Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

MSFS: “A Loss Of Trust From Our Player Community"

1 minute ago, threegreen said:

You people post stuff like this and wonder why others think you're just here to stir the pot.

“You people”?  

5 minutes ago, GoranM said:

“You people”?  

Batmen.

• Like 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just now, HiFlyer said:

Batmen.

No sir. There can be only one. 

2 minutes ago, GoranM said:

“You people”?  

Huh?

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Just now, threegreen said:

Huh?

You’re the one who said it. I usually cease discussions when someone refers to others as “you people”.
Have a good one. 

I bet if you all sat at a bar and discussed this like civilised human beings, you'd all get on and the beers would flow merrily.

Unfortunately another thread ruined by egos and schoolyard verbal fights, good job, well played.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

59 minutes ago, gdjak said:

Even if they had an entire backup environment ready to switch over, I don't see how they wouldn't have run into the exact same issue there. It was a configuration problem - can't fix that by throwing more machines at it.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why this is so difficult for them to grasp.....

• Like 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

5 hours ago, tonywob said:

and likely because they want everyone on the same version for the sake of their own sanity and bug reporting (understandable).

You brought up a very good point here, especially considering the size of their user base, I can totally understand why they would prefer to keep things as simple as possible. Just imagine being bombarded with complaints for an issue that already got fixed in a newer version lol.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Greazer said:

I reckon they could Quickly make up for this by posting more info regarding MSFS 2024 including screenshots and/or video.

I like the way you think 😄

30 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Unfortunately another thread ruined by egos and schoolyard verbal fights, good job, well played.

Exactly why the reputation of AVSim has turned in the wrong direction!

• Like 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

Are "you guys" aviation experts? Then you might know that many systems in planes are duplicate or triplicate. Why? To avoid a failure of the (whole) system. If one system fails, the second (or even third) takes over. And the second (or third) system are NOT configured as the first one, but often even made from different hardware, or if on the same hardware on a different OS or programmed in a different programming language to avoid the single point of failure or configuration error. Isn't it?

• Like 1

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

All this drama over a few hours of issues that were resolved?  I actually like this particular Youtuber, but this is exactly what they do - manufacture unneeded drama.  I've got a couple of decades of experience in IT and I will tell you that this will not be the last time technology lets you down.  Tech has actually gotten significantly better, but with that, expectations have risen.  I remember the days of servers being down for days at a time.  Today?  Amazon goes down for 5 minutes and it costs someone millions. 

My advice - deep breath.  When something isn't working, shut it off and walk away.  Find something else to do while it gets resolved.  This isn't making "excuses" for anything, just a guarantee that it will happen again.  Whether or not you allow it to raise your blood pressure is the only thing you control.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

So, it seems that the sporadic users of MSFS in this forum are more outraged than the so-called "hardcore" fans of the platform. Why is that? Personally, this slight delay in receiving the update has not affected my temper at all.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

5 hours ago, flying_carpet said:

So ... that's your explanation? Some magic proprietery alchemy?
Are they changing every few months the way they transmit (stream) the data from the server to the clients? That would be indeed a reason to update every few months server and client, so they both talk the same "language". So be it. However, there is still a VERY good reason to offer a "Skip this update" as I pointed out earlier and what was my starting point...

Given your posting history and even your sig (lol), your attempts at discussion around here is always suspect, but you keep quoting me... If you really don't understand why some some client/server software systems with complex back & forth interactions are maintained and developed by requiring mandatory client updates, then not sure what else you're able to grasp. For such systems, either multiple sets of services need to be maintained, to support multiple versions of clients (so there'd be multiple MSFS worlds), or they maintain one set of services and require clients to be updated to that level. You keep talking about data transmission methods/protocols and still not understanding that it's far more than that lol. If you are so keen on why MSFS requires clients to match in version/capabilities to the server-side and can't understand these simple concepts, perhaps try contacting them yourself? Or like I said before, if you have some ingenious ideas that allows different client versions of MSFS to interact with the latest server-side version of MSFS by all means do let them know.

I didn't participate in the beta phase, as I don't like to be the guinea pig. However, I have a relative seldomly used combination of hardware and software (rudder, yoke, navigational software, ...) and I'm a bit frightened it may not work after the update. So, I'm waiting for, say 2 weeks, to check the forums if there are problems with the new (forced) update. After these 2 weeks I recognize, no problems, so I do the update and it works. Fine. However, for 2 weeks I wasn't able to play with MSFS. That's the price I was willing to pay.

Huh? For the 2 weeks you didn't play the beta, you'd have been able to play with the previous version of the client lol. Here is a scenario where MS/Asobo does maintain two sets of services, one for the regular/released client versions, one for the beta. And it makes sense to do so. Another scenario where they'll be maintaining two sets of services is once v2024 releases, to also support v2020. But they've made the business and technical decision to not maintain multiple sets of services for all/various released client versions out there, as that'd be far from prudent (how many sets of services should MS/Asobo maintain in order to support users who want to stay on SU13, SU12, SU11, etc? where should they draw the line?).

Thanks for confirming my and bobcats earlier statement of the need of call it backend-/fallback-/backup-servers. The initial opinion in this thread (although not by you) was, that such thing isn't possible (or required).

Ya no one said it's not possible.. it's about the feasibility of maintaining multiple sets of services for the huge user base of MSFS (see above). Also the actual problem being discussed in this thread was about the download speed issues in getting the update for which the legacy thinking of "backup servers" is not really a solution given the Azure configuration issue/bug detailed in MS's report.

A lot of the software world is moving to the streamed and client/server paradigm, and depending on the complexity and nature of the ineractions between the server and client, and the feasibility of maintaining single vs multiple sets of services, clients will be forced to upgrade their versions. Those who don't like that paradigm will need to keep using legacy software which doesn't require such (or any) server-side interactions or forced updates ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 4

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD