Sign in to follow this  
jvile

something weird east of Phoenix

>>When I saw Dave's original post I jump at the chance to ask>him if he had anything other then FSX SP2 installed. I was>looking for a commonality (for a fix) between what I am seeing>and what he saw. >>Any thoughts?>>My thoughts are...the first thing that came to mind when I read Dave's original post was, "he must have some other scenery installed...".However, apparently that is not the case.And then, to complicate matters, you have the same code failing at EHAM and working at KATL, which on the surface makes no sense to me.I don't think this is a heat issue with hardware, and things don't just happen by themselves in programming--there must be a logical reason for it. I think there is some change in the way SP2 handles certain display items (such as lights) and this method may have a bug or two in it, or it may have broken the backwards compat chain with respect to the SCASM you are using.That leads me to the possibility that there is some scenery element or scenery type present near EHAM that is not present near KATL. And this scenery element must also be present near Silver City VOR... ?This is of course a guess but it did cross my mind when reading this entire thread.For the record, I have not encountered the display problem Dave and you have observed but I will be on the lookout for it. I have not been to your KATL since SP2 install but I plan to try that shortly...Your EHAM wasn't the only thing affected by SP2--I had to rework all of my gmax materials that had transparency for my MPDA scenery. For that, I am glad I put off uploading until after SP2.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

MaceYour thought and mine are in the same ballpark.Since SP2 I do have a slight transparency issue with KATL and the SCASM coded runway 10/28. When you go there you will see some slight bleed through of the Overrun/Blastpad lines that were not there prior to SP2.It is a little visual annoying and I will probably patch it as a update fix for SP2. The overrun lines are the XML runway thank goodess. I have now been able to duplicate Dave's original problem East of Pheonix. On a 090 radial "To" Silver City VOR the C172 at 9500 ft starts to hesitate. The studders begin to increase over a short period of time and then the FPS start dropping. Because I was in DX9 mode the FPS dropped all the way to 0.7 at which the C172 was no longer flyable. This Alienware never went to a OOM or CTD by the plane update rate was nil at that point. I did a end FS from the menu.I flew the flight again using the Baron and was able to get through that area with just a few studders and some high erratic FPS but kept going. The area in question is north of Tucson. I feel if I had been in DX10 mode the spikes would have also occured like they do when I am at EHAM when in DX10 preview.thanks for your thought input

Jim - I'm glad you were able to replicate what I encountered.I dont know very much about the programming that goes into creating scenery and things.It occurred to me that I do have one other 'scenery' thing installed and that is FSG landclass for FS9. I dont believe that would make any difference but it is what it is.I have a thought on your EHAM problem. Did you compile it with the updated SP2 SDK? Would it work if you compiled it with the SP1 SDK?I was sitting here the other night and thinking about the guy who says "I saw something while flying over New Mexico (or wherever)". It's like I spotted a UFO and was trying to convince others. I think thats funny. Jim, I'm glad you encountered the same area of reduced performance. That means its a replicatable/solvable problem.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

>I was sitting here the other night and thinking about the guy>who says "I saw something while flying over New Mexico (or>wherever)". It's like I spotted a UFO and was trying to>convince others. I think thats funny. Jim, I'm glad you>encountered the same area of reduced performance. That means>its a replicatable/solvable problem.>>I am going to try to duplicate the problem north of Tucson on my machine very soon.I'll try to duplicate your flight as closely as I can, based on what you and Jim posted here.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Dave, I use the SDK SP2 compiler. I will try the SDK SP1a compiler and see if there is a change.@MaceI tested a few more addon airports that are 3rd party such as Boston that George made over at FlyTampa. There are a few SCASM bgl's in that scenery. The FS9 Boston scenery works fine in SP1 but FPS in Accel/SP2 go to 1.7. On Phil's blog he references some of the code change in SP2 and mentions backward compatibility. looks like we are getting closer to pure XML. If you fly the Silver City test use the C172. Make a VFR FP, VOR to VOR deleting all but the Silver City. Climb to 9500 ft slowly (I had to use 300 FPM in the latter part of the climb or stair step)).AT 40 to 50 NM from the KPHX VOR the FPS should start to go erratic and drop. DX9 mode no spikes. DX10 mode gave me texture spikes.