Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vilk

A simple way to dramatically increase frame rates

Guest baksteen33

Howdy, That's a highly interesting post, thanks a lot. Plus it's an excellent example of what roughly to expect in a middle dense region, with one large airport. Entirely or partially jetway-free will mainly add for those who like dense environments like NY with LGA, EWR and JFK. Or Chicago with O'Hare and Midway, LA, SFO, likely London and maybe Tokio. As you might know, our previous advise was to not exceed scenery complexity 'Dense' with hi-end systems, this will certainly be a thing of the past by adding such options. I'm not too sure how we should implement it yet. Make 2-3 groups so you don't disable/enable everything at once? My best system can handle a couple of 'jetways enabled AC' very well. LOL, v.5.1b... :-) Wasn't it v.5.1 six month birthday yesterday!? ;-) We'll need to make some 'dolores' again to safeguard the future of the project some time... It won't be until after FSX SP2. Along these lines, a new, standalone Vista version is in the making too. ;-) FWIW, you should be able to push the IFR slider quite far with the preview schedules. The GA slider usually weighs more. Particularly without jetway configs. Thanks again and kind regards Jaap

Perhaps if there was a file the likes of the 'performance_models' batch file that would remove exit headers from all of the models. In the same way that you now have performance and quality conversion files, there could be 'jetways' and 'no jetways' files. That way the user could easily switch between the two.Great work on the new planes, by the way. I have been following the new aircraft threads on the MTX forum with great anticipation...

Guest deadly

There are NO magic tweaks that will double or triple frame rates.People who keep posting these threads are living in a DREAM WORLD.The graphics engine is a dog with a massive CPU bottleneck. Nothing short of doubling your CPU instructions per second will do it.

>Looking forward to that option. I have been using MTX with>great success...I am currently using it in DX10 mode using the>revised schedule posted on the MTX forum for SP2 compatible>models. There is only about a 1-2 fps drop at KSEA when I>move the traffic sliders from 0 Airline/0 GA to 50/50 (that is>a lot of movements). Of course, I avoided the perf hit of the>jetways by commenting out the exit entries in all of the>models.There are 149 plane folders in MyTraffic/Aircraft folder! How did you do that, did you modify all 149 (or so) Aircraft.cfg files? Could you pls post an example, what exactly you commented out?Many thanks.Dirk.

>You're absolutely right, Bert: that's exactly what I found.>Apart from the occasional tweak - I've added on ASX/G, UTX and>a few aircraft; it runs consistently between 20 and 50 frames>with most everything - where applicable - turned up to max.>I'm happier than I've ever been with the sim. I fly the>Shockwave P40, their Spit and 109; the Do27 occasionaly; I fly>the Eaglesoft Citation II - west coast USofA - almost daily>between two of about five cities, plus the CoolSky/Flight1>MD80 for longer hauls. It's at least 1 flying hour per day,>with perhaps an hour or so on this and a couple of other>sites.>I did this upgrade almost exactly a year ago - it was a leap>of faith - (and $1500 Can :( )and have never looked back.>>:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+Paul, where are your Scenery and Autogen sliders at, your resolution, AAx and AFx?Much thanks,Dirk.

In your situation, with you already having a 512MB video card but only 1 GB of memory, I would suggest that you immediately go out and by another 1 GB of memory.I did that for my laptop, and it did wonders for my system. It didn't actually make FSX perform a whole lot better (there was some improvement), but the system was a dog with only 1 GB, and, after adding the 2nd GB, it became much easier to use, i.e. starting FS, switching to other applications or going to the desktop, stuff like that. With only 1 GB, it was painful.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest baksteen33

Hi Dirk, naaa, only roughly (= ca) 40 aircraft move the jetways. And 'only' the largest series (ca 30 AC) have been in preperation so far. As is, they will be split into 3 groups and it's still considered an exprimental exercise. Nothing is automated yet. A final, automated implementation will likely come with the new version(s) - after FSX SP2. To answer your question about the 250 movements in the other post, just move the traffic sliders accordingly. Max AI densities vary greatly from region to region. For example, 100/100 is ca 1400 movements around San Francisco. So, roughly 15/5(!) is 250 movements. In 99.9% of the areas 100/100 is no prob whilst being conservative with the scenery complexity. The number I mentioned depends on the CPU, 250 was a guesstimate for an AMD X2-4x00. Anyhow, hopefully the thing is up by tomorrow, we're more or less done. @ tohughes, it will probably end up as two (or more) exes in the Aircraftinstallers folder, one to do and another to undo. Right now, I think it makes sense to break it down into multiple groups so you don't throw out everything at once. As stated above, I've only edited (and tested) 30 of the roughly 40 AC in question, 28 models are in now. Hope that's ok for a start. :-) BTW, check out the 3rd pic in the 757 thread. ;-) Cheers and kind regards Jaap

Here is an example of the manual way to do it from the B733MX aircraft.cfg: //{exits} number_of_exits = 2 exit.0 = 0.4, 19.1, -6.0, 2.0, 0 exit.1 = 0.4, -32.0, 4.5, -3.0, 1 Just two forward slashes in front of the bracketed exits header disables the jetways as they now have no where defined to attach to on the plane. I didn't do every aircraft, only the ones that would use jetways at a large airport. Still a lot of files to edit, but it was worth the performance gain. Looks like things are well under way from the MTX gang to do this the easy way, though.

Guest kang

Think of the data path of the flight sim engine like an assembly line.Each pixel you see represents the output of a very large and complex data structure. You're talking hundreds of megs of data.Each bit of that data has to move all around your PC. From the hard drives to main memory. From main memory to the processor's cache. Off the cache and onto the processor. The processor generates output that has to be streamed to the video card. Where's this headed?There isn't any single item that will make an FSX system.The most important corollary to that?Any single item can break an FSX system. (by break I mean stutters blurries etc)Just recently went through a build. I used to do it but in recent years had gotten lazy. Here's some things to consider rig-wise:Fastest processor with the FASTEST FRONT SIDE BUS (the FSB is key)IMO go with a faster dual core rather than a quad unless you specifically know apps you use will benefit from a quad. Most of the time with today's software some of the quad core's are just going to be sitting there generating heat or worse competing with the active cores for bus space. YMMV obviouslyBuy the best mobo you can afford with the latest chipsets and with the highest FSB support you can get. If you don't know what some of those numbers on the newegg listing mean, figure it out. Or ask someone you trust...I went with DDR2 800 memory. It's dirt cheap (so put in 4 gigs even if it's not all used) and plenty fast. Again clock speed is critical. DDR3 is technically faster but apparently has some issues. Any issues are unacceptable with any primary system component, IMO...Single high end video card. Look for a fast clock, a large bus and lots of memory. With FSX it doesn't really need to be extreme. Just look for those qualities. Regarding SLI (using two video cards)... With the current mobo standard, the second card is only pushing data through 4 "pipes" rather than the normal 16. That second 500 card is effectively crippled at the knees...Again with all this, YMMV. Hope that helps!

>Hi Dirk, naaa, only roughly (= ca) 40 aircraft move the>jetways. And 'only' the largest series (ca 30 AC) have been in>preperation so far. As is, they will be split into 3 groups>and it's still considered an exprimental exercise. Nothing is>automated yet. A final, automated implementation will likely>come with the new version(s) - after FSX SP2. >>>To answer your question about the 250 movements in the other>post, just move the traffic sliders accordingly.Thanks, Jaap. I think I've got (or will easily find) a utility that can find all text-based files in a location on your HDD, that contain certain entries you indicate and can replace them with anything else you want. So, I'll try to experiment on my end while waiting for the news from you.Dirk.

>Here is an example of the manual way to do it from the B733MX>aircraft.cfg:>> //{exits}> number_of_exits = 2> exit.0 = 0.4, 19.1, -6.0, 2.0, 0 > exit.1 = 0.4, -32.0, 4.5, -3.0, 1 >>Just two forward slashes in front of the bracketed exits>header disables the jetways as they now have no where defined>to attach to on the plane. >>I didn't do every aircraft, only the ones that would use>jetways at a large airport. Still a lot of files to edit, but>it was worth the performance gain. Looks like things are well>under way from the MTX gang to do this the easy way, though. tohughes76, thank you for the example. I think I'll easily atomate it. There are many utilities that can do that.BTW, do all aircrafts have this [exit] entry? Even those that would NOT use jetways? Dirk.

Guest baksteen33

Hi guys, I would like to quickly note, a.m. method also removes the ground vehicles. We'll be leaving the ground vehicles in the ac.cfgs for the moment being. The upcoming ac.cfgs only have the jetway entry commented out. This should be enough to achieve what we want to. Cheers and kind regards Jaap

>Hi guys, >>I would like to quickly note, a.m. method also removes the>ground vehicles.Jaap, did you mean that commenting out //{exits} would remove ground vehicles? If so, all of them? Weird. My system is Core 2 Extr E6800/ 2GB / 7900GTX, which is still ok compared to the newer components. Sounds like the only reasonable option in my case in order to enjoy better complex and fluid gfx in FSX, is to remove MTX and replace it by UTX or a free package like Tetris, that don't move jetways, but don't remove ground vehilces. Or to wait till you come up with a reasonable result. Honestly, I can't care less about moving jetways with the current hardware. There are much more important details to allocate CPU cycles for. Can't wait for a radical solution from you, I like MT yet. I recall when I installed one of the large traffic packages in FS2004 my FPS actually improved at 80% traffic setting and visibly added planes everywhere (parkings?).

Guest baksteen33

Hi Dirk, This whole exercise is to reduce the amount of animations, not to remove content or so. ;-) Sorry if I wasn't clear. The ground vehicles will still be there according to your GV-slider setting. Unfortunately, we don't have a similar slider for the airport jetways. We can only reduce the amount of jetways by moving the scenery complexity slider left. Since some people are resistant to such an idea, we'll offer modified ac.cfgs for those who like. Finally, the bad news, it won't be today nor likely tomorrow. The good news, we'll probably have a reasonable, easy and final solution much earlier. Since it's likely a matter of a couple of days, we recommend to NOT edit the MTX ac.cfgs before we've presented our solution. Please be a little bit patient. Cheers and kind regards Jaap My Traffic team

Thanks, JAAP. Now it's clear. My Scenery Complexity is @ Very Dense and Autogen is @ Dense, so I know I'm affected. I'll make a backup and try the method described here before you come back with the tweak.