Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

I don't have Preview DX10....help

Guest dwaohio

I don't have preview DX10. I have SP2 installed. I am using radeion 1600 pro and Vista. I have DX10 installed per DXdiag. Iam a little confused here. I am using DX10 and how would I tell? Why don't I have a Preview DX10?Dave

Your video card is not capable of DX10. You'll need something like an nVidia 8600GT or AMD/ATI equivalent.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest dwaohio

Thank you guys, but I still don't understand why I don't have Preview DX10. What does D3D10=1 or D3D10=0 in the GRAPHIC section do? If a card does not support DX10 would it still install DX10 on the computer?Dave

All that the main page in DXDiag is telling you is the highest level of DX that is installed.If you go to the Display tab, it will let you test what is appropriate. What is available to test in the Display tab?I see this confusion about the main page all the time.

Dave,there are 4 parts to DX10:1)DX10 runtime, which is built in to Vista2)DX10 graphics card ( NV 8xxx, ATI, 2xxx )3)DX10 driver for that DX10 graphics cardall these 3 do is get your system ready to run DX10 apps4)DX10-capable apps are the 4th part. Without the last part, the 1st 3 parts of DX10 are lying latent, waiting for an app.If you dont have the 1st 3 DX10 parts, it doesnt matter what you put in the config file.And since DX10 is built-in to Vista, Accel/SP2 are simply installing the 4th required piece, a DX10-capable app.

DX10 is built into Vista...sort of hehe

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |