Sign in to follow this  
Excelsis

CJ4 banking l/r violently on approach

Hi. I love the MSFS CJ4 but why does it veer/bank violently left to right on approach trying to find the LOC on an ILS landing? I'm following the guidelines, tuning is fine, the LOC1 is PRESET and the LOC diamond moves to the centre of the PFD but the moment I hit that APP button on final it goes completely crazy and banks all over the place and only stabilises when I'm about 5m from TD. Am I hitting APP too early? Should I wait until just before FF? Any advice gratefully received!

You are now in the correct forum for your questions!

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I haven't had the issue you are describing.  One thing I would recommend is to not select APP mode late.  I usually select APP mode prior to or just after the IAF.

The FMS will switch to the localizer automatically and even pre-tune it if you have the proper approach and transition loaded.  The CJ4 will usually capture the LOC and eventually the GS very smoothly unless there's a lot of turbulence or buffeting crosswind present.

Randall Rocke

2 hours ago, Excelsis said:

Hi. I love the MSFS CJ4 but why does it veer/bank violently left to right on approach trying to find the LOC on an ILS landing? I'm following the guidelines, tuning is fine, the LOC1 is PRESET and the LOC diamond moves to the centre of the PFD but the moment I hit that APP button on final it goes completely crazy and banks all over the place and only stabilises when I'm about 5m from TD. Am I hitting APP too early? Should I wait until just before FF? Any advice gratefully received!

Yes. Any mods? Try Longitude and see if same behavior?

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Thanks for the replies. Solved it now, I was panicking about the whole NAV/APP sequence. All I had to do was follow LNAV with FMS activated in the PFD as normal and then when the 'ghost' LOC1 indicator (dotted blue arrow) appeared in the PFD I just pressed APP and APPLOC1 and GS became armed (white). I continued on LNAV until final and it switched automatically to LOC1 (green) and ultimately caught the GS. Didn't have to activate the NAV button with the up and down arrows at all. There was a bit of swaying while it latched on to the LOC  but nothing too frightening and certainly not like I had before!