Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Carenado's Mooney M20J Released

As a Mooney owner, I was very excited to finally see a payware version of my favorite airplane :) The model is great, however I need to point our a few major flaws in the flight model; Any Mooney pilots can attest that when pulling the throttle, airspeed decay is very slow, the slick design of the Mooney really makes it difficult to slow down, and therefore must be planned way ahead. In real life, pull the throttle to 15" MP and let the plane slow down and trim accordingly. Another problem, when practicing slow flight (MCA) very little rudder input is needed whatsoever (P factor effect, etc does not seem to work well on this plane), to be sure I switched back to the default cessna, and right rudder input was definitely needed... However, on take off situation, it seems that right rudder input is required to keep the aircraft aligned with the runway centerline. This could be a FS limitation, but it seems the default Cessna seems to reproduce P factor effect better than this Mooney....Anyways, glad to see a payware Mooney on the market, I hope they can fix these few glitches.Happy landings!John

So you mean that in the Carenado Mooney the speed bleeds off too early, too much when closing the throttle?It's not important that this is not a turbocharged engine?Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Rob,Yes it bleeds off way too early... When I bought my Moonwy (transitioned from a Piper Arrow) I remember the difference entering the pattern and notice how long it took to slow the plane down. Mooneys are fun planes to fly, but really requires the pilot to be ahead at all time. You also need to fly by the numbers on final, otherwise the plane will float down the runway forever. It is less forgiving than a Cessna or Piper IMO. Try a power on stall and wait for that wing to drop :) lots of fun !Turbochargers only allows you to fly at higher altituds. RegardsJohn

John,I noticed that in FS9, as I was passing through 60 knots, I was still floating a bit with F(fe). As I decayed to 40 knots and flared, I still felt I had some lift to bleed out. BTW, how is this plane (real life) with ground effect taken in. What's it like in a cross-wind? Oh, I should state that I had a 7 knot head-wind onto the touch-down zone.Edit for a question: John, was your airframe anti-ice equipped? Boots, heat-zones, etc?Regards,Mitch

Mitch,Cross wind can be chalenging as the rudder authority is rather poor on the Mooney. I can think of quite a few times needing full rudder to stay aligned with the runway centerline. No anti ice whatsoever on my Mooney.. John

>Mitch,>Cross wind can be chalenging as the rudder authority is rather>poor on the Mooney. I can think of quite a few times needing>full rudder to stay aligned with the runway centerline. No>anti ice whatsoever on my Mooney.. >John>---------------------Hi John, thanks for the above. Yesterday, after buying the Mooney (yeah...like I wish..LOL) but anyway...I was landing at KFNT with a few knots of headwind and I couldn't believe that I still had loft at a paltry 40 knots indicated plus the 7-9 knots at headwind.I still needed to bleed off at 47 knots F(fe) before I settled down?!?!?Is a Mooney airframe really that efficient, John?Edit: Were you ever stranded by IMC on any of your sojourns? The Bravo has anti-ice right?, at least as per Microsoft.BTW, could you please write a review of your personal comparison of the virtual Mooney to the one you flew or fly? That would be most entertaining and informative reading. I'll look for it in the FS9 forum, if you have the time, and would thank you in advance for it!Mitch

I am very pleased with the visuals with Carenado Mooney 20J, it is so much better than the default Bravo in MSFS.However I agree with the other comments that the flight model needs work. I flew in a 1981 20J a couple of weeks ago. We were tooling along a 164 knts at 4500' msl with the engine running at 23"/2300 rpm.Tried the same flight last night after installing Carenado's Mooney, but could only get 20" of MP and only 134 knts (TAS). As others have noted the Carenado Mooney slows down too fast compared to the real ones. I keep checking to see if this model speed brakes that were somehow deployed by default, but gave and went to bed.Alan/KYJO

Hi I just completed a check approach in the Mooney and I found it pretty well spot on in performance. Perhaps not as quick as your friend's plane but at 5000', 2300rpm and 23", the level airspeed was 140kts with 152kts ground speed on the GPS. These are figures I would expect from a slightly tired old 201 that might not be as clean or straight as the best example.To test the airspeed bleed-off, I set up an approach to YSCB via the CCK NDB (248) 20 miles out from R35, ILS 109.5. I approached the NDB from the South at around 5000' and around 140kts IAS, and over the NDB I turned onto the ILS heading and continued until the glideslope interception. I then reduced MP to 15" and flew down the glideslope. The airspeed reduced to around 120kts and stabilised at that.About 5 miles out I reduced power to 10" and as the airspeed came down through 110kts, I extended the gear and the first notch of flap, and pretty quickly I had to increase power to 15" again to maintain 100kts on the glideslope. On final, second notch of flap, maintained 15" until just about over the boundary fence, reduced to 10" or less and flared comfortably at 75 kts, and settled gently onto the runway at 60kts.If you are not getting these figures, it's probable you're not loading the flight from the default flight. Try another flight after starting in the default flight, then change to the Mooney, then change your location, in that order.CheersJohnCanberra