Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kalnon

How to set custom zoom distance for individual aircraft?

Recommended Posts

I was just wondering if there is a way I can manually set the default zoom distance for inside the cockpits of individual aircraft like in a configuration file or something?

The default of 50% is ok for some aircraft but not for others and I want a way that I can have it so that the aircraft load up with the correct zoom distance that I want and also when I hit the "reset view" button, it will revert back to the zoom level I want instead of 50%.  I hate messing around with the camera zoom sliders in the camera options menu while I'm trying  to fly or using the mouse wheel which is not very precise.

Thanks

Edited by Kalnon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Set your desired zoom and camera position and press Ctrl+F9/F10/F11 to save a new IFR/VFR/Landing Pilot View. Press Shift instead to reset camera to default. Not sure if these are the default keybinds.

Edited by Ohmsquare
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ohmsquare said:

Set your desired zoom and camera position and press Ctrl+F9/F10/F11 to save a new IFR/VFR/Landing Pilot View. Press Shift instead to reset camera to default. Not sure if these are the default keybinds.

Interesting, I didn't know I could do that, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.  That sounds much easier than doing it the way I was before.

I would still like to know though if there's an aircraft configuration file somewhere in the plane's installation folder where I can change it permanently for each plane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is permanent for each individual aircraft.

AFAIK, your saved camera settings are then automatically stored in the respective camera.cfg file in \AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SimObjects\Airplanes folder.

Edited by Ohmsquare
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Ohmsquare said:

It is permanent for each individual aircraft.

AFAIK, your saved camera settings are then automatically stored in the respective camera.cfg file in \AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SimObjects\Airplanes folder.

Ahh I see, thank you again.  It certainly does make things a lot easier than constantly fiddling with the zoom all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can also save custom camera views with leftCTRL/leftALT + number (not Numpad). Basically you adjust the view you are currently in to your liking, press CTRL+ALT+1 and can recall this view with ALT+1 from wherever you are. I have set up my cooliehat to pan left-right-up-down, and with pressing another button on my joystick together with cooliehat movement I change views Pilot-Copilot-Overhead-Pedestal.The camerasytem in MSFS is very versatile, but it needs some time to explore all the possibilities.

Here's how i set it up: I adjusted the pilot view to my liking, saved it as "User Defined Camera 1" (CTRL+ALT+1). I can change to that view anytime by pulling the lever (4) and simultaneously pushing the cooliehat to the left (POV <-). The other views are defined accordingly. Here's a sceenshot. It's german, but you'll get the drift.

spacer.png

  • Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

You can also save custom camera views with leftCTRL/leftALT + number (not Numpad). Basically you adjust the view you are currently in to your liking, press CTRL+ALT+1 and can recall this view with ALT+1 from wherever you are. I have set up my cooliehat to pan left-right-up-down, and with pressing another button on my joystick together with cooliehat movement I change views Pilot-Copilot-Overhead-Pedestal.The camerasytem in MSFS is very versatile, but it needs some time to explore all the possibilities.

Here's how i set it up: I adjusted the pilot view to my liking, saved it as "User Defined Camera 1" (CTRL+ALT+1). I can change to that view anytime by pulling the lever (4) and simultaneously pushing the cooliehat to the left (POV <-). The other views are defined accordingly. Here's a sceenshot. It's german, but you'll get the drift.

spacer.png

That's awesome, I didn't know that was possible either.  That's a fantastic way to set it up.  I'm definitely trying that.  Thank you so much for sharing.

BTW anyone know how to free roam?  I want to be able to get up and move through the cabin and look closely also at the outside of the airplane, get up close and personal.  I see people do it all the time in YouTube videos but I can't figure out how to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think youtube and searching for "MSFS"  +  "camera system", "drone camera" or "custom views" is the way to go.

  • Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you guys, very helpful, I appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use right CTRL and the number pad to set views…5 pilot view/6right/4left/..and others..


Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, reecemj said:

I use right CTRL and the number pad to set views…5 pilot view/6right/4left/..and others..

That's what I did, until I read MadDog's post above. Indeed, if you are simply bending a button of the joystick to reset a saved custom cockpit camera view (numpad "4" in my case), you will have to press the button two times, because, the first time, you are getting another view. So, I discovered that the button has to be mapped to "cockpit view reset". As MadDog suggests (thanks to him), I edited all my camera.cfg files (I only use third party aircrafts) to make this function working. A small issue though : the transition from any custom view to the cockpit view reset is not pretty fluid (I run my PC with a RTX 4060, so it's not a GPU limitation).

Edited by danhenri
  • Like 1

Intel Core i7-9700K (3.6 GHz/4.9 GHz), GeForce RTX 4060 TI, DDR4 32Go, screen ASUS XG32VQR 32'', Honeycomb Alpha Flight Controls, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Pro Pedal CH Products, TCA Sidestick Airbus, TCA Boeing Yoke Edition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many different ways to do it it seems, just have to keep tinkering and learning what all the different controls actually do.  That's always been a frustrating part of flight simulation for me, learning how to setup the camera controls so that it feels as intuitive as possible when using nothing but a hat switch, buttons or key presses.

I really need to get a Track IR already, but then I have to learn how to set that up too 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...