Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

For the newest version makes most sense as I will be able to be at minimum TLOD on final approach. This is particularly true for those demanding situations, like flying into a major airport in a complex aircraft (as in my EHAM example above). 

Besides, in your case - couldn't you just choose to leave the "TLOD Min on Ground/Landing" option unticked? Then TLOD on the ground would be whatever you have headroom for. If you're above target FPS, TLOD will be at max. Or am I misunderstanding?

This new version does exactly the same as the last - decreasing LOD when below FPS target. If the "ground/landing" option is unticked, you could have TLOD at 400 on the ground if target FPS is reached. 

Also, allowing TLOD changes whilst on the ground can have detrimental effects for some users as it increases the chance of getting the DX12 ground textures bug. 

Here's a screenshot comparison of the previous (left) and most recent (right) version. I'm sitting at the gate at EHAM in the Fenix. TLOD is 400 as my target FPS is reached.  

auto-LODbefore-after.jpg

Thanks for this, I don’t see an option on the right for the TLOD changes on ground, so I’m assuming that leaving the TLOD Min on Ground/Landing, unchecked, in essence means that the TLOD will change on the ground…?

 

So a bit of a nomenclature change?

And leaving this unchecked also will mean the application will remain fully automatic and not target TLOD min at 1000ft AGL on descent etc? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

The new TLOD Min on Ground/Landing option was included as an option because quite a few people wanted it for airliner ops to give it DynamicLOD-like behaviour on the ground and while landing and AutoFPS while in the air.

If you uncheck this new TLOD Min on Ground/Landing option, or uncheck the Use Expert Settings option, the app will function exactly like it did before except for:

  • Slightly modified normal auto FPS behaviour, ie. when TLOD Min on Ground/Landing is not enabled, so that auto FPS will function when moving on the ground but only a rate of 1 TLOD step per second in the appropriate direction. In my testing, this still provides a stutter free taxi, take off and landing rolls, as the changes are so small, but it now gives you a more consistent FPS when taxiing around large airports as different complexity of scenery, AI and MP traffic come into view.

Sorry I was typing my reply, and this was posted whilst typing and I didn’t notice!!

 

Thanks for the clarification. 

Of course not that you need anyone’s approval, but that seems to be great to have both options basically and sounds like something I’d be really happy with!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Below is an example of the DX12-related ground textures bug.

@fra147 Note that the sim value FPS reported by the app (58 in this case) is the "native" value without FG. FG is still active whilst in the sim, hence the FG-FPS would actually be twice i.e. 116 FPS.

ground-tearing.jpg

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Here's an example of the DX12-related ground textures bug: 

ground-tearing.jpg

Yeah this bug is a pain. I get it whether using either of these apps or not, just always there. Asobo should really prioritise this. With the advent of FG so many are using DX12 now and it’s pretty bad that it results in this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

 

@fra147 Note that the sim value FPS reported by the app (58 in this case) is the "native" value without FG. FG is still active whilst in the sim, hence the FG-FPS would actually be twice i.e. 116 FPS.

 

Thanks, perfectly clear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fellow aviators are getting me curious. I apologize for the ignorance here. Awful lot of reading and I have skimmed through a bit of this.  I have an I7-10700K 32g ram 3600mhz with a Geforce 2070s DX11 .  I noticed there seems to be 2 versions of this adaptive lod shindig the 0.3.7 reset xpr and the 0.4.0 concept demo.

No pro here when it comes to computer stuff and stepping into the old fart age range 😮  and i am skeered forest.

Looking for a baseline guide here.  1 which version should I go with and would anyone with a similar setup be able to give me their settings to play around with.

                                                                       Happy Landings

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jwhak said:

Looking for a baseline guide here.  1 which version should I go with and would anyone with a similar setup be able to give me their settings to play around with.

I would suggest going for the autoFPS version (concept demo 0.4.0) for simplicity and ease of use - and the other version (dynamicLOD) for more advanced options. 

As for settings, this would highly depend on different hardware. Looking over screenshots and discussion over the last few pages in this thread might give you an idea where to start. Then tweak the settings from there to achieve the best results. 

There are many great guides on this mod on YouTube. I actually became aware of the mod watching some of IslandSimPilot's videos. I recommend the video below to get familiar with the mod. That describes the dynamicLOD version though, as the autoFPS version has been available only for the last couple of days. 

 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kdfw__ said:

tried both the reset edition and the autofps versions and for my setup (vr, modest hw), chasing fps with the autofps version doesn't run as smooth as the reset edition.  at least for my setup, fps isn't a good proxy for performance (smoothness).

the original premise of dynamic tlod was to decrease tlod close to the ground for improved performance (smoothness) and as altitude increased, freed up hw resources could be used towards loading a larger tlod radius.  the reset edition does this well.

With the latest AutoFPS version and using the TLOD Min on Ground/Landing option, you can get a DynamicLOD-like experience on and close to the ground and an automated TLOD as altitude increases. Not quite as versatile as DynamicLOD but also a lot easier to configure for most flight regimes.


Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of let me say this app is great and thanks to the developers for putting in so much time to contributing so much!

Hopefully I'm not dragging this thread back to far in the past lol but I have a question on how it works.  I'm using the 0.3.6 Reset Edition, with 'Decrease Cloud Quality" checked and I'm wondering if the app would ever increase cloud quality beyond what is set initially in MSFS settings.  Put another way, if I set my Volumetric Cloud Setting to 'High' in MSFS will the app ever set it to "Ultra" regardless of current FPS?

I was on a flight today where the app was moving between Ultra and High quite a bit, so I decided to just set the Volumetric cloud setting to high in MSFS but the LOD app seemed to move it back to Ultra.  I wasn't sure if a restart of the app (or sim) was needed in order to not have it move the cloud setting to ultra.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jwhak said:

Fellow aviators are getting me curious. I apologize for the ignorance here. Awful lot of reading and I have skimmed through a bit of this.  I have an I7-10700K 32g ram 3600mhz with a Geforce 2070s DX11 .  I noticed there seems to be 2 versions of this adaptive lod shindig the 0.3.7 reset xpr and the 0.4.0 concept demo.

No pro here when it comes to computer stuff and stepping into the old fart age range 😮  and i am skeered forest.

Looking for a baseline guide here.  1 which version should I go with and would anyone with a similar setup be able to give me their settings to play around with.

                                                                       Happy Landings

 

Further to @Cpt_Piett's recommendations, I suggest using the latest AutoFPS version and just leave it with the default settings (ie. don't check Use Expert Settings), enter a Target FPS that is achievable most of the time with your system and just go for a flight and see how it goes. If you get adventurous, enable the expert options and read the release notes on what setting does what but if you get in over your head just untick Use Expert Settings and you'll be back to auto configuration.

When AutoFPS gets released, I will write up full instructions on each setting in the readme.


Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KevinS137 said:

First of let me say this app is great and thanks to the developers for putting in so much time to contributing so much!

Hopefully I'm not dragging this thread back to far in the past lol but I have a question on how it works.  I'm using the 0.3.6 Reset Edition, with 'Decrease Cloud Quality" checked and I'm wondering if the app would ever increase cloud quality beyond what is set initially in MSFS settings.  Put another way, if I set my Volumetric Cloud Setting to 'High' in MSFS will the app ever set it to "Ultra" regardless of current FPS?

I was on a flight today where the app was moving between Ultra and High quite a bit, so I decided to just set the Volumetric cloud setting to high in MSFS but the LOD app seemed to move it back to Ultra.  I wasn't sure if a restart of the app (or sim) was needed in order to not have it move the cloud setting to ultra.

Thanks!

First of all I suggest updating to the latest 0.3.7 version found here, as it is more polished and has a few more features.

Regardless, the Decrease Cloud Quality works the same in that it only ever reduces cloud quality if below your FPS target and will recover when your FPS gets above that FPS target again plus the cloud recovery FPS buffer you set. If the cloud quality is switching too often, it means your cloud recovery FPS is set too low. I use 10 on my system and it rarely toggles unless really necessary, which is the way you want it to behave.

Re changing Cloud Quality in MSFS, you can do it when in the main menu but not when you are in a flight as the app is controlling cloud quality, if enabled, at that time.


Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, motishow said:

why i don't have nothing here?

 

spacer.png

What are you expecting to see?


Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

Lately @Reset XPDR introduced a new tool called MSFS2020_AutoFPS which works differently. It is independent from AGL and instead adjusts TLOD all the time to keep the FPS inside a customizable target intervall. 

Caveat #1: As this new tool has the FPS fluctuating below and above a target value it does not really work if you use a frame cap, which most probably most users with a VSync monitor do.

I've had a new thought about how to implement this by finding a way to cap FPS in MSFS via my app like RTSS does then working internally in my app to a higher FPS target where the lower tolerance bound is just slightly above this FPS cap so that the cap should never be breached. Not only would this help your use case, but could actually deliver a true locked FPS experience for everyone. Stay tuned!

  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

First of all I suggest updating to the latest 0.3.7 version found here, as it is more polished and has a few more features.

Regardless, the Decrease Cloud Quality works the same in that it only ever reduces cloud quality if below your FPS target and will recover when your FPS gets above that FPS target again plus the cloud recovery FPS buffer you set. If the cloud quality is switching too often, it means your cloud recovery FPS is set too low. I use 10 on my system and it rarely toggles unless really necessary, which is the way you want it to behave.

Re changing Cloud Quality in MSFS, you can do it when in the main menu but not when you are in a flight as the app is controlling cloud quality, if enabled, at that time.

OK, thanks for the quick reply.  I think I had moved the recovery FPS when messing around and I think I left it at 5.  I'll go back in and reset it for my next flight and download the new version.

BTW - your dog is giving a great side eye in your profile pic lol.

Thanks again!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rgr on the last. Thank You Capt_Piett and Reset XPDR.  Off to watch the vid.

                                               Happy Landings

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...