Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

Can we have both XP and Vista on the same Hard Disk?

Guest cliffie1931

I've noticed the comments about how much better Windows XP is for FSX compared to Windows Vista which I use.Can I install Windows XP in addition to Windows Vista so that FSX will use XP only and I then use Vista for everything else?If that's feasable will I get additional benefit if I can cut down the number of programs normally running in the background and leave them in Vista only?Cliff

i have both on a SATA HDD without any problemshttp://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xpwill helpI also find my XP-partition 's install of FSX-acceleration to run better...No problem having dual-FSX with dual-boot OS, if its on the same drive it may very well be seen as the same computer...Have dual UTX, UTTraffic, everything doubled.allen

Guest cliffie1931

Thanks guys.Jut one more question. Is there a downside or disadvantage to following this course?Cliff

Cliff,Not really,You just have to be careful with drive letters and such when doing it. You want to make it so that both OSes see the partition they're installed to as C: otherwise certain installer type things can mess up if they're not programmed correctly. Install XP first and then Vista - it's much harder to do it the other way around, you have to use EasyBCD or Vista Boot Pro to modify the Vista boot files if you do it the other way...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest cliffie1931

Thanks for that Ryan. As I'm already operating under Vista I must give it some thought before jumping in feet first.To help me take that decision can you perhaps give me an idea of how worthwhile such a change would be? My primary interest lies with the new PMDG 747-400 where I get a rate of about 7 on the ground at major airports and something like 18 aloft.Cliff