Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

Backlight showing up since SP2

Hi people,Not sure what's going on here, allthough I've read SP2 messed up a lot of addons. Since I installed SP2 over a clean FSX installation I have a weird problem with a couple of addon planes that I reinstalled after SP2. I use XP, so the problem has nothing to do with the DX10 preview...See the images below; when turning on any light during daytime, beacon, NAV or whatever, it looks like this:With the Carenado 182Q.Lights off:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180148.jpgLights on:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180149.jpgWith the Skymaster by FSD the problem is even more clear.Lights off:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180150.jpgLights on:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180151.jpgIs there anything I can do about this? Or do we have to wait for the developer's fixes?

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

No VC gauge backlighting is active in the daytime in FS9, nor is it in FSX......unless the modeler has built a new FSX model and used the new "Additive" light source for the gauge polygons, which will maintain constant backlighting 24/7 on the VC gauge polys.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

How about starting the engine so that you have some power FOR the lights?

Dave Taylor gb.png

>No VC gauge backlighting is active in the daytime in FS9, nor>is it in FSX...>>...unless the modeler has built a new FSX model and used the>new "Additive" light source for the gauge polygons, which>will maintain constant backlighting 24/7 on the VC>gauge polys.Bill,Since the problem arises with FS9 models ported over or 'rebuilt' for FSX I don't think your possible solution could be an explanation. Then again, if it isn't backlight showing up, what is it that is happening here?I removed Acceleration from my system and the planes above are 'normal' again.Besides that, Acceleration brings down my system to its knees. In the Law Enforcement mission for example I got only 2-4 FPS. Also a free flight generated horrible stutters, all with the same settings as before installing Acceleration. These stutters would vanish though after switching from full screen to windowed mode and back...I've tried letting the sim build a clean FSX.cfg after my Acceleration install. No go unfortunately. I'm back to FSX SP1 which performs nicely on my ancient machine.Any ideas though how to get the same performance with SP2?

Cheers, Bert

Nope Dave, didn't help. Thanx for the advice anyway :-)

Cheers, Bert

Sorry to bump this one up, but can someone with SP2 and above aircraft installed confirm if they have this issue as well? Thanx.

Cheers, Bert

>Sorry to bump this one up, but can someone with SP2 and above>aircraft installed confirm if they have this issue as well?>Thanx. I can verify that many FS9 aircraft imported into FSX suffer from "Accelleration induced" texture problems that are related to lightslighting. Many VC panel and cockpit areas become "reflective" when ANY light is turned on ( nav, beacon, panel, etc ) during the daytime. This effect can be seen in your 4th screenshot as the "green area" below the radio stack. One of my FS9 imports, the Iris T-45C Goshawk, exhibits "reflective" textures for the main panel background and the HUD. The "reflective" HUD makes the aircraft unflyable in the daytime with ANY light activated. If I switch off all lights, the textures return to normal. However the other day as I was doing carrier ops with a mostly overcast sky I did notice that the "reflective" texture problem surfaced briefly as I was in some hard turns. I don't know if this was due to sunlight on the cockpit forward view or some other effect. Some FS9 imports work just fine in FSX-SP2, such as Dave Maltby's BAC 1-11. This aircraft has worked sine day 1 in FSX and both the taxi and landing lights worked as well, and still do. I have around 60 FS9 imports in my FSX install and I've not gotten around to checking more than a handfull. I do recall that on one particular aircraft with a "reflective" VC panel background, I was able to "fix" the problem by changing the "Background_color=0,0,0" statement im the panel.cfg to call up a different color. Some aircraft have only small areas that are affected by this problem and are flyable but others are so PORKED that they are not flyable during the day with any light on. All of those aircraft worked just fine prior to SP2.... Paul

Wide-5.jpg