Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

BEST EVER TIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't kid yourselves, there was obviously something else wrong with his system. Frankly I'm getting pretty worn out of seeing these "I found the silver bullet!!!!" threads. While the OP meant well, he may not be informed enough to understand that turning those features off alone is not going to triple anyone's framerates, even his. Something else was obviously going on.

Have you tested it? I did. It did nothing!! Read the other posts by users in this thread. It actually does nothing!

Windowed, and it worked for me, that is why I passed it on.Seems you can't please everyone though :-(

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest bigean

A PC not capable of running the XP effects without major hit IMHO shouldn't be first choice of running FS2002 and higher.Anybody with decent hardware should not see any hit from those effects. Exceptions might apply rarely.Bigean

Guest tmilton

Although it did not improve my frames, I appreciate that Dave tried to share with us some information that he thought would help us.Whether or not that piece of information helped us, what I see as disturbing is that some have decided to respond in a mocking manner when the tip did not have the same effect on our systems. If it did not improve our FS performance, can't we simply just say respectfully "it didn't work, but thank you"?After all, his tip may do some good for those that have a similar setup. The reason he posted it was simply to help, so please keep that in mind.

HelloI have always ran with all the effects turned off, just looks better IMHOIt would seem that Microsoft feel that it has an effect on the speed of the windows UI going by the wording on the dialog pageLet windows choose what's best for my computerAdjust for best appearanceADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCECustom

I was sure Tom did say he was banned about a week ago. It's just awful to see such ignorant remarks by him to most anyone who see things different from him. The OP shared something that helped his system. I guess this sort of post to share an experience with the "community" is no longer allowed unless it helps wignut1 directly?Jim

1). I believe there was another Wingnut who did get kicked, and - from Tom's comment - he and this Wingnut are not the same person.2). If the effects are turned off and you're running in windowed mode there should be some small increase in performance, as your desktop is still being repainted and will therefore consume cpu and/or gpu cycles while at the same time trying to run FSX.My personal desktop preference is for the classic windows mode; classic start menu; no themes; no effects; no screen saver; toolbar with quicklaunch at the bottom; 1680 x 1050 x 16-bit colour - that size repeated in FSX with FSX then being launched using FSAutoStart.There are too many other tweaks to mention here, as most folks know, but this is one that's rarely mentioned so we should thank Dave for bringing it to the attention of the many folks who didn't know about it. :)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Actually, it may hurt in one way, as after I turned this stuff off I started experiencing the age old nVidia AA tooltip appearance making the screen below it change to an old static one. When I turned these items back on, it stopped doing it ???Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Thanks for the tip...but for me, it did not affect anything. Keep searching, though. That' the only way to find the "Holy Grail".

>Thanks for the tip...but for me, it did not affect anything. >Keep searching, though. That' the only way to find the "Holy>Grail".>>Let's not forget that the "Holy Grail" is a myth!

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.