Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lith1um

What exactly is light bloom in FSX, what did ACES use it for?

Guest bigean

I've read Wiki to see the definition - okI've seen FSX screenshots showing the sun bloom in DX9 and DX10 - okI've seen the reflections of sun in planes (THX Sebby) - okSo is there anything else I will notice *in FSX* when light bloom is switched on? By that I mean, *apart* from the sun bloom and plane reflections, do I see some "light bloom effects" - parking at the gate or taxiing? (i.e. terminals, fuel truck, ...)- flying low over country, lakes- flying low over cities- passing by downtown skyscrapers- approaching a big airportdoes it change the appearance of- own plane/other planes landing lights- rwy approach lights, - emissive textures- cockpit gauges- ...Would DX10 HDR significantly make a difference there? Would DX10 HDR add bloom to more items than DX9?I'd be happy if anybody with some knowledge could pick the right ones from above or add some effects I was missing ... please no guessing, I'd like to have facts rather.Thanks, Bigean

Guest bigean

Nobody knows?Ok, how about finding out by screenshots ... like here http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/index...howtopic=130213should be DX9 bloom on (?). Now, there's a picture with reflection in the cockpit and on some buildings. Is that the bloom switch? Some other of those screenies show the known bloom of sun and plane reflections ...Anybody seeing a difference between bloom and no bloom for the rest of my list? Jan, soon I give up to ask. What do you think? Anything to cheer up somebody to shed light into this?THX, Bigean

Guest bigean

Thanks SolarEagle. While there's plenty of that sort of bloom pictures, now try to add these scenes without bloom so we can directly see the difference. :-roll ;-) Would you?@Tony: The theory to be proven is that you can switch bloom on with DX10 without cutting fps. One could then say, DX10 enables Bloom for many people (for you i.e.) ...@all: Anybody seeing a difference between bloom and no bloom for the rest of my list, that is... *apart* from the blooming sun itself and apart from plane reflections of the sun, do I see some "light bloom effects" - parking at the gate or taxiing? (i.e. bloom from terminals, fuel truck, ...)- flying low over country, lakes- flying low over cities- passing by downtown skyscrapers (in the facade, windows)- approaching a big airportdoes it change the appearance of- (meanwhile ruled out by Sebby: own plane/other planes landing lights)- (meanwhile indirectly ruled out by Sebby: rwy approach lights), - emissive textures- cockpit gauges, cockpit panel- ...???Bigean

Its really more simple that you are making it out to be. With bloom you get the glare, with out bloom you do not get the glare. The glare occurs on the sun, planes and buildings. If it occurs elsewhere I have not noticed as I do not use it. Bloom = Sun Glare on planes, buildings, and the fireball in the sky.

Guest phenom

Bloom, IMO, is a little overdone, especially with ground-based lights, such as runway lighting and city lighting. I absolutely love the effect bloom has on the sun, but the regular lights need to be toned down slightly, I think.Otherwise, bloom is nice. I'm running UTX and the bloom on the elevated lights is outstanding.

I too think the bloom on runway-lights is a bit overdone. It looks like I REALLY need to clean my glasses :-) Regarding bloom fx, I recall having seen screenshots of regular autogenhouses roofs reflect sunlight when bloom is enabled. Haven't seen this myself though, my pc can't cope with bloom enabled./Magnus

Guest bigean

-->Subtopic: Bloom and Runway LightsPhenom,THERE WE GO, THANK YOU MAN! So if you switch off bloom, the runway lights look different? Now when we assume that DX10 has the more natural HDR bloom (thus less overdone) and if we assume that runway lights take benefit from HDR bloom, somebody should try: A screenshot like Phenoms picture ...1. DX9 without bloom2. DX9 with bloom3. DX10 with bloomalong with the fps.Let's see what we get.(And note: I would do it on my own, but I have a P4 GHz, GF4MX, 768 RAM ... and although FSX Demo runs quite well, I don't have all eye candy like bloom, Water 2.x ... no way to know what FSX can do)Bigean

Guest Lith1um

I'd do it, but thanks to a bad bios flash I'm grounded for the next 10 days. After 4 days on the ground I'm having flight sim withdrawl symptoms. :(I may have to install IL2 on my notebook to carry me over.