Sign in to follow this  
mgh

US Airways to merge with Delta

Looks like this might happen. That could really shake up the industry. Maybe finally get some real competition to UAL in western US.Matt

That is a crock of B.S., quite frankly it is a joke. I actually think the Bankruptcy Judges are having a field day with this, to which if I am not mistaken, Delta does not want any part of this transaction.Airways doesn't wanna pay their employees proper salaries (picketing pilots), but want to purchase Delta for 8 Billion. They nees to get their S@#T together first.

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Ya, so far it looks like Delta is saying no thanks, at least publically. But who knows what kind of deals are being talked about behind closed doors. Anything is possible these days.Matt

>Looks like this might happen. That could really shake up the>industry. Maybe finally get some real competition to UAL in>western US.>Doesn't Northwest compete pretty well in the Western US? Or is Northwest not much of a competitor?I know one of their big subsidiaries, Mesaba Air, had some problems..bigger than NWA's problems in fact.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>>Looks like this might happen. That could really shake up>the>>industry. Maybe finally get some real competition to UAL in>>western US.>>>>Doesn't Northwest compete pretty well in the Western US? Or>is Northwest not much of a competitor?>>I know one of their big subsidiaries, Mesaba Air, had some>problems..bigger than NWA's problems in fact.>>>RhettFor trips WITHIN the western US, your pretty much limited to Southwest for non stop flights.UNLESS you happen to live in a hub city for one of the legacy airlines (which I don't)Northwest doesn't have any hubs out here so they aren't much of a competitor.Luckily Southwest has just about every medium to large city completely saturated. But getting to smaller cities can be very difficult and expensive.Matt

'For trips WITHIN the western US, your pretty much limited to Southwest for non stop flights.'LOMAO... :-lol :-lol :-lolthis is truly rich, I have to print this and show to my associates over at Alaska Airlines, Horizon and AM West (US air).

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

>'For trips WITHIN the western US, your pretty much limited to>Southwest for non stop flights.'>>LOMAO... :-lol :-lol :-lol>>this is truly rich, I have to print this and show to my>associates over at Alaska Airlines, Horizon and AM West (US>air).>Sure....Alaska/Horizon is great if you happen to be flying through Portland or Seattle. America West is great if you happen to be flying thru Phoenix or Vegas. If you're not flying thru their hubs, then they suck.I fly pretty much every week within western US. Say what you want about Southwest, but no one else even comes close to them when it comes to point to point trips and frequency of flights.The other issue is frequent flier loyalty. I can either spread my miles between United, Delta, Alaska and America West and get no perks, or I can give it all to one carrier, Southwest.Matt

I really hope this doesn't happen. I worked for Comair over the summer before I left for college and Delta is a great company to work for. I don't know a whole lot about US, but I couldn't stand to see DL get merged with them. Not to mention that I'm a flight ops major in college and this would mean one less company to get a job with when the time comes.

Guest Dakota

acutally I think this would be hearlthy for the US airlines. Less competition would allow the airlines to earn more money and help the industry get out of the financial troubles they have been having. If they do this it would mean more jobs, not less.

If airlines aren't paying "proper" salaries yet are going in and out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection because they can't pay their creditors (US Airways in August 2002/out March 2003/in September 2004/out September 2005 and Delta in September 2004 and still in) then they're frankly not viable and need to get their collective acts together. Simply ncreasing salaries would do nothing to improve matters.