Sign in to follow this  
DadJokeCinema

Any big FSX news or announcements at the FANCON?

Guest jshyluk

Microsoft did bring some of their future initiatives to the convention. However, only those who signed Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) are privy to them, and so this cannot be discussed in any detail here. So, yes, Microsoft did make some big announcements, but unfortunately, the news cannot be made public. Microsoft is certainly aware of DX10 and other issues with FSX, but strangely enough, nobody from the general public brought up any DX10 complaints when we had the Q&A forum with ACES. Not that ACES would have anything new to say that hasn't already been talked about in forums, though, I would think. Definitely watch the AVSIM front news page for the announcements from FanCon! We do have quite a bit of news to share with the public, so I would expect many exciting announcements and reports in the near future.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest j0nx

The stats show that only about 2.5% of the public uses vista and has a dx10 card so the dx10 patch is just not on the radar of the majority of users.

Guest baksteen33

Hi j0nx, I doubt that number is correct. Stream reported some 5% DX10 capable systems roughly 4-5 months ago. That number might have doubled by now? Kind regards Jaap

>Hi j0nx, I doubt that number is correct. Stream reported some>5% DX10 capable systems roughly 4-5 months ago. That number>might have doubled by now? >>Kind regards >>Jaap It hasn't.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest player1

>The stats show that only about 2.5% of the public uses vista>and has a dx10 card so the dx10 patch is just not on the radar>of the majority of users. Not sure if thats a good way to look at it.I mean considering that the DX10 patch is worth how much for all $$$ to upgrade?If DX10 had done what it was hyped to, then the upgrade path would be on most everyones list.

Guest baksteen33

Thanks for the info, Ed. In our forum, one gets the impression 75% of the world has Vista - a complicated formula turned that into a 10% guesstimate. :-) Kind regards Jaap

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All, Well, considering it took me till 2004 to change to XP, I can imagine that Vista will be one of the final things I do before passing from this world. I don't think I would have changed from 98 to XP if I hadn't had to . . . oh well, BestClayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

I believe unless you have seen FSX DX10 in game, you can not judge. Only from the screenshots you can not tell.The whole atmosphere of the game is influenced by the HDR lightning : sun, clouds, all the lights, ... without a penalty like you have with DX9 bloom.Add to that dynamic cockpit shadows and the white caps on the waves, and you have a total different game.Again, screenshots do not do justice.Jan

I really find it interesting how different companies share or don't share developments:Example #1 - ACES is working on stuff but NDA prevents anyone from talking.Example #2 - PMDG is not working on (or working very slowly on) the Airbus "family" but announced it to the world around 18 months ago.I am not sure which is the right way to go and companies in FS and in all other kinds of businesses approach this differntly but I still find it interesting.Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Guest jshyluk

It's very interesting that you bring up that exact example of ACES and PMDG. While both companies have differing policies regarding what they share with the public, there seems to be a healthy level of two-way sharing on the development and engineering level. That's not the way it always has been, so it's really good to see that ACES and the developers share amongst themselves, even if the public isn't aware of it. It's not like a Coke and Pepsi thing at all. I don't think even Coke and Pepsi are bitter rivals, except in the media. Flight sim is a niche market of gaming, and it's best when all of the players work in co-operation. Some readers might even be shocked to know that PMDG and Level-D share a lot as well. I sometimes read bashing of one product from the other from the fan-based camps on the forums, but the reality is the companies would really like it if we bought and used all of their products from both developers. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest JimBova

I have to believe that the folks at Coca-Cola would just love it if Pepsi Co. went out of business. Of course that is just me being goofy, I am well aware that the flight simulator developers are a different breed. With that said, I am now very curious about what ACES had to say.

AMD showed this unannounced system at FanCon

it will be announced in the next week or so.new Phenom Quad core CPUs, new chipset with 4 PCI-E slots, 4 RV670 GPUs. This is their fall lineup, called the Spider platform.Seemed pretty nice to me. The cost of the flat-screens will set you back, though. :-).

Guest player1

They are also showing off a brand new powerful DX10 AGP version of their new refreshed video cards.Look for an announce real soon.

They had like 4 Video cards...and the FPS seemed good.anyone knows their processor comparative speed vis a vis Intel?Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter