Sign in to follow this  
Harrier77

Pushbacks and stationary aircraft on taxiways behaviour

Hi Nico,

I have some observations about the pushbacks in sim with PSXT. For real traffic assessments I have used FR24 and https://globe.adsbexchange.com/ as references. I have taken into account the PSXT 30 second delay for processing data.

Many pushbacks in the sim do not start when the real aircraft pushes back. The pushbacks in these cases start when the real aircraft starts to taxi. A problem then occurs because the sim pushback obviously takes some time and when the sim aircraft has completed the pushback the real aircraft can now be some distance away. When the sim aircraft then starts the taxi, it follows a direct line from its pushback position to where the real aircraft is, ignoring taxiway routes. This looks odd and often involves taxiing over grass, and through parked aircraft and buildings. Can this behaviour be prevented?

There are a couple of further issues regarding aircraft out on taxiways. Firstly, sometimes when real aircraft are stationary for some time, i.e. waiting in the take off sequence, the sim removes the aircraft only to be reinstated when it moves again in real life (this can be seen often at LGW runway 26L departures). Secondly, when an arriving real aircraft waits on a taxiway before moving onto a gate, the sim aircraft will drift sideways onto an adjacent stand which looks odd and is often not the correct stand. Sometimes this is corrected when the real aircraft moves again where the sim aircraft drifts again back out onto the taxiway and then parks, although this does not always happen. Can these behaviours be improved?

Anyway, a great product in PSXT which I am enjoying. Hopefully more refinements will continue to be incorporated to improve the experience.

Peter

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K, XMP OC | GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080Ti 11GB | MoBo:  ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F | OS: Windows 11 Home 64bit | RAM: 32GB 3466MHz DDR4 | HD: 2TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 3TB HDD | MSFS 2020

Posted (edited)

Hi Peter,

All these annoying things are caused by inaccurate RT data. You may know that I am already 8 years "tweaking" PSXTraffic, but I don't think any more improvements are possible.

7 hours ago, Harrier77 said:

Many pushbacks in the sim do not start when the real aircraft pushes back. The pushbacks in these cases start when the real aircraft starts to taxi. A problem then occurs because the sim pushback obviously takes some time and when the sim aircraft has completed the pushback the real aircraft can now be some distance away. 

When an aircraft is at the gate, the data I get from RT is not a stream of a fixed lat/lon positions. There is noise that forces me to check how many meters the aircraft is from the gate position, that goes from  0, 12, 34, 44, 2, 7, 9 and so on. When it is more then 55 meters I conclude it is pushing back. So it is a tradeoff between letting an aircraft push to soon or too late. 

Firstly, sometimes when real aircraft are stationary for some time, i.e. waiting in the take off sequence, the sim removes the aircraft only to be reinstated when it moves again in real life (this can be seen often at LGW runway 26L departures). 

This is caused by a "hole" in the RT data. If there are no more data positions for an aircraft that is standing still, I let it there for another 60 seconds or so, but then I have to conclude it is gone, otherwise it would block upcoming aircraft.

Secondly, when an arriving real aircraft waits on a taxiway before moving onto a gate, the sim aircraft will drift sideways onto an adjacent stand which looks odd and is often not the correct stand. 

Same sort of problem, there is no more data. If a gate is within reach I will park it there. A tradeoff between an aircraft that disappears completely or an aircraft parked (although wrongly).

If you can come up with better heuristics I am of course all ears. 😉 

Nico

Edited by kiek

Hi Nico,

Thanks you for the detailed explanation. I fully appreciate that you have been working on this for a long time and your efforts are appreciated. Let us hope that the RT data will improve after Balthasar gets his new source up and running.

Peter

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K, XMP OC | GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080Ti 11GB | MoBo:  ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F | OS: Windows 11 Home 64bit | RAM: 32GB 3466MHz DDR4 | HD: 2TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 3TB HDD | MSFS 2020