Sign in to follow this  
Rune-ENHD

Aftermath of a Failed Hi-spec PC MSFS build?What went wrong?

Posted (edited)

Hi Guys & Gals!

Happy New Year everyone 😃

(MODS, please move post "if in wrong area")  but I specifically posted "here" for more general views, so people can help out..thanks) 

(PS please excuse my Bad grammar.. and typo's)

I have a longtime Friend, who's recently went from OK experience on the XBOX-X (4k) to "quite a" monster build! For PC Flightsimming..

He purchased "a high quality no budget prebuilt/tested"

*Modern Gaming computer* from a:

Norwegian Computer company (Komplett.no)

This is his Computer Built!!!

CPU: AMD Latest 7800-X3D 

Grapics-card: NVIDIA Asus RTX-4090(24GB)

RAM(32GB) 5600 speed DDR5

Windows 11 installed

TV-Screen OLED LG B8 series 65-inch

750-Mbit Internet Fiber (close to 1-Gbit)

*He tried both DX12 and DX11 to alleviate the problem* did not help, best experience with DX12..DX11 more choppy ride for him

To say he became disapointed quickly *will be an understatement*

He had PMDG 737 , Inibuilds Oslo & Inibuilds Bergen running on XBOX-X and... and with reasonable performance having *smooth* experince *no framedrops* 

THEN when he attempted, *to upgrade* to a proper PC-built for Flightsimming, he tried theese same addons *on the to PC build* 

He then got a lot of choppiness in 4K and was experiencing framedrops, 

he was SORELY DISAPOINTED, he was getting SEVERE FPS DROPS without NO Airborne(AI)-Traffic ... with same addons as the smooth xbox-x experience

He was flying PMDG 737 into Inibuilds Bergen and Oslo and getting frames down into single digits(5FPS) he measured this on an external XBox gaming-overlay that supports the FRAME-GENERATED FRAMES.. high frames but abysmal performance(he used developer mode *to monitor the overall performance* of cpu performance and graphics performance +++

WHY did this happen, ?????

when he was SO EXITED TO FINALLY try a proper built PC with a GPU RTX-4090 and cpu AMD 7800-X3D ????

HE TRIED ALL SORTS!! Of ERROR-seeking high and low on the internet/youtube

He concluded that a *low* LOD of 100 or 90 WAS NEEDED *to achieve similar performance* as the xbox-x in 4K with the same addons..

Also he estimate the Xbox runs a LOD of 300 instead of the horrible 100 or 90 PC LOD.. thats absurd, trees and buildings and textures on mountains disaper quicly *to have similar smooth experince* on the PC..

He even lowered his settings RADICALLY and set his OLED B8 TV set to *Gaming mode 120hz* RESOLUTION 1080p mode just to make sure 60fps 4k messued up performance..

, still same rubbish abysmal results after a lot of tweaking , 

He was getting Really angry, becase he was getting WORSE RESULTS on 6000dollar PC build than on XBOX-X 600dollar **With the same addons...** he really digged in *for 4 days straigt*

Working like A MADMAN "into the nighthours" errorseeking and just came to the conclusion 

***THE COPUTER IS GOING BACK.. NO PURCHASE!!** Packed it up was ready for shippment back.. Then it went a few days, and ... he tried AGAIN for a desperate solution.. To problem at hand, why why why he thought... 

Pleaaaase Help and make us (him and me) and potential other PC owners of similar builds,,, understand WHAT went SOOO wrong for him? 

And why he became soooooooo Disapointed at the PC Experience.

THANX...

BTW my friend is ALLERGIC to frame-drops /choppy/stuttery flight experience..

*ALL he wanted was much better 4K experience* with Framegeneration ****SMOOOTH RIDE/and realistic flight** with better graphics !!

---- ---- ---

**He sacrifized the Most of the AI traffic**(A BIG FPS HITTER)

for a SMOOOOTH Flight experience for smooth performance into(Arrival) and out of(Departures) Airports.. He tried ULTRA but quicly redused them to some high and some Ultra settings..

Why oh why DID HE GET ???

*such a Miserable Experience*

on a NEW High spec PC!!! 😮 😮

Thanks so much in advance

(PS please excuse Bad grammar.. and typo's)

Kind Regards Rune-ENHD

Edited by Rune-ENHD
Added missing info

Well something is definitely wrong with his rig because my 7800X3D + 4090 rocks the house all day.

Is the chipset driver, provisioning driver, etc. installed?

• Like 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

MOBO drivers, chipset drivers, Nvidia drivers?  Could be so many things.  Overheating?  Thermal paste prooerly applied? Weak/underpowered PSU?

