Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Real Turb v2

1 hour ago, Noell said:

The RealTurb manual says:

"Alt_Min: (Possible values 200 or more - default value is 200)

This parameter represents the altitude in ft (above ground), below which RealTurb effects are inhibited"

Doesn't that mean RealTurb does nothing below 200 feet even if you do set it lower than 200 feet in the config file?

I tried the 200 default and then changed the setting to 20. Made no difference that I could detect.

@Fiorentoni already gave you the correct answer.

200 is the default, but not the minimum, if I correctly recall... 

I have set mine to 20 and I do feel effects down to that level, while leaving it at the default somehow truncates those effects to high above the runway for my liking...

This morning tried it with the terrible weather at Azores, arriving at LPHR RW 10 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Still wondering why the manual says "possible values 200 or more".

I have emailed the dev for clarification.

• Upvote 1

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX4080 Super Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

3 hours ago, Noell said:

Still wondering why the manual says "possible values 200 or more".

I have emailed the dev for clarification.

Maybe because a setting too low might create difficult landings / takeoffs due to immediate turbulence. It also might interfere with the MSFS ground effect, I don't know. Let us know his response!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

Maybe because a setting too low might create difficult landings / takeoffs due to immediate turbulence. It also might interfere with the MSFS ground effect, I don't know. Let us know his response!

I heard back from the dev. He says 200 feet is indeed the lowest setting even if you do set it to a lower value in the config file.

Following is a  copy/paste of our correspondence:

Hi,
Yes the absolute  limit is 200ft AGL, so even if you put 20, the value used will still be 200.

Regards,

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 4:36 PM Lloyd <xxxx@xxx.com> wrote:

Hi. The RealTurb manual says:

This parameter represents the altitude in ft (above ground), below which RealTurb effects are inhibited"

Doesn't that mean RealTurb does nothing below 200 feet even if you do set it lower than 200 feet in the config file?

Yet, on the Avsim MSFS forum, users are saying they have decreased this to 20 feet.

How is that possible given the manual says the acceptable range for the Alt_min parameter can only be 200 or more?

Please clarify and thanks for a great MSFS addon.

Best regards,
Lloyd 

Edited by Noell
  • Upvote 1

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX4080 Super Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

31 minutes ago, Noell said:

Yes the absolute  limit is 200ft AGL, so even if you put 20, the value used will still be 200.

There's your answer right there. Users here are saying they have put it to 20, but the dev says it will internally be set to 200 anyway. So just leave it at. 200

5 hours ago, Noell said:

I heard back from the dev. He says 200 feet is indeed the lowest setting even if you do set it to a lower value in the config file.

Following is a  copy/paste of our correspondence:

Hi,

Regards,

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 4:36 PM Lloyd <xxxx@xxx.com> wrote:

Hi. The RealTurb manual says:

Doesn't that mean RealTurb does nothing below 200 feet even if you do set it lower than 200 feet in the config file?

Yet, on the Avsim MSFS forum, users are saying they have decreased this to 20 feet.

How is that possible given the manual says the acceptable range for the Alt_min parameter can only be 200 or more?

Please clarify and thanks for a great MSFS addon.

Best regards,
Lloyd 

Would be interested to hear what his recommendation is for the MSFS turbulence setting

This was an absolute must in P3D v5... And I am happy to see it in MSFS now. Will be buying today. It made turbulence immersive in P3D. 

5 hours ago, abennett said:

Would be interested to hear what his recommendation is for the MSFS turbulence setting

Already asked, he said "Anything is fine, realTurb operates independently from MSFS turbulence". However this also means we have to figure it out, what's realistic. I've come to the conclusion that "low" is best, because MSFS turbulence is bad anyway and RealTurb can do enough turbulence on its own. Both lack cloud turbulence, which is still one of the most annoying things in MSFS2020.

• Upvote 1

I am interested in this product, but what I certainly not want, is another tool that needs to be adjusted depending on the aircraft type I am flying. Those who already use it: is it fire and forget? Set up once and then it works for all aircraft types in the sim? Or should it be adjusted depending on the type? 

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

I am interested in this product, but what I certainly not want, is another tool that needs to be adjusted depending on the aircraft type I am flying. Those who already use it: is it fire and forget? Set up once and then it works for all aircraft types in the sim? Or should it be adjusted depending on the type? 

Yes, install and forget. The heavier the plane, the less it gets tossed around in my experience, so I guess it works as it should. There was also no need for customization per-aircraft in P3D's RealTurb, so I wouldn't worry

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RT has been updated to v2.0.2

"RealTurb CAT Areas Global for MSFS v2.0.2 released, now supporting in-cloud turbulence effects as well"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Frédéric Giraud

Did a flight out of Heathrow this morning and was able to test the in-cloud turbulence immediately, since it was 35000 feet of dense overcast and rain (or as I call it: a normal day in Britain). I found the cloud turbulence effect quite weak, it was really awful weather from takeoff right up to cruise level. I only had some initial "shaking" the first couple of thousand feet and then it was smooth sailing. Not sure how RealTurb reads the clouds from the sim, because I thought that was technically impossible yet (-> WX radar).

16 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

Did a flight out of Heathrow this morning and was able to test the in-cloud turbulence immediately, since it was 35000 feet of dense overcast and rain (or as I call it: a normal day in Britain). I found the cloud turbulence effect quite weak, it was really awful weather from takeoff right up to cruise level. I only had some initial "shaking" the first couple of thousand feet and then it was smooth sailing. Not sure how RealTurb reads the clouds from the sim, because I thought that was technically impossible yet (-> WX radar).

I noticed the same but I upped the Cloud Turbulence Scalar to 150 and it improved it a bit. Far better than nothing.