? And is crashes my FSX completely? That's not superb at all.Randy Jura, KPDX

I do understand that you will not be sharing my enthusiasm until you have it working properly on your system.. Lets hope that this problem gets resolved quickly.

Bert