I assume he is running from a decent sized SSD or Nvme drive and excluded the MDFS folder from virus checking.

I would suggest running Nvidia Experience at its recommended settings and allow it to adjust MSFS graphics settings and see how it goes from there (it should run pretty much everything at Ultra).

Turn off game mode and HAGS in windows.

I had similar issues when I upgraded from 1080 to 1440 and it turned out that my problrm was running too much antialiasing both in Nvidia settings and in MSFS ( You really don't need much AA at higher resolutions).

Failing that, there are a number of videos on Youtube which give you best settings for MSFS (can't make any suggestions offhand but someone will chime in with a good one he has seen recently).

These are the first things that spring to mind but there are a few more I haven't mentioned.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

The first red flag was the price. Alienwares don't cost that much, and they're notorious for being overpriced.

You shouldn't pay more than a little over $4,000 for a prebuilt with a 4090 and an X3D chip in it. Anyone charging $6,000 is ripping you off.  (And yes, I'm assuming you converted to USD, becuase 6000 Kroner is only like $580).

I did a quick google search on the company he bought it from. They have abysmal reviews. They very clearly have no idea what they're doing, nor do they care to learn. He should definitely return it and get something good. If he's willing to spend that much, go look at NZXT custom gaming PCs.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Hey, Good Morning guys & Gals! 🙂👍

"still sleepy: here 😳😯😵💫🥱 woke up waay to early(0600AM).. 😵💫😲  hehe..

Thanks for following up "on where we left of" last time yesterday .... WE REALLY APPRECIATE THAT!!! 😃😃👍👍

Let's see .... I will try and answer the few questions which I know the answer to.

"the rest" I have no idea??? I was not there with him at the time, but I truely belive him he explored every option setting he could.. 😲😲

First: We live in "a overpriced country" outside of EU and for a couple of years we have had quite low value on *our KRONE rate* especially to the Euro,Dollar,UK Pound and even Danish Krone

Second: We sadly don't have Jet Line systems, Stormforce PC, or Wired2Fire systems in our country or region 😔😔😞

Yes, SSD - Kingston KC3000 M.2  - 2TB size

Yes, BIOS "Latest" for the ASUS TUF motherboard

MSFS Premium Deluxe, Microsoft-store version he said (not Steam installed)

Edited by Rune-ENHD

Posted (edited)

Some thoughts:

NVIDIA 3D settings

• Power management mode: prefer maximum performance

Windows settings:

• Power & sleep -> best performance

from there: related settings -> Additional power settings -> select "High performance"
change plan settings -> change advanced plan settings

• PCI express -> Link state power mgmt: off
  • Processor power mgmt:
    min : 0%
    systen cooling: active
    max: 100%
  • AMD Power slider: best performance

Edited by QuaxTheSnoopie
Some additions
  • Like 1

Don't ever buy pre-builts. I know this is a thing in the US, but avoid it like the plague. Do your own research, dig a little, get much better prices. Also, don't assume "the best hardware" will perform the best for your specific case. Again, do some research. My hardware is much more humble, cost a fraction of the price and, for my case, i got exactly what i wanted.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Posted (edited)

Honestly, it's close to impossible to diagnose, especially remote. It could be everything from the build, to a BIOS setting, to hardware, to a wonky Windows installation / setting to a million and three different software or MSFS setting related problems. It'll just be people throwing out hundreds of different suggestions with no way of confirming it at this point.

To really get to the bottom of the issue, you need someone with expertise to do proper troubleshooting.

Edited by Sethos
  • Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

His specs are very good and msfs should be running like a dream.  I'm wondering if he has bought what he thinks he has bought.  Has anyone opened the box and checked what components are actually inside or checked the system details in Windoze?  If that is all OK then my thoughts in my earlier post apply

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I could be wrong here but i think the problem can be so many different things that it's too difficult and/or time consuming to test out and solve it online.

I assume there is some sort of Norwegian flightsimulator gathering/friends/club/connoisseurs who must be able to help you guys out locally, maybe that's an idea?

Either way, such pc should definitely not perform the way it does now.

• Like 1

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

For the love of god, please write and format like a normal person.

• Like 3

Run 3D Mark Timespy to see if it’s a general problem or related to MSFS. Monitor temperatures / frequencies with HWInfo while doing so. 

• Like 1

Go into Device Manager and disable the AMD GPU (built into the CPU) so only the RTX 4090 is available for use.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

8 minutes ago, Donka said:

Go into Device Manager and disable the AMD GPU (built into the CPU) so only the RTX 4090 is available for use.

Hmmm….best suggestion so far!

• Like 1